Omega's in a small room placed up against the wall in the corners?

AvsFan

Looking at an office set up in a small 12x10 room. Need to put the speakers up against the wall and in the corners of the room for WAF. Are Omega's okay with this or should I look elsewhere? Owned a pair of Super 3 XRS's awhile back and LOVED them.
« Last Edit: 9 Jan 2020, 07:09 pm by AvsFan »

FireGuy

Louis from Omega does some fine one-off designs.  Maybe he could do a front ported version with the RS5 that could accommodate your corner wall requirement with aplomb.

Jolly

That is an excellent suggestion Fireguy! I am sure Louis has custom built speakers with circumstances similar to those described by the poster and working with Louis is always a pleasure.

RDavidson

Why not get the 3xrs again?  They're better with some boundary reinforcement, so I think corner placement may work nicely for you.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Why not get the 3xrs again?  They're better with some boundary reinforcement, so I think corner placement may work nicely for you.
+1

zmaggio

I use my SAM XRS in a very small room, and they are essentially in the corners. It works great, and as someone already mentioned, the boundary reinforcement helps add some bass and heft.

TWINSKI66

Late reply; but for others with similar physical spacing constraints...I can offer that Louis is building the Super 3 HO monitors with front ports for my near-wall desk top application.  I’ll report back when delivered.  My digital chain set up is PC>Audiophilleo 1>Border Patrol SEi DAC>LTA MZ3 pre-amp>Schiit Aegir.  The Super 3s will replace Spendor A1s (84db) that I currently have in operation (if proven a ‘better’ match up).

jmolsberg

^ very nice. Try that lta mz3 directly to the omegas for a mind-blowing experience 😉

TWINSKI66

Will do.  I have an amp switcher that’ll allow me to run the MZ3 or the Aegir.  I’ve tried the MZ3 with the A1s...not too shabby there either.  It’s crazy what 1 watt can do.:o

Update:  Here’s an update pic of the front ported speakers.

« Last Edit: 9 May 2020, 02:27 am by TWINSKI66 »

AvsFan

Louis from Omega does some fine one-off designs.  Maybe he could do a front ported version with the RS5 that could accommodate your corner wall requirement with aplomb.

So a month later and after a couple of conversations with Louis, that's EXACTLY what he suggested.  He knows how much I like the RS5 driver, so he is doing a dual RS5 driver in a diagonal configuration with a wide baffle SAM cabinet, port on the front. This should be one heck of a nice speaker!!!!! Will post pics once done. Just trying to figure out what finish I want to go with. 

AvsFan

That is an excellent suggestion Fireguy! I am sure Louis has custom built speakers with circumstances similar to those described by the poster and working with Louis is always a pleasure.

Always! His speakers sell themselves, but man working with him and just talking to him is so easy and always a good time. He's a great guy! All except for his taste in football teams. I told him now that the 20 year run of Patriots and the dynasty are no longer, it's time to become a Bronco fan. HAHAHA  :D Don't think I convinced him.   

AvsFan

Will do.  I have an amp switcher that’ll allow me to run the MZ3 or the Aegir.  I’ve tried the MZ3 with the A1s...not too shabby there either.  It’s crazy what 1 watt can do.:o

Yes it is. And can you imagine what doubling that power does?
2 watts per channel is even more fun!  :D
I plan on going back to tubes with this purchase. I LOVED my 2 watt Decware SuperZen. 

FireGuy

So a month later and after a couple of conversations with Louis, that's EXACTLY what he suggested.  He knows how much I like the RS5 driver, so he is doing a dual RS5 driver in a diagonal configuration with a wide baffle SAM cabinet, port on the front. This should be one heck of a nice speaker!!!!! Will post pics once done. Just trying to figure out what finish I want to go with.

An excellent resolution from Louis.  Way interested in your report once they're delivered, mounted and tested.  All his finishes are superb.  No way you can make bad choice there.   Good choice too on the RS5 driver.

AvsFan

An excellent resolution from Louis.  Way interested in your report once they're delivered, mounted and tested.  All his finishes are superb.  No way you can make bad choice there.   Good choice too on the RS5 driver.

Thanks and will do. I am trying to come up with something wild and different but keep coming back to a light chocolate brown wood with black streaks throughout. Kind of like a Zebrawood.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
Thanks and will do. I am trying to come up with something wild and different but keep coming back to a light chocolate brown wood with black streaks throughout. Kind of like a Zebrawood.

Zebrawood is a good choice if you like the grain.  It is striking.  Since you mention a light chocolate brown, I'll share that my Zebrano's have taken on a much warmer and somewhat darker tone than when new.  When new, it was more like straw color and dark striped grain.  My understanding is that exposure to the light creates the change.

Photos the monitors they are viewed on make colors difficult to accurately convey, but you can probably get the idea from this comparison:

: 

Ebony has a similar striped grain but much darker and wider stripes in a coffee like color contrasting.

....Pete

jmolsberg

avs,  def check out omega instagram for some ideas if you have not. btw, he basically configured my rs5 drivers exactly the same, except floor standers. they are seriously good looking and sound even better!

https://www.instagram.com/omegaspeakers/

AvsFan

avs,  def check out omega instagram for some ideas if you have not. btw, he basically configured my rs5 drivers exactly the same, except floor standers. they are seriously good looking and sound even better!

https://www.instagram.com/omegaspeakers/

Thanks for the link. So many options to chose from. Why can't Louis just be like all the other mass produced speakers out there and give us a black or cherry vinyl wrap? Geesh. So inconvenient to have to chose your own real wood veneer!  :D