AKSA 55 Output inductor.

Grumpy_Git

AKSA 55 Output inductor.
« on: 25 Jan 2003, 06:02 pm »
:?:  This is almost definitely a dense question :oops: , but :

On the output inductors theres a resistor floating in the middle and I dont have a clue what the hells going on with it, do I just solder the leads to the same pads as the inductor???

I've just got my 55 and finished the power supply which seems to work fine.
It took just over a week to get round the world - zoom zoom ! !

I'd really appreciate a reply to this as I'm desperate to get started on the board and dont want to blow anything up, plus keeping hugh as hassle free as possible.

Thanks in advance everyone/anyone.

Nick.

PSP

AKSA 55 Output inductor.
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2003, 06:36 pm »
Hi Nick,
Solder Away!!  I had the same question two weeks ago... The output inductor for the 100w AKSA likes to have a little resistance in parallel (to insure that any resonances are damped).  The '55 does not need this resistor (doesn't hurt anything either), but in order to simplify life Hugh makes only one version of the inductor, the one with an internal parallel resistor.

So, remove some insulation from the inductor lead, wrap the resistor leads around the bare spot and solder it down.  

Good luck, and take care.  My '55s (I have one that I'm listening to, two more '55 boards to add for biamping, and another set of '55s for my bedroom system) sound so damn good!!

Peter

Grumpy_Git

AKSA 55 Output inductor.
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan 2003, 07:03 pm »
thats all i needed to know. Back to the iron

Thanks

Nick.

dayneger

AKSA 55 Output inductor.
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2003, 05:17 pm »
Do these resistors need to be in the middle of the inductor, or can I run it outside?  Probably messes up the inductor, I'd imagine, it's just that I bought some resistors with the right rating, but they're too fat to feed through the inductor!

AKSA

AKSA 55 Output inductor.
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jan 2003, 08:16 pm »
Dayne,

You can run the resistor either in or outside the inductor.  No problem either way.

Some background;  this inductor was added to the 100W AKSA as a result of slight oscillation at low levels around 2.5MHz on certain loads.  It scotches this completely with no sonic penalty.  Since inventory control is fast becoming one of my challenges, I decided to offer a damper resistor with all the prebuilt inductors used in the AKSAs.  So now it's used in the 55W as well as the 100W.

Cheers,

Hugh