News - The TAP Preamp is now the MF Audio Pre-amp

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
News - The TAP Preamp is now the MF Audio Pre-amp
« on: 6 Sep 2006, 01:54 am »
Hello!

Well, 'News' is maybe a bit of an exaggeration but there is a change coming. Starting in October the TAP pre-amp will become the new Music First Pre-amp. For those not familiar with their products MF Audio is an extension of Stevens and Billington - who wind the TVC's for us and others as well. Their website is:

http://www.mfaudio.co.uk/

The new TAP has worked out really well for the first round buyers - a couple comment's were:

"The new preamp is beautiful and working flawlessly. It is amazing at just how pure and transparent this unit is. We are astounded every day. "

And from a previous user of a NOH silver TVC pre-amp:

"I think more should know about how good your TAP is! In this world of insane audio prices, I truly feel that your latest product is a Best Buy and should be at the top of any audiophile's list. I continue to be amazed with how good the TAP sounds in my system"

I am really happy myself with both sonics and the added operational smoothness and functionality over my previous pre-amp designs. Back to the MF Audio connection. Quite some time back I discussed with MF Audio ways of adding a remote to their design. We could have just done a motorized switch like I did in the NOH but once the new TAP modules were done this kinda felt like using an 'old news' design. The TAP modules offer so many features just not possible with the older motorized solution. Another option was to just put the TAP parts into a different box for MF Audio to sell - but that just felt kinda wrong...... So we decided to join up and both offer the same design under the MF Audio nameplate.

The design will be the same - the marking on the front will change but that is all. Because MF Audio has sold mostly via resellers the price will likely need to rise a bit - this is why some time back I removed my original pricing from my website. If you have already contacted me about getting one then the original pricing will still be used for your order. Additionally I have arranged with S&B to allow orders received in the next couple weeks time to be sold at original pricing - so anyone who was considering ordering but who has not e-mailed yet does not see any increase in prices. Final pricing for orders after that timeframe are just being worked out now. We both are trying hard to keep the cost as low as we can.

I will soon have a few other designs for the DIY world including:

- The TAP-X diy version for home brew projects using the TAP parts.
- The FLEX Pre-amp case that can be built as a traditional Hardwired TVC (using the parts from the NOH pre-amp)
- The TRIK Controller - a separate TAP control unit - particularly usefull for DIY projects - more to come on that next week.
- The PRM1 controller - a very small front panel controller for retrofit and DIY applications.
- A series of alternate cases and enclosures including cost effective resistor based modules and a few input board options

I will have pics of all these in the next week or so. These above DIY parts will still be available direct to keep those costs as low as we can.

I Hope covered most details - please post questions as they come up!

Thansk!

John

riverdog

Re: News - The TAP Preamp is now the MF Audio Pre-amp
« Reply #1 on: 10 Sep 2006, 03:53 pm »
First and foremost, congratulations John... acknowledgement at last, if it were required, well designed products by small manufacturers can do more than challenge the big boys.

However, from a consumer's perspective, this smells like bad news. The fear is that MF will push the prices beyond the reach of many, certainly on this side of the pond. Their sub spec, pre retailed on thse shores for 1500 pounds setrling (that's near 3000 US Dollars).

John, I sincerely do not want to it to rain on your parade. You deserve all the success the new deal may bring. I just hope there will be more cost effective products in the Bent Audio stable for those of us with shallower pockets.

Best,
Shamsur

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 10 Sep 2006, 05:57 pm »
Hello!

Your concern was exactly what mine was - but we are working hard to keep that cost as low as we can. Also we will have alternate products (lots of them are almost done right now) based on the TAP modules and similar to the hardwired pre-amps that came before it that will still be availiable direct.

I have been really surprised at how much resistance the price of the TAP has been to sales. Although I have shipped quite a few units now lots of folks seem to be scared away when crossing the $2K level. The unit offers so much more than the NOH did and the pricing so far has been about $500 more than NOH for a fully configured unit - to me it is a no brainer for that price difference....... Part of my thinking in this is that with MF Audio's history of selling the simple no remote unit at that $3K or so price then we can should be fine offering the TAP unit if we can price it right. It is a huge leap in features compared to the original MF Audio Unit. I will post final pricing as soon as we have it worked out - most likely this comming week. Info on all the new products by months end.

Thansk!

John

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 14 Sep 2006, 12:51 pm »
Hello!

Just a quick update. We are still working out final "Music First" pricing - it is going well and we'll have it within a week or so. After that point I'll have a few more weeks to sell them at the old pricing. MF Audio have done a series of listenning tests and are quite happy with the performance. One of their local resellers in the UK just was testing earlier today and reported back right away:

"
We have a local retailer here in Hastings and he borrowed the remote pre to have a listen. He’s just called me and said it’s the best sound he and his colleague have ever heard. He used words like ‘outstanding’, ‘awesome’ and ‘incredible’. 
"

I also am making good progress on the kit versions and the new Trik controller is virtually done. I'll have pics of all the new stuff next week.

Thansk!

John

denjo

« Reply #4 on: 14 Sep 2006, 02:39 pm »
Hi John
Congratulations! I am delighted that you are finally getting the compliments, recognition and fulfillment that you deserve for introducing such a phenomenal piece of audio equipment as the TAP, not only in the genius and novelty of the concept but for the brilliant execution as well! It is well ahead of its time, bringing with it the vast possibilities of expanding on an incredibly good system. Much as I am glad of the MF alliance, I am even more glad that I have a piece of equipment with the "Bent Audio TAP" badge! I wish you every success with this new development and hope that more audiophiles will have the opportunity to try for themselves how good your latest TVC passive preamp really is!

Best regards
Dennis

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #5 on: 17 Sep 2006, 04:00 am »
John,

I bet I know an amp that will work real well with it.   :thumb:

denjo

« Reply #6 on: 22 Sep 2006, 10:24 am »
The Bent Audio TAP in its new Music First Audio guise will be reviewed by highly regarded 6mooner Srajan in its forthcoming issue. There seems to be an increasing number of TVCs from several other manuacturers - Consonance, Malaysia's Prometheus. Those interested can see a photo of the MF Audio (aka Bent Audio TAP) at www.6moons.com. With excellent remote capability and a plethora of features, I have no doubt that John's latest preamp will be well received and wish him great blessings!

Denjo

« Last Edit: 22 Sep 2006, 10:35 am by denjo »