TVC used in an active pre-amp

rookster

« on: 29 Sep 2005, 10:45 pm »
Guys,

I have an idea that has been floating around for a while, although it is probably overkill .

I have a pre-amp kit that utilises a 20K pot as the attenuator.  As the pot is utilised between the 2 gain stages in the pre, is there any way to implement a TVC in place of the pot?

I don'y know what the impredances would before and after the pot.  I have not built the kit yet, and I am designing the case.  I need to allow room for the TVC if they can be used.

Any replies would be appreciated.

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
« Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2005, 03:03 am »
Hello!

There are quite a few folks using TVC's in active pre-amps.  The only downside is that it makes for a rather expensive pot......

The new TVC modules will be the cleanest way to do it - basically the wiring will be like wiring a pot. Mid Nov to deliver those modules though....The case will have to account for the knob and remote board, etc. Until I get a full set of specs on-line best to call here (604-538-9812) and discuss on the phone to see if it would be a fit for you. I am here in the shop most of the time....

Thansk!

John

rookster

« Reply #2 on: 30 Sep 2005, 05:34 am »
John,

Thanks for the prompt reply.  

Are your Bentenuator Modules modules mono or stereo? I am looking at building 2 mono pre-amps and would need the separation.

Are there any issues with replacing a 20K pot with a TVC.  Does the resistance (impedance) of the pot have much affect on the suitability of using a TVC instead?

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 30 Sep 2005, 04:15 pm »
Hello!

The Bentenuator modules are mono so dual mono is no problem. There are a few easy ways to config it for you.

Replacing a pot with a TVC will work fine. From a strickly technical point of view it is an easier load than your 20K pot would be for your source and provides a lower impedance to the circuit following the TVC - both good things.

Thanks!

John

rookster

« Reply #4 on: 1 Oct 2005, 05:03 am »
John,

Thanks for the reply.  What are the benefits of the Bentenuator modules over purchasing 2 transformers and 2 switches and wiring them myself?

I am in no hurry to start this project, but would like to know what the differences are between the 2 before I start.  If you want you can PM me to discuss details.  I am especially interested to know what sort of cost differences there are.

Do you have enough detail on the sizes of the units, at this stage, to discuss futher.  I am building 2 stereo amps and I want to match the style of the cases for all the units if I can.  Pre-amp shape may depend on the TVC modules.  If I have room for a transformer and Shallco swicth in my case now, will the Bentenuator modules fit also?

John Chapman

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 1 Oct 2005, 05:48 pm »
Hello!

No problem discussing details here. The new system seems a bit difficult for folks to grasp since it is different than traditional setups. It will be much easier to follow once I have pictures and all other details! More in-line below....

----------------------
>>>>What are the benefits of the Bentenuator modules over purchasing 2 transformers and 2 switches and wiring them myself?

- Remote control always included
- MUCH easier wiring job! - Only a few signal wires from the input and to the circuit following.
- Much cleaner inside the chassis.
- More level Steps - 33 steps from mute to +6db
- +6db gain mode engages automatically as you turn the level up (likely not needed in an active design).
- Ballance control via remote
- Phase invert function via remote (if the Bent Input boards are used for source select)
- Very easy to interface to outboard modules to create a multichannel pre-amp.

------------------------
>>>I am especially interested to know what sort of cost differences there are.

I am just working that out. I always face a great stuggle when it comes to cost. I design stuff just the way I'd make it for myself using the best parts I can find but when I am all done picking parts I want to make my stuff affordable too. None of my products are going to be a budget solution - it's just not the way I build stuff. I am making huge volume purchases of parts to get costs down and that will help a lot. Bottom line is the new setup will cost more than 2 trannies and a switch but it comes with the tvc's pre-wired - that is really nice! They are a bit of a bear to wire to the switch and it's impossible to make the wiring really clean - just too many wires......

I am trying to make it about the cost of what the tvc's , switch , and remote control cost in a traditional setup but it may sneak above that a bit. I should have pricing of the first modules in the next week or so as I finish purchasing all the parts.

---------------------------

>>>>Do you have enough detail on the sizes of the units, at this stage, to discuss futher.

Yes - The TVC modules are 3"x3" footprint x 2" high for each channel. Less space than 2 TX102's an a switch wired. You should allow a bit of space around them - at least 1/4" so it is not too cramped. These modules can be placed anywhere in the chassis to suit the signal path from your inputs to the active stage. Then you'd have a small power input board at the back panel somewhere.

The last part needed to complete the setup is a controller board. This board has the volume knob, Volume display, IR reciever for remote, and mute switch. If you are using the Bent Input selector boards then the front panel would also have source selection button and a phase button.

The Contol Board can be handled in two ways:

1- The more traditional 'one box' setup would be to have the controller board (there will be a few different choices) at the front panel of your pre-amp. The boards will ship with a nice black anodized front panel board the you can fit you your pre-amp box by just making one cutout and bolting it in. This saves the work of cutting many holes and also includes nice laser engraved lables for the buttons.

2- The easy way out will be to just buy one of the TAP control Units. This is a stand alone enclosure (there will be several options - 3 to begin with). Then you run the included fibre optic cable from the Control unit to your pre-amp box. This way you could make the pre-amp box match the amp box extactly if you'd like. The pre-amp box you build can be located anywhere in your rack to make cable routing as clean and short as you can.  The TAP control Unit can sit any spot in your rack (or anywhere in your room) it is convienient to reach and see from your listenning position.

The added cost to go with an external TAP controller is very small in the whole scheme of things - maybe $75 to $100 or so over putting the controller board inside the chassis for a basic volume only controller.

--------------
>>>If I have room for a transformer and Shallco swicth in my case now, will the Bentenuator modules fit also?

Yes - although the ideal layout would change depending on which you were using.
---------------------

Whew.... Long post..... It is good to get some of this out though. As mentioned above the options that the Bentenuator system allows opens the door for non traditional system design but until all the details and pictures are out I fear it is difficult to visualize.

Thansk!

John