ST-RT vs SCST (ER15RLYs vs W15s w/ RAAL)

music_lover_v2

ST-RT vs SCST (ER15RLYs vs W15s w/ RAAL)
« on: 20 May 2012, 04:33 am »
Has any one compared the STs with RAAL with Supercharged SongTowers?

The only difference is Seas W15 mid-bass drivers in SC-STs in a smaller cabinet. Though I hear a lot of wonderful stuff about RAAL, I believe unless you have a good MF driver, the low treble range can easily spoil the overall experience. I think it is a given that the W15 complements the RAALs well. How well does the ER15RLYs used in ST-RTs complement the RAALs? Does it spoil the RAAL experience in any way?

That said, would it make sense to just use W15s in the ST-RT and get a cheaper speaker than the SC-RTs?

Also, does the Salk speakers come with the frequency response plot for each pair, along with the birth certificate?

Big Red Machine

Re: ST-RT vs SCST (ER15RLYs vs W15s w/ RAAL)
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2012, 11:27 am »
Gosh, hasn't this been covered a few times here?

Some recent discussions:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=104856.0

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=102872.0

music_lover_v2

« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2012, 04:28 pm »
BRM-

Yes. Most posts compare the STs with OW2 with SC-ST.
I'm interested in knowing about ST-RT (w/RAAL) vs SC-ST.
From the links you posted, it is obvious that SC-STs have a better bass than the STs.

More specifically, I'm looking to see if the ER15RLYs will complement the RAALs well and not, and whether the $700 upgrade to RAAL in the regular STs will help someone get the full RAAL experience with no lower treble area pollution. The smaller footprint of the SC-ST is something I can live without.

The real price difference between the ST-RTs and SC-STs is $500. (Given the SC-RT comes with a $300 hardwood trim upgrade already - ST-RT will cost $2995 with this upgrade).

Nuance

« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2012, 10:31 pm »
Well, the W18's in the HT2-TL compliment the RAAL tweeter extremely well, and since the W15 is just the little brother I'd imagine it will sound very similar, if not the exact same without the added bass extension.  If I had upgrade right now and couldn't afford something from the SoundScape line, the Super-Charged SongTower's would be my choice.

Unless something has changed each speaker comes with a birth certificate but not an individual FR plot.  If you asked for one, though, I'd bet Jim would happily accommodate.

ricardojoa

« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2012, 02:35 am »
I dont think there is anything to worry about the er15 to begin with. I dont think Jim would paired with the Raal if it doesnt complement well.  Of course the W15 in the SC ST are going to be better, thast just to be exected.