V25 OLED Display

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Handcrafted high performance audio
    • Tortuga Audio
Re: V25 OLED Display | Early Demo
« Reply #20 on: 30 Apr 2018, 12:56 am »
It's been a long time in coming but here is an overview of the new OLED graphical display that will ship with our preamps starting later in May.

The video can be found here:  https://youtu.be/TWll71OEVM4

In the video the display is shown through a light gray acrylic lens that replace the dark gray lens currently used with our preamps with our existing 7-segment displays. The scrolling lines and such are artifacts of the phone's video camera. The OLED display is quite clear, bright and steady.

goofytwoshoes

Re: V25 OLED Display
« Reply #21 on: 30 Apr 2018, 03:48 am »
Gorgeous display!  Will I be able to buy this, and new faceplate etc., for the V25 that I assembled from a kit?

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #22 on: 30 Apr 2018, 12:22 pm »
Gorgeous display!  Will I be able to buy this, and new faceplate etc., for the V25 that I assembled from a kit?

In a word, yes. While we're still working out the details, owners of V25 based preamps will be able to retrofit the OLED display into their existing preamps using the same mounting bar after some modifications to same. The same front panel can be used although we recommend the acrylic inlay be replaced with a lighter shade of gray. Same applies to acrylic panels used in kits. Of course we'll also be offering this upgrade as a turnkey service including the required firmware update.

Jens

« Reply #23 on: 9 May 2018, 10:47 am »
Hi Morten! The OLED display looks fabulous :) Very informational compared to today - good work!

As I have my Tortuga in a cupboard (and would like to keep it there), I plan to get an OLED display and mount it in a frame under the cupboard, which is hanging on the wall.

To do that, I would need a longer ribbon cable from the Tortuga to the display, say around a foot long.
  • Would the additional length cause any issues?
  • Could the infrared sensor stay in the Tortuga, or does it need to be in the OLED display assembly
Finally, any idea what the OLED display price will be yet?

Cheers,

Jens

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #24 on: 9 May 2018, 02:25 pm »
Hi Morten! The OLED display looks fabulous :) Very informational compared to today - good work!

As I have my Tortuga in a cupboard (and would like to keep it there), I plan to get an OLED display and mount it in a frame under the cupboard, which is hanging on the wall.

To do that, I would need a longer ribbon cable from the Tortuga to the display, say around a foot long.
  • Would the additional length cause any issues?
  • Could the infrared sensor stay in the Tortuga, or does it need to be in the OLED display assembly
Finally, any idea what the OLED display price will be yet?

Cheers,

Jens

While I'm not sure on the practical limits of cable length but I'm quite confident 1 foot cables would be no issue since I've already been using cables that long with prototypes/testing. The OLED data cable uses parallel communication (8 bits sent simultaneousy) so it's both very fast and far less susceptible to noise etc. compared to a serial data cable of comparable data speed.

The OLED display proper is mated to a Tortuga Audio OLED adapter/interface board. The adapter board has:  1) a 2x7 pin header for the parallel OLED display/power ribbon cable;  2) a 2x5 pin header for the IR/Encoder ribbon cable;  3) 1x4 pin header for interfacing the Encoder via its cable, and; 4) a 3 pin solder socket for attaching the IR receiver module.

You could connect the Encoder and IR Receiver directly to the V25 board and not to the OLED Adapter Board which would eliminate the secondary 2x5 pin ribbon cable to the OLED but it's usually more convenient to to interface these to the OLED Board.

OLED display pricing is still being finalized but is expected to come out somewhere between $100-200 including adapter board (already attached), both ribbon cables, and IR Receiver. I hope to have that finalized within the next few days.

Cheers,  :thumb:
Morten

jkoestner

« Reply #25 on: 10 May 2018, 11:41 am »
Morten,

Which display will have the largest volume readout in size? The OLED display is very nice, but will the digits be larger than the pair of numbers in the standard display?

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #26 on: 10 May 2018, 06:19 pm »
Morten,

Which display will have the largest volume readout in size? The OLED display is very nice, but will the digits be larger than the pair of numbers in the standard display?

Here you can see the 2 displays side by side (OLED is on and the 7-seg is off). The OLED screen is 0.85 by 3.2 inches whereas the fixed height 7 segment display numbers are only 0.57 inches tall. I'm using a large 48 point font for the volume display numerals which is just a tad bit larger than the 7 segment in height. The OLED also uses 3 other smaller fonts for other text/numbers.

The volume display number font size could be further increased but doing so would crowd out the volume bar and most other info. I'll wait and see how people react to the OLED display using this font size before changing anything.

When placed behind a gray acrylic lens the 7 segment is easier to see because it can burn brighter but the OLED is an overall better display for interacting with the remote control and in normal lighting situations is quite visible from a typical listening positioning.

MadKid

« Reply #27 on: 22 May 2018, 07:23 pm »
Hi Morten,

Personal I think the volume fonts are big enough to view at a distance, across the sitting room, with a restrained feel that would not catch focus while listening to music.

Will the display module being available for purchase anytime soon?

Ken

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #28 on: 22 May 2018, 09:54 pm »

Will the display module being available for purchase anytime soon?

Ken

Yes! Probably starting as soon as this weekend. We have around 90+ display units in stock. Finishing up the firmware has taken longer than I'd planned but that's par for the course. In addition to adding the OLED display we've also been doing numerous "under the hood" updates to the V25 firmware which is now 1 year old. Some of that work got way more involved than expected but it's essentially done and is now undergoing final testing and tweaking. Almost there!  :thumb:

Jens

« Reply #29 on: 23 May 2018, 11:44 am »
It's looking great, Morten! And I want one  :D

Will you be sending out an email newsletter, or do we just watch this space for news?

