Breathing Room....

Papajin

Breathing Room....
« on: 16 Aug 2007, 06:39 pm »
How much room is required behind the various rear-ported Salk speakers?  Do the HT3's require the same amount of room as the ST's, or are there differences between different speaker models?  Hoping to get a response from Jim and/or Dennis, as I've never really seen this answered anywhere.

Thanks!

carusoracer

Re: Breathing Room....
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2007, 06:42 pm »
I do not have my owners packet in front of me but 18" Minimum sticks out in my memory.
I would say anything less than that would not let them breathe enough unless they are Front ported.

I'm sure Jim will chime in.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2007, 07:04 pm »
Jim can put the ports on any side you like when he builds them.  Distance, can't help you there with any accuracy.  I'd say a few inches is all that is needed to let them puff away, but the bigger issue would be the amouont of bass build-up you would have that close to any wall or corner.  Tremendous amount of energy generated by the HT3 TC Sounds woofer.

95bcwh

« Reply #3 on: 16 Aug 2007, 08:07 pm »
I have mine about 8 inch off the back wall although Jim recommended 18 inch. But I have 28 acoustic panels (4 inch each made of 8 lb/ft3 mineral wool) in my room so the bass buildup wasn't an issue.

jsalk

« Reply #4 on: 16 Aug 2007, 10:03 pm »
I normally recommend 18 - 24" because it is a safe distance in most rooms.  I have seen implementation where they are closer, but room treatment was used to prevent excessive mid-bass and bass.

I haven't had time to play with the SongTowers in this regard, but my sense is that it would be far less critical.  First, the transmission line cabinet is more free-flowing.  Second, the speakers do not play as deep so they are far less likely to excite room modes.

The easiest way to tell of you are too close is to listen to the bass.  If there is too much, give them more breathing room.

- Jim