Upgrading Capacitors

dbx

Re: Upgrading Capacitors
« Reply #20 on: 22 Oct 2015, 04:06 pm »
How many of each do you have?

I have ten of the CC MR and ten Sonic Cap Gen 1.  I have six Jupiter HT Flat Stacked 12uF.
Whatever I have left over after this project I will sell.  All are in great condition.  (Shameless advertisement inserted in this thread :D )

Actually, S/O would be great for both locations.  We could potentially trim the budget more with the 30uF "if" it happened to be the cap farthest from the tweeter.
The 30uF value is closest to the tweeter.  What do you think of using Mundorf Silver Gold Oil in all locations, or a mix of Mundorf Silver Oil and Silver Gold Oil for the 15 and 30uF locations?

Sonicap G1
Sounds good to me.

If you weren't trimming the budget, the 12uF G1 would still be a fine choice.  Even if you are trimming the budget, I would not compromise the 80uF beyond two CC MR 25uF Caps with two 15uF Jupiter "VT" Flat Stacks.
That should have said two 15uF Jupiter "HT" flat stacks.  I mis-typed.

Just so I understand regarding the 80uF position - you are saying if I go with the plan of two 25uF CC MR and two Jupiter 15 uF HT-FS, this would be fine, and I should not compromise any further.  Would this be correct?  (Or should I keep the two 25uF CC MR and go with two 15uF CC MR caps to complete the circuit?)
Unfortunately, I would not be able to go with an all-out Jupiter HT-FS in this position as it would require four 15uF and two 10uF caps, unless Jupiter makes 20, 40, or 80uF values.

Assuming I had to purchase all-new caps for this value, would it be beneficial to use 80uF Sonicaps instead of the Clarity Cap MR/Jupiter Combo?
Or to use a Sonicap/Jupiter combination for this value?
If there is a better cap for this application, what would that be?

The G1 would be great provided the budget allows.
In the 220uF Shunt - what cap values (and how many) are we looking at to make up 220uF?  One or two would be great.

Thanks Jeff!!!!
« Last Edit: 23 Oct 2015, 02:22 am by dbx »

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #21 on: 23 Oct 2015, 06:46 am »
I guess I will clarify.

When I said "Woofers" I was just talking about the parallel cap on the lower bass. Not midrange which is why I stated he could do a little better possibly in the mid's and tweeters which the Mundorf Evo could be a good choice for size, value[uf], and value[cost]...

As for general public, or even hard core audiophiles I have gone about as far as you can take it building with over priced exotic parts in some speakers in the past, and truthfully spending 2000.00 plus on any design will render very little vs. 1000.00 on just as good of parts for that same application is all I was illustrating.

My opinion most standard 3 way's or 2 way's the majority on these audio board people are rebuilding that have your average efficiency of 85 to 90 db honestly are better buying the best parts for the job within reason, because many times the super exotic stuff does nothing maybe even making it worse.

Beyond that I agree that many really unique applications, and speakers specifically running very high efficiency horns, or other types of ribbons etc... can in fact benefit from some extra finesse in choosing the finer parts or more exotic.

Mundorf Evo vs. Sonicap I can say are slightly different maybe in end results, but both similarly can be a better choice vs. trying to jam really expensive, or magic caps in some spots.

By the way I was a fan of Clarity MR caps in some tube gear, but honestly with speakers they seem to "Enhance" a little to much bringing everything more forward with "Clarity"... It's all a balancing act.

I assume your clarification is for my benefit?  I think I understand your position.  I do not understand your rebuttal.  You stated your opinion based on your experience.  I stated my opinion, along with the opinion of many of my clientele, based on my/our experience/results.  Opinions regarding such numerous, and often unquantifiable, variables is the definition of conjecture.  Conjecture is fine as long as it is not presented as fact.  My recommendations are merely suggestions based on my experience.  If someone presents a different view based off an experience I have shared in the past, I attempt to guide them from that position to where I am today...if possible...without composing the story of my life.

Now, the primary reason for my reply.  As the bass shunt's reactance decreases, it will make a considerable (worth considering) contribution to the driver that it is electrically parallel to (the woofer), and the driver it is electrically in series with (the mid).  Even though the shunt continues to rotate out of reactance as the frequency increases above the two octaves that flank the xo point, we are so deep into the band pass that the current division across the shunt seems to be sonically negligible.  While the contributions of a Solen to a well dampened woofer with a limited upper bandwidth is minimal, its amusical contribution to the midrange certainly runs counter to our goal.  Several designers/hobbyists have discovered this effect, but for whatever reason have rarely researched the pathology  :wink:

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #22 on: 23 Oct 2015, 07:00 am »
I have ten of the CC MR and ten Sonic Cap Gen 1.  I have six Jupiter HT Flat Stacked 12uF.
Whatever I have left over after this project I will sell.  All are in great condition.  (Shameless advertisement inserted in this thread :D )

:lol:  I don't blame you  :green:

The 30uF value is closest to the tweeter.  What do you think of using Mundorf Silver Gold Oil in all locations, or a mix of Mundorf Silver Oil and Silver Gold Oil for the 15 and 30uF locations?

The S/G/O is a bit warmer and richer.  The S/O is a better selection for this application.

you are saying if I go with the plan of two 25uF CC MR and two Jupiter 15 uF VT-FS, this would be fine, and I should not compromise any further.

Correct.

If there is a better cap for this application, what would that be?

All VT, but I assume we are past that.

In the 220uF Shunt - what cap values (and how many) are we looking at to make up 220uF?  One or two would be great.

There is not a particularly good solution here.  You can stay with the Solen, or step up to the G1.  Going G1 would require 6X33uF + a 20uF.  You could do something with the 10X25uF that you already have.  The Evo Oil 2x100uF + 22uF would be nice...

dbx

« Reply #23 on: 25 Oct 2015, 08:45 pm »
Thanks Jeff.

Check your mail at sonic craft.

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #24 on: 26 Oct 2015, 03:57 am »
I have not seen anything  :dunno:

dbx

« Reply #25 on: 26 Oct 2015, 01:41 pm »
Jeff -

I just sent you a new message from the Sonic Craft website asking about Jupiter and Mudorf Capacitors.

Thanks.