Track List from Jim's Demo CD

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« on: 19 Apr 2006, 10:56 am »
If you find any issues with the accuracy of the list, please let me know.

Track 1: Dean Peer - UCROSS - Lord's Tundra
Track 2: Jennifer Warnes - The Hunter - Somewhere, Somebody
Track 3: Mary Fahl - The Other Side of Time - Una Furtiva Lagrima
Track 4: Doc Powell - 97th and Columbus - Thank You
Track 5: Ray Charles - Genius Loves Company - Fever (Featuring Natalie Cole)
Track 6: Alison Krauss & Union Station - New Favorite - New Favorite
Track 7: Mario Frangoulis - Sometimes I Dream - Vincero, Ferdero
Track 8: Nils Loftgren - Acoustic Live - Keith Don't Go
Track 9: Ray Charles - Genius Loves Company - Do I Ever Cross Your Mind - (Featuring Bonnie Raitt)
Track 10: Santana - Supernatural - Migra
Track 11: Ray Charles - Genius Loves Company - Here We Go Again (Featuring Norah Jones)
Track 12: Jennifer Warnes - The Hunter - All Over Louisianne
Track 13: Lyle Lovet - Joshua Judges Ruth - She Already Made Up Her Mind
Track 14: Ray Charles - Genius Loves Company - Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word - (Featuring Elton John)
Track 15: Blue Man Group - The Complex - I Feel Love (Featuring Venus Hum)

It's listed in Track#, Artist, Album, Song Title order.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
Re: Track List from Jim's Demo CD
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2006, 04:22 pm »
Hmmmmm.  No classical.  Except a women singing what's supposed to be a tenor solo.  Sigh.

randybessinger

« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2006, 08:56 pm »
Quote from: DMurphy
Hmmmmm.  No classical.  Except a women singing what's supposed to be a tenor solo.  Sigh.
You should record a track and have Jim include it.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2006, 08:58 pm »
How about we put together a user's demo cd?

We could each contribute one song that we think really highlights our HT3's.

George

jsalk

« Reply #4 on: 24 Apr 2006, 02:41 am »
I'd love some ideas on what else to include.  Right now, while they are quite good, there are too many cuts from Ray Charles last album.  There are also one or two others I wouldn't include if I were doing it again today.

I ran into a few nice cuts over the week-end at AK Fest.  I may add one or two of them to the mix.

But I'm always looking for new cuts.  So any ideas would be appreciated.  

And Dennis, if you could recommend some good classical cuts, that would be great.  I have run across numerous recordings I like, but don't know if they are the best performances of those pieces.  You would know better.

- Jim

95bcwh

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jun 2006, 06:08 pm »
Quote from: jsalk
I'd love some ideas on what else to include.  Right now, while they are quite good, there are too many cuts from Ray Charles last album.  There are also one or two others I wouldn't include if I were doing it again today.

I ran into a few nice cuts over the week-end at AK Fest.  I may add one or two of them to the mix.

But I'm always looking for new cuts.  So any ideas would be appreciated.  

And Dennis, if you could recommend some good classical cuts, that would be great.  I have run across numero ...

Jim, I have got the HT3!!!

Still haven't got the time to unpack them yet.. but I want to start ripping your sample cuts into my PC. The list compiled by Zybar only have 15 tracks but I found 16 tracks on the CD you sent me.

Can you give me the latest track list?

Thank you
barry

jsalk

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jun 2006, 12:26 pm »
Barry -

I must have sent you an earlier version of the CD.  I haven't made any changes recently and the list above is current.  Sorry for the confusion.  I have no idea what version I sent you.

- Jim

texas steve

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jun 2006, 12:39 pm »
Barry -

I must have sent you an earlier version of the CD.  I haven't made any changes recently and the list above is current.  Sorry for the confusion.  I have no idea what version I sent you.

- Jim

Barry, the one that Zybar listed is the one I got as well.

95bcwh

« Reply #8 on: 6 Jul 2006, 06:14 am »
Barry -

- Jim

Barry, the one that Zybar listed is the one I got as well.

