bicycles

PhishPhan

Re: bicycles
« Reply #380 on: 30 Jun 2008, 04:50 pm »
I don't have any experience with Time pedals, but I do have plenty with Looks. Try any one of the Keo variety. I've had the sprints for the last couple of years and they're great.

aerius

« Reply #381 on: 1 Jul 2008, 02:35 am »

Levi

« Reply #382 on: 1 Jul 2008, 02:49 am »
Nice mountain bike action!  You upgraded your shocks or is that a completely different bike?

aerius

« Reply #383 on: 1 Jul 2008, 10:33 pm »
Everything's the same except the tires, I haven't changed anything on the bike in ages.

SET Man

« Reply #384 on: 1 Jul 2008, 10:48 pm »
Hey!

aerius, nice air time shots with your bike there. :cool:

If I have to do anything like that now I better loose some weight before that. :lol:

It is good to have a place like that to ride a MT bike. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Vinyl-Addict

• Groovetracer - Products for Rega turntables.
« Reply #385 on: 1 Jul 2008, 11:42 pm »
A little late joining in here but I have a great love for cycling altough mountain biking is really my preference. I do own a road bike but it was only used for training when I raced mountain bikes. Out here in California we have plenty of nice trails and some pretty tasty singletrack to choose from. It's been a few years since I've had any time at all to ride but back in the early nineties I was pretty serious about MB racing and travelled all over California during the race season, ultimately ending up at Mammoth mountain where they used to run the World cup events.
Remember Ned Overend,John Tomac, Greg Herbold? The good old days indeed. Anyway I still own a Bontrager Race Lite hardtail (circa 1991), pretty sweet handling ride. Keith sponsored our team back then and we all rode the same type of frameset. I'll post a pic. of the relic when I have a chance.

SET Man

« Reply #386 on: 3 Jul 2008, 09:52 pm »
Hey!

It seems like more people are turning to scooters and of course bikes to beat the high gas price....

http://wcbstv.com/video/?id=114213@wcbs.dayport.com

I do sometime ride my bike to work about 8 miles round trip since my boss' studio have room for me to put my bike inside :D

I wish I could do more with my bike by going to store to pick up a few things around my neighborhood and in the city but parking is a problem for me. Well, I don't feel safe parking my bike anywhere in the city. Even cheap Huffy get stolen so I think my bike won't have a chance  :icon_lol:

If I had a sure safe parking spots for my bike I might ride my bike more often than just on my day off. :D

Take care,

Lyndon

« Reply #387 on: 3 Jul 2008, 10:49 pm »
It is a problem in the city, Buddy.  When I was living in Kips Bay/Murray Hill, I had to lug my bike up three flights of stairs, and still had some people try to hammer/cut the messenger type chains I had on the bike to the stairwell railing.  Living in Manhattan for 12 years certainly inured me to the traffic on 2nd and 3rd Ave.  Loved the 5 Borough Bicycle Club and had many a fun weekend ride into Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island.
With hindsight, I should have opted for a folder, like a Dahon, or a Brompton.  Though my current experience with a BikeFriday from Eugene, OR has been less than stellar.
Funny all you guys with the mtb's.  Maybe it is where I live now in Salt Lake City with Moab down south, but I am kinda burned out on off road stuff, and am more into fully loaded touring.

Have to post some shots with the panniers.

Folsom

« Reply #388 on: 4 Jul 2008, 01:35 am »
Any recommendations for clipless road pedals?

I've been using the Time Equipe Pro road pedals for the last decade or two.  Because I have Sidi Genius shoes, I've had to use a cleat adaptor on the shoe in order to fit the Time Equipe cleat.  Unfortunately, my adaptor broke last week (the threads that hold the front cleat in place got stripped), and I can't find a replacement adaptor anywhere, so I think I will finally have to get new pedals.

Any specific suggestions?  How are the new Time pedals?

Very nice stainless steel Speedplay "Lollypop" Zero's are what I am using. They are pretty damn nice. I prefer them greatly over everything I have used to date. You can get a lot more range of play for foot movement (or less), and the contact area is pretty amazing feeling. The best part is the cleats do last a little while instead of breaking every time you step on a rock. 

PhilNYC

« Reply #389 on: 8 Sep 2008, 03:31 pm »
My new toy...!

This was custom-built for my brother about 10 years ago.  My brother and I are about the same height and our legs are almost exactly the same length.  His torso is slightly longer than mine, but my arms are slightly longer than his.  As a result, this bike seems to fit me really well!

The reason he gave it to me was that he has gained 20lbs since he bought it (resulting from the demands of fatherhood and other life-requirements that have limited his riding), and he finds that with his added weight, the frame is too flexy (compared to his Trek 5900, which he says feels better for him at this weight).  Unfortunately, I'm still about 10lbs over the weight that he was when the frame was designed, so I too think it feels a bit flexy (especially in comparison to my Cinelli Supercorsa).  But in terms of comfort, I'm very happy with this bike...!

