White Bar Tape on my Road Bike

jackman

Re: White Bar Tape on my Road Bike
« Reply #20 on: 11 Dec 2009, 02:10 am »
Hi Doc, thanks for the comments.  I will totally cop to being a pussy because I still use the granny gear on my triple when I battle the fierce winds (or should I say USED TO BATTLE because it's 4 degrees at the moment and my road wars are on hiatus until it hits high 30's) that rip through these cornfields and country roads my group likes to ride.  I have totally fallen in love with cycling and my only regret is getting into it so close to winter. 

It feels so good to be able to ride for five hours on a Saturday, Sunday and follow up with a 2 hour ride on a Monday without being in pain.  Unfortunately, with my new job, family committments and biking obsession, my guitar playing has really fallen off a cliff.  I haven't touched a guitar in a while.  Are you still playing?  Still going to school?  We shoud catch up on PM.  Good to hear from you (and good to be unbanned)!

Bike WNC, you have three of the coolest bikes I have ever seen.  Pink tape on those bikes would still look cool, but white is the coolest.  Thanks for sharing!

J

BikeWNC

« Reply #21 on: 11 Dec 2009, 02:20 am »
Hey thanks guys.  I love riding my bikes and my part of the world is a little slice of road bike heaven!  I can ride low traffic roads from my house right up to 6000' elevation.  When the Blue Ridge Parkway is closed to cars it's like having my own private National Park.  Just awesome! 

jackman

« Reply #22 on: 14 Dec 2009, 08:59 pm »

viggen

« Reply #23 on: 18 Dec 2009, 07:52 pm »

Just got this bike about 6 months ago.

At first I thought the white tape is prissy.  It's growing on me.

jackman

« Reply #24 on: 18 Dec 2009, 09:04 pm »
Viggen, that bike looks cool.  No waterbottle holders?  Tape is cheap and easy to install, once you get the hang of it.  You could even hit that bike with some cool matching blue tape.  The stuff from Fizik is very nice and easy to keep clean.  I'd keep the white because it looks fast!  When I removed my old tape, I took off the gel inserts on the bars and the Bontrager Buzzkill inserts.  This bike had a very plush feel but I think it's the combination of the thick cork tape, Buzzkill inserts and gel wrap under the cork.  I kept the buzzkill's in case I want to put them back in.  The Gel and buzzkills must have weighed 200g!

I'm just sorry I can't ride my bike in this weather.

Bike is on the trainer for the season.  My old Cannondale is the winter ride.  I like MTB riding but not nearly as much as road.  I can't wait for March! 

Cheers,

J

viggen

« Reply #25 on: 18 Dec 2009, 10:54 pm »
J,

At first I wanted to go black.  But, I am starting to think black is a bit retro looking.  The white tape on you bike much improves the way your bike looks.  I think I will stick with white too.

I did get some cabon fiber water cages off ebay from a seller in China which I haven't installed yet. It's dirt cheap and quality is quite good.  They look much like yours except the finish is .. well.. carbon fiber.

Much like you, I haven't been on my road bike recently.  I just bought a roller for winter months.  I also bought a new Selle Signo saddle.  The OEM Selle saddle was rubbin my rump after about 20miles.

I am still struggling to get over 35miles.  Takes me two hours to do so and am very winded after finishing.  Hopefully, the roller can help me improve my form... haven't had a chance to use it yet...

Ed