Steve, yes indeed,  Jim has confirmed through email that indeed it was an older version that I've received, but he's told me that he would send me the latest version...what more can I ask? :thumb:

Toka

« Reply #9 on: 2 Oct 2006, 09:19 pm »
This may be a left-field suggestion, but some of my taste leans towards experimental metal...almost all of it is extremely (to put it mildly) bass heavy...I've never had the pleasure of hearing any Salk products (or anything in that class really), but for me, any 'ultimate' speaker will have to provide the skin-vibrating tones the music requires...the new Om album (Conference Of The Birds) is one that gets the most play around here these days. Just bass and drums, so low-end extension is critical. I know this isn't the sort of thing 99% of your buyers would listen to, but its something I'm curious about all the same.

95bcwh

« Reply #10 on: 2 Oct 2006, 09:38 pm »
This may be a left-field suggestion, but some of my taste leans towards experimental metal...almost all of it is extremely (to put it mildly) bass heavy...I've never had the pleasure of hearing any Salk products (or anything in that class really), but for me, any 'ultimate' speaker will have to provide the skin-vibrating tones the music requires...the new Om album (Conference Of The Birds) is one that gets the most play around here these days. Just bass and drums, so low-end extension is critical. I know this isn't the sort of thing 99% of your buyers would listen to, but its something I'm curious about all the same.

Jim's HT3 is the best I've heard when it comes to Jazz, because it's very revealing, ultra-transparent, the speakers disappear and if you close your eyes, you won't be able to find them. However, the speaker may be too revealing for certain type of music, I have never enjoyed listening to my rock collection, they're too harsh, rock&roll typically sounded too thin. In general, I find that bad recordings are more enjoyable when played in my car audio system than Jim's HT3. So bear that in mind when you choose your speakers.

Toka

« Reply #11 on: 3 Oct 2006, 02:50 pm »
Thanks for the input, that is something I will certainly have to keep in mind...as I've always been a 'music first' kind of guy, I have many, many albums that won't ever be considered 'well recorded'. Whether they be metal, fusion, etc. Something that works great for some things (at the expense of others) probably won't fly too well...still want to give them a try at some point though (really trying to make it out to Denver). Again, I appreciate the info!  :thumb:

pugs

« Reply #12 on: 3 Oct 2006, 02:58 pm »

Jim's HT3 is the best I've heard when it comes to Jazz, because it's very revealing, ultra-transparent, the speakers disappear and if you close your eyes, you won't be able to find them. However, the speaker may be too revealing for certain type of music, I have never enjoyed listening to my rock collection, they're too harsh, rock&roll typically sounded too thin. In general, I find that bad recordings are more enjoyable when played in my car audio system than Jim's HT3. So bear that in mind when you choose your speakers.

I totally agree.  Jazz is great on the HT3 but some of my harder music sounds kind of harsh.  I am curious to see how the HT3-N compares.  I would be willing to give up some clarity in favor of more forgiveness.

cdorval1

« Reply #13 on: 3 Oct 2006, 10:09 pm »
I'm not sure I agree that the HT3 is good for only certain types of music.  Just this morning I was listening to Led Zeppelin 2, and it never sounded better.  It's true that the recording is not the best in the rock universe, but it's great to hear everything that's on it--which is what the HT3 does.

It is true that the speakers are very revealing.  If you're listening in a reflective room, the way certain albums are produced may sound bright.  But the way to handle that is not to buy less-revealing speakers.  I would suggest either room treatment, tube equipment, or a good tone control.  All three of these things will likely make everything sound better, instead of making some things sound "better" and others worse.

Craig

jsalk

« Reply #14 on: 3 Oct 2006, 10:58 pm »
I have read the last few posts with great interest and have a few observations I might share. As always, your opinions may vary.

Speaker design is all about trade-offs.  This is because there is no such thing as a perfect speaker driver.

Every driver exhibits a certain level of distortion and has a certain amount of veiling.  Distortion adds the illusion of warmth and veiling masks detail.

Some people profess to prefer a "warmer" speaker.  This can be accomplished by utilizing a driver with higher distortion levels.  But keep in mind here, that the "warmth" is not in the music being listened to.  It is being added by the speaker drivers to the signal being reproduced.

