Increasing AKSA Iq

ergo22

Increasing AKSA Iq
« on: 26 Jan 2003, 03:29 pm »
First of all I have been watching the AKSA succes for some time and played with the plan to buy it myself some day also.

The question is that would it be possible to run AKSA with 1-1.5A of current and thus make it a class A amp. Or is the design such that this would be of too much strain on VA stage?

The question arouse as I basicly have a good power supply + case + heatsinks to make 2 AKSA monobloks. The heatsinks are 0.3 k/W so would be a huge overkill for class B amp.

Ergo

AKSA

• http://www.aksaonline.com
Increasing AKSA Iq
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2003, 11:51 am »
Hi Ergo,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Aspen forum!  It is nice to have you here......

The question is that would it be possible to run AKSA with 1-1.5A of current and thus make it a class A amp. Or is the design such that this would be of too much strain on VA stage?

The question arouse as I basicly have a good power supply + case + heatsinks to make 2 AKSA monobloks. The heatsinks are 0.3 k/W so would be a huge overkill for class B amp.

Yes, I can't see why not.

However, in all my experiments with Class A on an AKSA, I found that sound stage was adversely affected as I moved beyond about 65mA if Iq.

I don't think it would strain the VA stage, although it's possible that the DA might need to ramp up the stage current from the present half milliamp to around 1.5mA.

The other consideration is the transistors.  I do not know how they would handle 36W continuous dissipation;  not too well, I'd imagine.  Mosfets are preferable in this situation, from my experience;  bipolars do not handle thermal abuse well.

If you were to move the 55W AKSA to 1A Iq, then the amp would still be Class AB because 1A into 8R is only 16Vpp, which corresponds to only 4W.  This is a long way from even a mild 20W pure Class A like the 21A Sugden.

My overall feeling is, probably not, but I must be honest and say I neither designed the amp for such duty nor have I tried it......

Thank you for your inquiry,

Cheers,

Hugh