New CAM Ordered - Anxious and Wondering What to Expect

DRHamp

Just ordered a pair of CAMs a few days ago - I'm excited, anxious, and wondering what to expect.

I've never heard single driver speakers before, so this is a bit of a leap for me.  My listening space is small, 12x12x8 and pretty inflexible as to placement.  My system setup consists of a Metrum Ambre streamer(Tidal & Qobuz) into a Schiit Yggdrasil DAC into one of two tube amplifiers.  The amplifiers are a vintage Fisher X-101ST (30wpc) or a Raven Nighthawk MK3 (20wpc) with the Nighthawk getting the majority of my ear-time.  My current speakers are Fritz Fritzies.

I'm very happy with this setup and it works well for me....... but, the Omega speakers have intrigued me for a year or so and I've been on the fence regarding a purchase.  After several email exchanges with Louis, I came off the fence and purchased a pair of CAMs. 
I don't know what the lead time is, but I'm already getting anxious and a bit nervous about the purchase.
(also, this is my first post and I need to get three of them in :) )

justforfun

Re: New CAM Ordered - Anxious and Wondering What to Expect
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jul 2020, 11:26 am »
Welcome DRHamp,
I was just like you earlier this year prior to getting my Modern CAMs (Super 3 HO sized cabinet). Be patient, you will be rewarded. For the first ~100 hours you will go from "wow these are amazing" to "what they heck did I buy" and back again. They need a lot of break in. I wish I had a spare sound proof room that I could of played them loudly in for a week or two.

I've had some amazing speakers over the years, and I'm sure your Fritz's are too. What I like most about my Omegas is the tone and dynamics. Everything I throw at them and at any volume sounds great. I don't know if it's the high sensitivity, full range driver, Alnico or his cabinets but it's a winning combination for me. 

Good luck and I hope you enjoy yours as much as I am mine!

DRHamp

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jul 2020, 12:02 pm »
@justforfun thanks for the break-in advice - I'll certainly keep that in mind when I get them in hand.  Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I'm hoping the CAMs are end-game for me.

Doody

• Troublemaker
« Reply #3 on: 31 Jul 2020, 12:17 pm »
Have fun with your new toys when they arrive! I have a pair of CAMs in a 9x11x8 (roughly) room (pic below). I also have one of Louis' Deep Hemp subs which was a monstrously great upgrade to the CAMs.

Doody

Kray

« Reply #4 on: 2 Aug 2020, 12:27 am »
The wide body CAMS were my first pair of Omegas. Liked them so much I bought the tower version of Super Alnico XRS. It’s hard to believe what can come out of a single little full range driver.

As Doody stated, the addition of a sub makes this a killer combo if you’re one to like an little bottom extension.