Veiling relates to the driver's ability to reproduce detail.  The higher the levels of veiling, the less detail will be apparent in the reproduced sound.

The Veracity model speakers were designed using some of the lowest distortion, least veiling drivers on the market today.  The idea was to produce a speaker that would let you hear all the detail available in a recording.  (This was of my own choosing and probably due to the fact that I have worked in recording studios over the years.  In this environment, it is critical that you be able to hear everything in the mix.)

The magnesium-coned Seas Excel W18 is an extremely stiff, extremely low-mass driver.  This allows it to reproduce minute detail in a recording (little veiling).  While this renders great recordings in an extremely life-like fashion, it can also lay bare any deficiencies in a poor recording.

The HT3-N will use the Nextel version of the W18.  Since the motor structure is essentially the same, I would suspect that distortion levels will be similarly low.  But it uses a Nextel-coated paper woofer with higher mass.  My guess at this point is that it will have more inherent veiling than the magnesium-coned W18.

So there is a good chance it will be slightly more "forgiving."

The cabinets that will be used for the first pair of HT3-N's had final coats of topcoat applied today.  They will now have to sit about a week before we can rub them out to a high-gloss finish.  Once that is done, we can install the drivers and A/B them with a pair of stock HT3's. 

This will probably take place in about a week and a half and I will let you know what we hear.

- Jim

Toka

« Reply #15 on: 5 Oct 2006, 04:53 pm »
Jim,

Thanks for (yet again) a thorough and detailed explanation of the whats and whys behind what you do...greatly, greatly appreciated!  :thumb:

For those who stated that they didn't enjoy their rock albums as much, can you share exactly which artists/albums you tried? My collection/taste lies heavily in '70's rock (Black Sabbath, ELP, Colosseum, Captain Beyond, Deep Purple, you name it) to classic fusion (Return To Forever, Mahavishnu Orchestra), to more 'adult' classic stuff (Steely Dan, Moody Blues, etc) to some modern electronica (trance/techno, downtempo), to classical. While I don't listen to the old Anthrax LP's as much as I used to (maybe once a month), I'd still want something that would present them in an enjoyable matter. I don't want to steer into a 'this vs that' discussion, but the other speakers I was considering are Legacy Focus 20/20's (or Whispers if I can swing a good deal)...while some people harp on them for whatever reason, they have a reputation for being very clear yet dynamic, and 'great for rock' (which carries a stigma in some circles).

I suppose what I'm looking for probably doesn't exist, and as Jim said, its all about trade-offs...maybe 2 systems are in order? Can something go from '80's metal to Miles Davis to Vivaldi and not stumble somewhere along the line?

EDIT: Wanted to add that I've been a loyal Polk fan for years (SDA's) but am looking to gain more clarity, especially in the midrange, without losing much in terms of soundstage and power...I felt the Polks 'did it all' as well as could be expected, but am looking for something that 'does it all, just better'.  :green:

John Casler

« Reply #16 on: 5 Oct 2006, 05:27 pm »
I'm not sure I agree that the HT3 is good for only certain types of music.  Just this morning I was listening to Led Zeppelin 2, and it never sounded better.  It's true that the recording is not the best in the rock universe, but it's great to hear everything that's on it--which is what the HT3 does.

It is true that the speakers are very revealing.  If you're listening in a reflective room, the way certain albums are produced may sound bright.  But the way to handle that is not to buy less-revealing speakers.  I would suggest either room treatment, tube equipment, or a good tone control.  All three of these things will likely make everything sound better, instead of making some things sound "better" and others worse.

Craig

Speaking of Led Zepplin.

Without a doubt, and a great addition to any Reference CD is the classic "Stairway to Heaven".

If you are not "off put" by its overplay on FM, the sonic qualities of this cut are incredible and on a great system will no doubt please any Zepplin and or 70's Rock fan.

From the opening acoustic guitar "on the listener's left", to the voice of Robert Plant, to the incredible drumming of John Bonham, this is a great cut content wise, as well as technically.

bahorn1

« Reply #17 on: 11 Apr 2008, 01:20 am »
Jim or anyone:  Do you have an updated list of the tracks on Jim's demo CD?  I just got my STs a week ago.  And the songs on the demo CD I received don't quite match up to the list on this thread.  Close though.  Thanks.

