My Harman (JBL M2) Trip

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: My Harman (JBL M2) Trip
« Reply #200 on: 9 May 2017, 12:16 am »
I agree... I have no idea where all this misunderstanding is coming from and I apologize about that... But I still hold the opinion that a speaker like the M2 is a tool and it's a less effective tool without a dedicated room. I'll stop there as I don't want to go 'round in circles.  :lol:
This statement makes zero sense though.  So basically you're saying that the most honest speaker that doesn't color the sound is a tool? 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #201 on: 9 May 2017, 12:25 am »
This statement makes zero sense though.  So basically you're saying that the most honest speaker that doesn't color the sound is a tool?

Yes, it's designed so studios can produce audio with great accuracy, a tool. IMO that's the point of the M2, it's perfect, if you want to retain that you need a dedicated room. I do realize it'll still be better than a regular cone 'n' dome speaker as far as room interaction.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #202 on: 9 May 2017, 12:56 am »
Yes, it's designed so studios can produce audio with great accuracy, a tool. IMO that's the point of the M2, it's perfect, if you want to retain that you need a dedicated room. I do realize it'll still be better than a regular cone 'n' dome speaker as far as room interaction.
So you prefer to listen to something that's colored and not accurate then.  Got it.  That says a lot about your preferences.   :o

JoshK

« Reply #203 on: 9 May 2017, 01:08 am »
I too fail to understand the logic and reasoning.  It almost sounds like you suggesting that once you leave idealism you should go far from it. 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #204 on: 9 May 2017, 01:12 am »
So you prefer to listen to something that's colored and not accurate then.  Got it.  That says a lot about your preferences.   :o

Dude, please. That's ridiculous. At this point I could claim that you have no idea that a speaker's performance is affected by the room it's in, which is my entire point... but whatever, you're impossible. Again, I'm out.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #205 on: 9 May 2017, 01:15 am »
I too fail to understand the logic and reasoning.  It almost sounds like you suggesting that once you leave idealism you should go far from it.

I'm NOT suggesting that. Sorry for the confusion.

JoshK

« Reply #206 on: 9 May 2017, 01:19 am »
I am not really trying to argue, but what I was saying is I don't get your rationale.   It isn't really irony for putting a better measuring speaker with better polars in a less than perfect room over an inferior speaker in same less than perfect room.  Do you get my rationale?

Edit:  I don't really care about much outside of the fact that I like what I am listening to more than anytime and any system that I've personally had/heard.    So the rest is theoretical and only entertainment for me at this point, not to be dismissive.   I just like what I have I guess, which I couldn't ever really say truly before.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #207 on: 9 May 2017, 01:20 am »
Dude, please. That's ridiculous. At this point I could claim that you have no idea that a speaker's performance is affected by the room it's in, which is my entire point... but whatever, you're impossible. Again, I'm out.
No you can't.  Do you know how to use a microphone and REW?  That shit doesn't lie, you might want to try it.  Further, you're totally missing the point that a real CD speaker performs better in any room than your typical speaker. 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #208 on: 9 May 2017, 01:26 am »
No you can't.  Do you know how to use a microphone and REW?  That shit doesn't lie, you might want to try it.  Further, you're totally missing the point that a real CD speaker performs better in any room than your typical speaker.

Do you even lift, bro?  This has gotten ridiculous... you must be a big hit at parties.  :lol:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #209 on: 9 May 2017, 01:28 am »
Do you even lift, bro?  This has gotten ridiculous... you must be a big hit at parties.  :lol:
So your way of solving this is to throw an insult?  Gotcha.  Certainly shows how professional you are.   :duh:

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #210 on: 9 May 2017, 02:02 am »
So your way of solving this is to throw an insult?  Gotcha.  Certainly shows how professional you are.   :duh:

You've been condescending and insulting to me the entire time. Take a hint from literally everyone else in the thread that understands how to communicate without being condescending and insulting. There's nothing to "solve". Again, I'm out and I actually mean it this time.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #211 on: 9 May 2017, 02:04 am »
You've been condescending and insulting to me the entire time. Take a hint from literally everyone else in the thread that understands how to communicate without being condescending and insulting. There's nothing to "solve". Again, I'm out and I actually mean it this time.
Great!   :wave:

lowtech

« Reply #212 on: 9 May 2017, 04:47 am »
Is Crown is using their own switching topology in their amps?  The marketing blurb is somewhat vague.

The latest technology based on Crown's proprietary and patented DriveCore™ technology, these amplifiers are the next generation of PWM technology using cutting edge Class D amplifier topologies.

I'm also curious how good the digital inputs are.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #213 on: 9 May 2017, 06:03 am »
Good questions Lowtech.

I've owned active speakers by Quad, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't think they were remarkable in some ways. However speakers with built in amps are what they are, which in essence is a dead-end as far as upgrading goes. They’d be a whole lot more appealing if it were possible to upgrade the amps and choose whatever you want.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #214 on: 9 May 2017, 09:26 am »

Sorry I didn't catch this earlier, the childish stuff is now over, right?  Please don't answer, I'll assume we're acting like adults from now on.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #215 on: 9 May 2017, 11:04 am »
Good questions Lowtech.

I've owned active speakers by Quad, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't think they were remarkable in some ways. However speakers with built in amps are what they are, which in essence is a dead-end as far as upgrading goes. They’d be a whole lot more appealing if it were possible to upgrade the amps and choose whatever you want.

You can get the M2's with just the London BSS Processor which is the DSP module. Then it will be up to you to get 4 channels of amplification.

But the Crown 'coup de grace' is for those that want simplicity and to get off the audiophile merry go round of tweaking & upgrading. It's a personal choice.

Best,
Anand.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #216 on: 9 May 2017, 12:31 pm »
You can get the M2's with just the London BSS Processor which is the DSP module. Then it will be up to you to get 4 channels of amplification.

But the Crown 'coup de grace' is for those that want simplicity and to get off the audiophile merry go round of tweaking & upgrading. It's a personal choice.

Best,
Anand.
That's true.  Also, after speaking with the JBL guys face to face there wasn't any desire or need to go with my own amps.   :D

rabbit

« Reply #217 on: 9 May 2017, 02:36 pm »
its not hard to clone the M2. minidsp 2x4HD ($205 including volume and dac) duplicates the transfer function using a combination of FIR and IIR. files are availible at audioheritage.org. even the $80 2x4 can do it close enough.

http://reconingspeakers.com/product/jbl-m2-horn-lens-5025594/
the D2 driver has become unavailible, but shows up on ebay from time to time.

JoshK

« Reply #218 on: 9 May 2017, 03:11 pm »
Rabbit,  this is true and some have done it.   I didn't want to go the DIY route and I got the M2s on 'sale' because it was the end of the fiscal year for JBL, so they discounted their stock at the time.   I just happened to be in the right place at the right time.    But from what I've read the D2 driver can be fragile, so keep that in mind which looking for used drivers on the bay. 

JoshK

« Reply #219 on: 9 May 2017, 03:13 pm »
Going back to putting good speakers in a less than perfect room.  Here is a post describing Toole's own room and rationale.  It is definitely not what I'd consider the audiophile standard for dedicated rooms. 

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1454077-jbl-m2-master-reference-monitor-88.html#post52484753