The RESISTOR thread. The one ohm resistor on Magnepan high or midrange

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
I’m enjoying reading this thread and looking forward to your final conclusions.  :popcorn:

But I too am in the no resistor camp. They always seem to hold great promise of happy listening days to come but eventually they always disappoint. IMO, all resistors should be gathered by the truckload then fired out of canon towards Buffalo ... such was my great disapointment. Like Rollo, I had better luck with a new preamp and cables.

josh358

Heh, Wendell Diller at Magenpan would disagree. The way he puts it is that running the speakers with no resistor is like running a speaker with a tweeter level control turned all the way up.

It's really going to depend on the acoustics of your room, of course -- if you have a dead room, you'll want to run without a resistor. The smaller resistor would be for an average room and the larger one for a live one. The only "right" here is what sounds right in your room.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Last Edit: 9 Sep 2019, 07:58 pm by Elizabeth »

Elizabeth

« Last Edit: 9 Sep 2019, 07:59 pm by Elizabeth »

Elizabeth

LesterSleepsIn

.... Or use a switch. A switch would add at least one more resistor hanging there, and add in the switch contacts..

Aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhh hhhhhhh!!!!

Elizabeth

LesterSleepsIn

One bad rabbit.  :thumb:

Aren’t they all ...

LesterSleepsIn

I am only writing this stuff because a few people said they like to read about what I am doing to the system.

:popcorn:

:whip:

Elizabeth

Elizabeth

« Last Edit: 9 Sep 2019, 08:00 pm by Elizabeth »

Endo2112

• Particularist

It maybe a bit late for your particular quest, but when I was flipping resistors, I ended up with the Path Audio over the Duelands so you may want to give them a go as well once you decide on a resistance level.

Cheers,

Elizabeth

Elizabeth

Elizabeth

« Last Edit: 9 Sep 2019, 08:01 pm by Elizabeth »

Elizabeth

Elizabeth

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
   Elizabeth do you get the same sonic result using digital source as opposed to an LP with the resistor changes ? I'm beginning to think you my be looking up the wrong tree.

charles
« Last Edit: 10 May 2019, 06:35 pm by rollo »

Elizabeth

LesterSleepsIn

After 'breaking in a few more days... I have realized the PATH are better than the Duelund 'overall'.
THe Duelund are superior in the upper registers, in every way, However they also tend to accentuate the upper registers a tiny bit too much. (even for me. and I LIKE the treble a LOT) sort of accentuate the treble and leave the lower mids behind sort of thing.
Where the PATH Audio resistors are more balanced. and allmost as transparent. (and they may get MORE SO as time goes on.

In general I am satisfied.. And my actual work on the midrange resistors is done IMO.
(I am NOT going to give some sort of 'review' of the sound differences beyond what I have written so far)

I have already started planning on my next tweak project.. of wood platform supports, and roller ball etc.. All those in transit.

Wow, that was some extensive research. Sounds like you’re on the right Path now. Not surprised that the Dueland tend to accentuate the upper registers a tiny bit too much, accentuate the treble and leave the lower mids behind. (I have found that most add-on resistors lean in that direction.) Happy,and a bit surprised, to hear the Path are far better than the OEM Maggie transistors.

Good on ya and looking forward to the platform and roller ball experiment.  :popcorn:

Best,
Lester