NuForce MCP-18 Impressions

abernardi

NuForce MCP-18 Impressions
« on: 7 Jan 2015, 06:21 am »
Hey all!  I just received a brand new MCP-18 tonight and put it in my system  :icon_lol:.  It's replacing a Luminous Audio Axiom Signature passive volume control.  The last pre-amp I had in the system was a Dodd battery tube preamp, so I'm used to pretty clean sound.  Anyone have experience with this unit?  I'm trying to integrate a TV and DVD player into my good stereo system and trying to do it as invisibly as possible.  The MCP-18 seems to fit the bill nicely on paper.  I've only had it in the system for an hour, so it's not fair to judge it yet.  I'll burn it in for a few days and see if it improves.  So far the sound is a little brittle and shiny.  I think I'm just worried about losing the magic I have in the system now.  I do like the little remote.  At first it appears to be one of those cheapo tiny remotes you get with a off brand electronics, but it's actually quite solid and has a good feel.  The unit itself is solid and (thankfully) the front led display shuts off a few seconds after you make an adjustment.  The volume increases and decreases in VERY small increments, that's nice.  Anyway, I'll update as I get more time on this thing.  I think it best I not listen to it until it has about 40 hours on it though...

Anyway, I'd love to hear any experience you all have with this box

jk@home

Re: NuForce MCP-18 Impressions
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2015, 10:19 pm »
So how is the MCP working out for you?

I also picked up a MCP-18 on sale from Audio Advisor, and it replaced a Dodds. Not one of his units, but a diy jobber I whipped together using a Goldpoint control plus one of his buffer. The Nuforce unit is definately more detailed, and I could see it getting a touch "brittle and shiny". I had mine at first hooked up to my old Class A/B amp, and it made a great improvement in resolution and depth. But one thing I thought was that the sound stage recessed back more (almost too much).

Anyway, I bought it so I could run balanced cables to some new Crown Class D amps I wanted to try out, and their forward nature balanced out the pre's soundstage nicely. Still waiting now for the Class D's to breakin, but the Nuforce is doing fine.

Regarding the remote, I posted this opinion in the Nuforce section. My original remote was damaged from the factory, and Audio Advisor was told a replacement would not be available. NuForce had just been sold to Optima, and AFAIK, the MCP-18 is now discontinued. AA found one from another unit, so bailed me out. Point is, I highly recommend you pick up a learning remote control, transfer the codes of the NuForce unit to it, then stash the original remote somewhere safe. I use a URC RF20.