Why Centered tweeters VS offset tweeters

skalos

Why Centered tweeters VS offset tweeters
« on: 30 Aug 2013, 10:42 pm »
Hi Danny,

To piggy back on the TMM question...

I see many manufactures using tweeters that are not centered on the front baffle for, I believe, diffraction purposes.  Your designs all have tweeters that are centered on the front baffle.  Why did you make this decision?

Steven

Danny Richie

• Facilitator
    • http://www.gr-research.com
Re: Why Centered tweeters VS offset tweeters
« Reply #1 on: 30 Aug 2013, 10:51 pm »
Hi Danny,

To piggy back on the TMM question...

I see many manufactures using tweeters that are not centered on the front baffle for, I believe, diffraction purposes.  Your designs all have tweeters that are centered on the front baffle.  Why did you make this decision?

Steven

Yeah it can become very necessary to offset the tweeter as baffle size starts getting larger. On a very small baffle it is not much of an issue. It also can depend a little bit on the shape of the tweeter face plate and if it is a shallow wave guide or not. This will vary the surface reflections.

My measurements have shown that on a small baffle it really doesn't change the response much in the on axis.

However, it can cause the horizontal off axis to look a little differently from left to right because moving left or right changes the time delay between the drivers and causes a phase shift. This can be especially bad of the offset is vary far or if the crossover point is vary high. Either of those things will cause a significant phase shift. Often I see the phase shifts in the horizontal plane to be much more of a signal imbalance than the surface reflections.

So I am not a big fan for most applications.