Newbie and NCore stereo build

vinchanity

Newbie and NCore stereo build
« on: 24 Aug 2014, 12:53 pm »
I would like an ncore400 stereo build and like a good solid aluminum enclosure like Aluminati. They don't do custom one offs anymore. Anyone have recommendations, selling there's or have info on group custom buy?

mopgcw

Re: Newbie and NCore stereo build
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2014, 04:32 pm »
I have started working with A-Tech Fab to see is we can build one using their cases.  Have build a couple PCs with them, great solid work.  Trying to coordinate the back panel. and see if everything fits in their 2500.

best George

vinchanity

« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2014, 04:14 am »
Hey George, they've got some nice work. Makes me think that a nice dual mono or stereo ncore with some liquid cooling would be fun. Let me know if you get anywhere with your contact. Do you have an idea of what you want in back panel?

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2014, 02:10 pm »
Hey George, they've got some nice work. Makes me think that a nice dual mono or stereo ncore with some liquid cooling would be fun. Let me know if you get anywhere with your contact. Do you have an idea of what you want in back panel?

Why would you need liquid cooling? A pair of ncores run pretty cool with natural cooling - you only get cooling issues if you try to pack 6 of them (for 5.1 or something) in a small enclosure...

vinchanity

« Reply #4 on: 29 Aug 2014, 06:29 pm »
@Julf
Thanks for the information. I wasn't being entirely serious with the cooling comment and I'm sure you are right that the ncore400 builds do not run hot enough to need cooling but I did notice that the data sheet for ncore400 shows:

"Air Temperature Tambient 65 °C or Lower improves lifetime"
"Heat-sink temperature TSINK 90 °C Thermistor limited. User to select heat sink to insure this condition under most adverse use case "

Not sure how to ensure that the heat sink doesn't get to 90 but I guess since most people are building with case as heat sink without cooling this is a non-issue even for a dual mono build.

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
« Reply #5 on: 29 Aug 2014, 07:48 pm »
I think the point is that the thermistor protects the modules if temperatures for some odd reason get to 90 C. I have actually put temperature sensors inside my enclosures, and even with 4 ncores in one box, it doesn't get near 60 C (the enclosures have cooling fins as end panels).

mopgcw

« Reply #6 on: 3 Sep 2014, 07:52 pm »
I am thinking of building 3 cases for my 5 channel system. 2 + 2 + 1.  so the back panels would need 1 IEC, 2 sets of binding posts and 2 balanced inputs in each case. I think the width and depth of the cases will work, need to make sure the height works for the SMPS600 and the spacers.