Name that speaker

chadh

Re: Name that speaker
« Reply #20 on: 10 May 2007, 04:45 pm »

Verity, Candor, Concord...it does seem everyone's been hitting the thesaurus.  As we all know, a thesaurus is a book, and books cannot be trusted.  They rely too heavily on facts, and definitions.  I say, it's better to trust your gut.

So how about we try something a little less thesaurus-y; something that resonates a little more with the old gut-bucket?  How about "The Truthiness"?

I'm sure you could even get a certain minor TV celebrity to promote the speakers on late-night Comedy Central!

Chad

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #21 on: 10 May 2007, 04:46 pm »
I believe Dennis is married.  Being his first speaker to come to the commercial market, should he name them after her?  How about his favorite instrument?  Pet?  Me?  (  :

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #22 on: 10 May 2007, 04:57 pm »
Keeping with the letter number ID........ DMJS-1

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #23 on: 10 May 2007, 05:00 pm »
As a general proposition, I would prefer to keep me out of the name.  The best feature is the bass, and I had nothing to do with it.  Dave Littel, Paul K of the PE board, and Martin King all helped out on that directly or indirectly.  All I did was the crossover, and that wasn't much of a challenge with these drivers.  

WEEZ

« Reply #24 on: 10 May 2007, 05:21 pm »
Well, Dennis, the crossover may not have been too much of a challenge (your words, not mine) , but it appears as though the final design should be called 'Challenger'.

WEEZ

Nels Ferre

« Reply #25 on: 10 May 2007, 06:17 pm »
I don't think Challenger is a good name.  Remember the space shuttle?  It blew up. I don't know if naming gear after something that exploded is such a wise idea.

WEEZ

« Reply #26 on: 10 May 2007, 06:32 pm »
 :lol: Nels, I obviously hadn't thought of that...

WEEZ

R Swerdlow

« Reply #27 on: 10 May 2007, 06:42 pm »
Salk Synergy - Interaction of components or conditions in which the total effect is greater than the sum of the individual parts

EDIT:  Nevermind, Klipsch has used that name.  Next time, I'll do the google search first.

TomW16

« Reply #28 on: 10 May 2007, 06:46 pm »
The EPIC.  Definition: Surpassing the ordinary especially in size or scale

PhishPhan

« Reply #29 on: 10 May 2007, 06:52 pm »
How about something Greek...

Apollo- among other things the god of music.

Circe- the daughter of the sun known for her ability to turn men into animals. aa Sometimes I feel like an animal when I dance around to my music. Only when I'm alone of course. :oops:

Hermes- the messenger god. God of the boundaries and the travelers who cross them. A messenger from the gods to the humans...

or

Iris- Hermes' interpreter for the humans.

I especially like the last two; the speakers serve as a messenger of the music gods to us mere mortals, or something like that. :lol:

chrismercurio

« Reply #30 on: 10 May 2007, 07:15 pm »
How about the Salk Classic

C

mcgsxr

« Reply #31 on: 10 May 2007, 07:24 pm »
Salk and Peppa.

Terrible, but could not resist!   :lol:

jsalk

« Reply #32 on: 10 May 2007, 10:04 pm »
prpixel -

So, the price of these is going to be about $1500?  Are you going to offer custom finishes for an upcharge?

Well, we can certainly customize the finish.  However, I think the price differential would be a deal breaker.  It would put you too close to the cost of the QW's and HT2's.  Its all a matter of labor.

If we can deal with quantities of pre-built standard cabinets, the price goes down quite dramatically.  And that is what the price goal was based on.

So the answer is, yes we can.  However you probably wouldn't want to pay the freight.  We hope to offer extremely nice "standard" cabinets in finishes that will meet almost everyone's needs without resorting to custom work. 

- Jim

PeteG

« Reply #33 on: 11 May 2007, 01:29 am »
The only name it can be. SM2.1

dB Cooper

« Reply #34 on: 11 May 2007, 02:46 am »
As a general proposition, I would prefer to keep me out of the name.  The best feature is the bass, and I had nothing to do with it.  Dave Littel, Paul K of the PE board, and Martin King all helped out on that directly or indirectly.  All I did was the crossover, and that wasn't much of a challenge with these drivers.  
I read somewhere some speaker designer- can't remember who- saying that in designing a good speaker, 20% of the design effort was in choosing, designing and tuning the enclosure and drivers, and 80% in getting the crossover(s) right. So don't sell yourself short!
Frank Van Alstine has referred to your crossover designs as "genius level", and as a fan of his equipment for years, I take that as high praise indeed.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #35 on: 11 May 2007, 03:12 am »
Those percentages are usually correct.  And Frank's favorable response to my crossovers has been extremely gratifying, because he has about the best set of ears I have encountered. But in this case, it's Martin's scientific approach to transmission lines that really has made the difference.  And the benefits of his work aren't limited to bass quantity and quality.  Before Martin really figured out how to model TL's, this type of bass loading generated higher order harmonics that colored midrange reproduction. (I've worked with those designs, including Bud Fried's classic 2-ways).   That was a complete waste, since a long damped line held out the potential to dissipate the back wave from a woofer and reduce colorations over its operating range.  Martin figured out how to achieve the bass benefits of TL loading while eliminating its negative effects in the midrange.  As a result, a design that is optimized according to his calculations achieves superior bass and midrange clarity.  My only contribution was to choose a woofer that would work well in a MLQWTL configuration and that would require minimal shaping from the crossover. The tweeter crossover, particularly for the Vifa dx!9, required a bit more work, but nothing ground breaking.

R Swerdlow

« Reply #36 on: 11 May 2007, 12:51 pm »
...And the benefits of Martin King's work aren't limited to bass quantity and quality.  Before Martin really figured out how to model TL's, this type of bass loading generated higher order harmonics that colored midrange reproduction. (I've worked with those designs, including Bud Fried's classic 2-ways).  That was a complete waste, since a long damped line held out the potential to dissipate the back wave from a woofer and reduce colorations over its operating range.  Martin figured out how to achieve the bass benefits of TL loading while eliminating its negative effects in the midrange.  As a result, a design that is optimized according to his calculations achieves superior bass and midrange clarity.

I think Dennis has stated, more clearly and correctly, what I was thinking when I earlier said,
...the sound (of a TL cabinet's bass) differs to my ears, from that of either a low-Q sealed woofer or a properly designed ported woofer.  Without a better way to describe it, a transmission line produces a third type of bass sound - a horse of a different color - that sounds superior in quality and quantity.

The transmission line's lack of midrange coloration combined with the prodigious bass response is what made the new MTM sound so startlingly good.
« Last Edit: 11 May 2007, 01:56 pm by R Swerdlow »

miata1

« Reply #37 on: 11 May 2007, 02:13 pm »
How about Musical Expression?

DSK

« Reply #38 on: 11 May 2007, 03:19 pm »
Salk Cantata  .... Choral work

Salk Canticle .... Song or chant

brj

« Reply #39 on: 11 May 2007, 05:08 pm »
Jim, just for clarity, are you offering both tweeter/crossover options, and if so, which one does the $1500 price correspond to, and what is the price of the other?

"Salk Cantata" sounds pretty good...

If you want to stay with "family" names:

Salk Candor
Salk Precision
Salk Sincerity
Salk Fidelity

Or, if you want a $0.50 word:

Salk Verisimilitude