Legendlime

« Reply #18 on: 11 Apr 2008, 06:39 am »
Here's the track list that I got with mine in February.

Track 1: Dean Peer – UCROSS – Lords Tundra
Track 2: Jenifer Warnes – The Hunter – Somewhere, Somebody
Track 3: Mary Fahl – The Other Side of Time – Una Furtiva Lagrima
Track 4: Doc Powell – 97th and Columbus – Thank You
Track 5: Ray Charles – Genius Loves Company – Fever (Featuring Natalie Cole)
Track 6: Alison Krauss & Union Station – New Favorite – New Favorite
Track 7: Mario Frangoulis – Sometimes I Dream – Vincero, Ferdero
Track 8: Nils Loftgren – Acoustic Live – Keith Don’t Go
Track 9: Ray Charles - Genius Loves Company – Do I Ever Cross Your Mind – (Featuring Bonnie Raitt)
Track 10: Santana - Supernatural – Migra
Track 11 Ray Charles - Genius Loves Company – Here We Go Again - (Featuring Norah Jones)
Track 12: Jennifer Warnes – The Hunter – All Over Louisianne
Track 13: Lyle Lovet – Joshua Judges Ruth – She Already Made Up Her Mind
Track 14: Ray Charles - Genius Loves Company – Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word – (Featuring Elton John)
Track 15: Blue Man Group – The Complex – I Feel Love (Featuring Venus Hum)

bahorn1

« Reply #19 on: 13 Apr 2008, 08:40 pm »
Here's the track list that I got with mine in February.

Track 1: Dean Peer – UCROSS – Lords Tundra
Track 2: Jenifer Warnes – The Hunter – Somewhere, Somebody
Track 4: Doc Powell – 97th and Columbus – Thank You
Track 5: Ray Charles – Genius Loves Company – Fever (Featuring Natalie Cole)
Track 6: Alison Krauss & Union Station – New Favorite – New Favorite
Track 7: Mario Frangoulis – Sometimes I Dream – Vincero, Ferdero
Track 8: Nils Loftgren – Acoustic Live – Keith Don’t Go
Track 9: Ray Charles - Genius Loves Company – Do I Ever Cross Your Mind – (Featuring Bonnie Raitt)
Track 10: Santana - Supernatural – Migra
Track 11 Ray Charles - Genius Loves Company – Here We Go Again - (Featuring Norah Jones)
Track 12: Jennifer Warnes – The Hunter – All Over Louisianne
Track 13: Lyle Lovet – Joshua Judges Ruth – She Already Made Up Her Mind
Track 14: Ray Charles - Genius Loves Company – Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word – (Featuring Elton John)
Track 15: Blue Man Group – The Complex – I Feel Love (Featuring Venus Hum)

The track list on my demo CD is the following, at least from what I could piece together.  Most of the tracks are the same as listed previously, but in a different order with some song changes.

Track 1: Jennifer Warnes – The Hunter – Somewhere, Somebody
Track 2: Ray Montange
Track 4: Ray Charles - Genius Loves Company – Here We Go Again - (Featuring Norah Jones)
Track 5: Nils Loftgren – Acoustic Live – Keith Don’t Go
Track 6: Lyle Lovett – Joshua Judges Ruth – She Already Made Up Her Mind
Track 7: Ray Charles – Genius Loves Company – Fever (Featuring Natalie Cole)
Track 8: Jennifer Warnes - ???
Track 9: George Winston - ???
Track 10: Ray Charles - Genius Loves Company – Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word – (Featuring Elton John)
Track 11: Santana - Supernatural – Migra
Track 12: Ray Charles - Genius Loves Company – Do I Ever Cross Your Mind – (Featuring Bonnie Raitt)
Track 13: Mario Frangoulis – Sometimes I Dream – Vincero, Ferdero
Track 14: Jennifer Warnes – The Hunter – Lights of Louisianne
Track 15: Doc Powell – 97th and Columbus – Thank You
Track 16: bass???
Track 17: Blue Man Group – The Complex – I Feel Love (Featuring Venus Hum)

No issues though.  I was just trying to understand who all the performers are.