I, Tonya

Wind Chaser

I, Tonya
« on: 7 Feb 2018, 06:54 pm »
Another terrific film loaded with Oscar worthy performances. Allison Janney was brilliant, I heard the script was written with her in mind as Tonya's mom. Margot Robbie also does an excellent job playing Tonya. All the characters are well played. This movie will no doubt change the way you view Tonya Harding. Two thumbs all the way up!  :thumb: :thumb:

who?me?

Re: I, Tonya
« Reply #1 on: 7 Feb 2018, 07:04 pm »
 I agree,

But I would say I enjoyed this as a movie that had a bit of alternate or dark humor. But I say that in a good way. I mean, how can you tell the story with the seriousness of it all, the macabre nature of it all, and still retain a sense of humor about it?
 There is quite a bit of comedy to lighten up the story as the characters delve deeper and deeper into their own madness. As such, It’s a hard story to tell, but very intelligently written and directed

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 7 Feb 2018, 07:29 pm »
I agree,

But I would say I enjoyed this as a movie that had a bit of alternate or dark humor. But I say that in a good way. I mean, how can you tell the story with the seriousness of it all, the macabre nature of it all, and still retain a sense of humor about it?

Probably because rednecks are so hard to understand, much less take seriously. I genuinely felt sorry for Tonya, but in spite of her enormous talent, that's the world she grew up in.

There is quite a bit of comedy to lighten up the story as the characters delve deeper and deeper into their own madness. As such, It’s a hard story to tell, but very intelligently written and directed

Couldn't agree with you more.  :thumb:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 7 Feb 2018, 08:21 pm »
I do want to see this one!  But I wonder how it resolves one of her biggest issues?  Harding had tremendous skill and technical abilities but was somewhat held back because she didn't meet the beauty norms we of figure skaters; the most popular ones are willowy, lithesome and attractive and Tanya Harding was not.  Yet they cast arguably the most beautiful woman alive to play her- does the casting work?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 7 Feb 2018, 08:40 pm »
I do want to see this one!  But I wonder how it resolves one of her biggest issues?  Harding had tremendous skill and technical abilities but was somewhat held back because she didn't meet the beauty norms we of figure skaters; the most popular ones are willowy, lithesome and attractive and Tanya Harding was not.  Yet they cast arguably the most beautiful woman alive to play her- does the casting work?

The real problem wasn't her looks but rather what she adorned herself with. She even called the judges out on it very pointedly and said that this was pure bullshit and they knew it too. As far as looks go Tonya was more attractive than Nancy.

By all means go see the show, it's kind of like a cross between a Shakespearean tragedy and episode of the Trailer Park boys. I dare say you will look differently on her and how we were made to understand what happened back then. Poor girl endured a lot and was fucked over by virtually everyone. I have nothing but respect for her.

stlrman

« Reply #5 on: 2 Mar 2018, 02:00 am »
Hey Rob , Margo is pretty? She looked tough and homely !!
Fantastic film. The wife and I both give it a solid 9 out 10 stars!!
I just looked up some photos of OMG !!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 2 Mar 2018, 05:12 am »
If they made her look homely then the makeup folks deserve Oscars! :lol:  Kind of like how they made Charlize Theron look hideous for Monster.  Still haven't had a chance to see it but hopefully I can catch it soon.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #7 on: 2 Mar 2018, 05:26 am »
Here's Charlize before and after.

charmerci

« Reply #8 on: 2 Mar 2018, 11:49 pm »
Here's Charlize before and after.

Sometimes it's hard to say - how do you know that the two photos are not actually 'after and before'???!!!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #9 on: 3 Mar 2018, 01:23 am »
Sometimes it's hard to say - how do you know that the two photos are not actually 'after and before'???!!!

Good question. I guess it speaks to every woman's potential to look good, or not so good - not that any of that matters.  :lol:

SlushPuppy

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jun 2018, 01:23 am »
I watched this yesterday on my way back from Italy. I thought it was terrific. Every actor was brilliant  :thumb:

artur9

« Reply #11 on: 4 Jun 2018, 02:57 am »
I thought the movie was a stunner.  And, yeah, it really does affect how you view Tonya and that whole episode.

Margot Robbie continues to astound me.  I don't think I've seen her do two roles the same.  But her effort here was stellar.

Mike B.

« Reply #12 on: 4 Jun 2018, 03:10 pm »
I lived in the Portland Oregon area when she was coming up and through her ups and downs. I thought the script was very good. Rather than go into all the events in detail, it gives a nice summery. It makes her a hero in a way which I find odd. She made a number of life decisions which were ill advised. Don't be mistaken. She is not a innocent victim. The acting was first rate.

undertowogt1

« Reply #13 on: 4 Jun 2018, 03:12 pm »
Yup,

I really liked this movie as well. I feel sorry for Tonya if this was portrayed accurately

Delacroix

« Reply #14 on: 18 Jun 2018, 02:57 am »
Agree, it was a surprisingly compelling movie. The mother in the movie was hilarious but deadly..ouch. Curiously I watched a TV documentary the next night about the real life Harding story. The similarities between the real people and actors who played the husband and his crazy 'special-ops' friend were uncanny, they were practically identical. But nobody can tell me Tonya really looks anything like Margot Robbie.  Regardless, the movie is well worth watching, a slice of life that is real, difficult, humorous and sad in equal measure.