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #30 on: 23 May 2018, 12:47 pm »
Will you be sending out an email newsletter, or do we just watch this space for news?

Both!  :thumb:

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #31 on: 27 May 2018, 04:02 pm »
The new OLED Display Module is now available for purchase by the DIY community. Over the next few days we'll also be announcing an upgrade program for owners of existing V2/V25 versions of Tortuga Audio preamps.

The OLED Display Module is a 256 x 64 pixcel white graphic OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode) display for use with Tortuga Audio's LDR.V25 ("V25") LDR preamp controller board including all V25 versions of Tortuga Audio preamps including kits.

The price for the OLED Display Module including control cables, installed IR receiver module and V25/OLED enable jumper is $149. Encoder with cable is optional since most existing owners of Tortuga Audio V25 preamps already have an encoder. We currently have over 90 units in stock.

The link to purchase the OLED display is here:  https://www.tortugaaudio.com/products/diy-preamp-components/oled-display-module/

The OLED display product  page on our website is still quite spartan. We'll be adding more information over the next several days. Here are some pics.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #32 on: 30 May 2018, 09:00 pm »
We've updated the information on the new OLED graphic display to include a detailed writeup on the initial release of the control menu structure which is shown below.

More info on the $149 OLED graphic display can be found here: https://www.tortugaaudio.com/products/diy-preamp-components/oled-display-module/

The same info can also be found in the online product documentation here: https://www.tortugaaudio.com/support/product-documentation/?section=oled-v25-display

MadKid

« Reply #33 on: 4 Jun 2018, 01:37 pm »
Hi Morten,

Is the new firmware undergoing its final stage of development?

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #34 on: 4 Jun 2018, 06:23 pm »
Hi Morten,

Is the new firmware undergoing its final stage of development?

The OLED display has been released, we've shipped new preamps with the OLED display, and as such the updated OLED firmware is now in commercial release. I'll be adding the latest firmware version to the website later this week so those with existing V25 units can update their boards.

Randy

« Reply #35 on: 4 Jun 2018, 11:20 pm »
Morten,
   I'm thinking owners of non DIY versions will have to send in their units for the new display install.  Right?  (I'm not in any hurry,  however.)

Randy

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #36 on: 5 Jun 2018, 02:12 pm »
Morten,
   I'm thinking owners of non DIY versions will have to send in their units for the new display install.  Right?  (I'm not in any hurry,  however.)

Randy

We've gone around the track several times on how best to approach this but after numerous prototypes we concluded that the right way to incorporate the new OLED display into both existing and new preamps is to:

1) machine a new pocket on the back side of the existing front panels
2) expoxy the new display in place into that pocket using a small amount of epoxy glue in each of the 4 corners of the main OLED board
3) remove and replace the existing dark acrylic front panel inlay with a less dark acrylic front panel inlay for better visibility
4) re-orient the IR receiver module attached to the OLED display into a vertical position in order to get clear view into room
5) add the OLED enabling jumper to the V25 board
6) load the OLED enabling firmware into the V25 board
7) add the new 2x7 OLED control cable
8 ) if required, replace the shorter existing 2x5 display cable with a longer version
9) attach the existing encoder control cable to the OLED display adapter board
10) remove and discard the existing display mounting board (existing preamps)

Given the above steps, the only practical way to handle upgrading existing V25 based preamps (or upgrading V2 to V25) with an OLED display is to ship the unit here and have us do the conversion work. We'll be adding that as an upgrade service soon.

Best,
Morten :thumb:

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #37 on: 5 Jun 2018, 07:58 pm »
Just posted a new article on the story behind the new OLED Display. Some light reading for the inquisitive.  :thumb:

Getting The OLED Out - https://www.tortugaaudio.com/getting-the-oled-out/

Randy

« Reply #38 on: 5 Jun 2018, 11:55 pm »
We've gone around the track several times on how best to approach this but after numerous prototypes we concluded that the right way to incorporate the new OLED display into both existing and new preamps is to:

1) machine a new pocket on the back side of the existing front panels
2) expoxy the new display in place into that pocket using a small amount of epoxy glue in each of the 4 corners of the main OLED board
3) remove and replace the existing dark acrylic front panel inlay with a less dark acrylic front panel inlay for better visibility
4) re-orient the IR receiver module attached to the OLED display into a vertical position in order to get clear view into room
5) add the OLED enabling jumper to the V25 board
6) load the OLED enabling firmware into the V25 board
7) add the new 2x7 OLED control cable
8 ) if required, replace the shorter existing 2x5 display cable with a longer version
9) attach the existing encoder control cable to the OLED display adapter board
10) remove and discard the existing display mounting board (existing preamps)

Given the above steps, the only practical way to handle upgrading existing V25 based preamps (or upgrading V2 to V25) with an OLED display is to ship the unit here and have us do the conversion work. We'll be adding that as an upgrade service soon.

Best,
Morten :thumb:

Thanks, Morten. From what I had read about it from your postings, that's about what I figured.  I hope it's not as complicated as it sounds.

Randy

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #39 on: 12 Jun 2018, 01:46 pm »
Existing owners of Totuga Audio V2 and V25 passive preamps can now opt to have their preamps upgraded with the OLED display. Because this upgrade requires the machining of the backside of existing aluminum front panels, it will require that the preamp be shipped back to us for this upgrade service.

Here are the links:

OLED upgrade for V25 preamps:  https://www.tortugaaudio.com/products/services/v25-oled-display-upgrade-service/

OLED upgrade for V2 preamps requires a combination of upgrading to the V25 plus OLED: https://www.tortugaaudio.com/products/services/v25-preamp-upgrade-service/