« Last Edit: 8 Sep 2008, 05:53 pm by PhilNYC »

PhilNYC

« Reply #390 on: 8 Sep 2008, 03:33 pm »
Btw - thanks to those who made pedal recommendations for me.  I ended up with the Time RXS Carbon pedals...I guess perhaps I am brand-loyal...!  They seem to work very well, and I'm very happy with them...

SET Man

« Reply #391 on: 8 Sep 2008, 05:11 pm »
Hey!

Nice! :D Phil, those are bad ass aero wheels there :cool: It the bike aluminum right?

Well, talk about weight... I do need to loose some pounds too.  :icon_lol: A few months ago I said I want to loose 7 and now it is going to be about 10 lbs now  :duh:

Too bad I don't live close to you otherwise we could go out for a ride together sometime. :D

Take care,

PhilNYC

« Reply #392 on: 8 Sep 2008, 05:16 pm »
Hey!

Nice! :D Phil, those are bad ass aero wheels there :cool: It the bike aluminum right?

Well, talk about weight... I do need to loose some pounds too.  :icon_lol: A few months ago I said I want to loose 7 and now it is going to be about 10 lbs now  :duh:

Too bad I don't live close to you otherwise we could go out for a ride together sometime. :D

Take care,

Buddy, the bike is Titanium, not Aluminum....  :duh: :D  Here's more info:

http://www.spectrum-cycles.com/

I've actually been riding a decent amount, about 80-100 miles per week for the last 9 months or so and have been increasing the hill work over the summer.  I've actually ridden from my house into Central Park a couple of times...

SET Man

« Reply #393 on: 8 Sep 2008, 05:27 pm »
Hey!

Take care,

Buddy, the bike is Titanium, not Aluminum....  :duh: :D  Here's more info:

http://www.spectrum-cycles.com/

I've actually been riding a decent amount, about 80-100 miles per week for the last 9 months or so and have been increasing the hill work over the summer.  I've actually ridden from my house into Central Park a couple of times...

Hey!

Titanium eh?  :duh: Even better! :lol: I didn't know that. Silly me, is right there on the bike :duh:

Must be a lots more these days to get a new custom made Ti bike. :roll:

If you ever come down here in the City again let me know. :D

Take care,

« Last Edit: 8 Sep 2008, 06:37 pm by SET Man »

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #394 on: 9 Sep 2008, 12:27 pm »
I too, got a titanium bike about 10 years ago. The airline and space industries had cut back the demand for titanium at that time. So with a surplus of titanium stock and lots of unemployed skilled workers available, prices for titanium bikes were low. The same bikes cost a lot more today.

SET Man

« Reply #395 on: 9 Sep 2008, 10:49 pm »
Hey!

Just saw this on the news. Lance Armstrong is back on the bike again for 2009 Tour de France! :o

http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news;_ylt=AhfncQQMmXr4blb60zWvhgw5nYcB?slug=ap-armstrong-comeback&prov=ap&type=lgns

Well, look this will make the 2009 Tour de France very interesting :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb;

mcgsxr

« Reply #396 on: 10 Sep 2008, 01:16 pm »
I recently bought a MTB to be used for road training, and basement trainer use.  If I find I get right back into it, I might buy another bike, but we will see.

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=1996&Brand=Kona&Model=Kilauea&Type=bike

This is a link to the original build, but mine is different...

Specialized rigid fork (there were no used P2 forks around)
FSA The Pig headset
Easton cockpit (my daughter's name)
LX rapidfires
XT front and rear der
LX V brakes
Easton seatpost
Fizik saddle
Raceface cranks, Vuelta alu rings (36 and 46)
Wellgo clipless pedals (though I am still looking for spd shoes, so for now Wellgo flats)

around 24 pounds (will be 25 with the clipless I assume), and a great old school cromo ride.

Folsom

« Reply #397 on: 10 Sep 2008, 11:54 pm »
Hey!

Just saw this on the news. Lance Armstrong is back on the bike again for 2009 Tour de France! :o

http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news;_ylt=AhfncQQMmXr4blb60zWvhgw5nYcB?slug=ap-armstrong-comeback&prov=ap&type=lgns

Well, look this will make the 2009 Tour de France very interesting :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb;

JIM VERTUNO must be one of the worst journalists ever. That article was mind numbing and the information about Lance's team was sketchy to the point you are not even sure what Jim was trying to propose was the situtaion. I would give that guy a swift kick to the nuts.

On the other side I hope Jan Ullrich comes back and wins.