Omega 6 and low power SET

vicenteR

Omega 6 and low power SET
« on: 17 Apr 2012, 08:33 pm »
Hello everybody,

Let me introduce myself, my name is Vicente, I am from Spain and I bought my Omega 6 XRS through an italian dealer two years ago.

I've got a Jadis da30 (EL34 push pull, 30 watts) working fine with the speakers, but i'm thinking about trying low power SET with the Omegas.

I would like to know other user experiences and recomedations with 2A3 tubes. In adition, I would like to ask Louis the least impedance of these drivers, in case they weren't above the 8 ohms with all frecuencies.

Thank you in advanced.

Hank Murrow

Re: Omega 6 and low power SET
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2012, 04:09 pm »
Hi Vincent;

I had a Glow One EL84 SET amp that I demoed at the Vancouver VSAC, driving a pair of Super 5's in a large ballroom. The 5 watt amp provided enough grunt to fill the room with lovely sound. I think the sensitivity of the Super 5's is similar to your 6's. Now, I drive the Super 5's with a Custom Bottlehead 2A3 amp which makes around 3.5 watts, and there is grunt to spare in my medium-sized living room. Adding a sub or two would relieve the Six from low end duty and they will play louder that way. SET, and in particular parallel-feed SET, is my favorite way to amplify.

Cheers, Hank

« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2012, 04:04 am by Hank Murrow »

vicenteR

« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2012, 07:49 pm »
Thank you for your answer, Hank. I didn't know the amplifiers you said and they seem very interesting. The size of the Glow one is surprising.

Has anybody else try the Omegas with other low power triodes like 300B, 6c33 or 45?

Thanks.

Hank Murrow

« Reply #3 on: 26 Apr 2012, 04:41 pm »
Yes, Vicente; The Glow is very tiny, yet well crafted. It did most of the range well, but my 2A3 amp extended into the bass and out to the treble further and with more control. Altogether a more refined sound. It was a one-off project, as most Custom Bottlehead projects tend to be. I had collected parts for eight years, including much Magnequest cobalt and nickel 'iron; and Paul Birkeland put it all together for me beautifully. Here is a pic of the Linestage and Phonostage he also built for me. Cheers, Hank

vicenteR

« Reply #4 on: 4 May 2012, 07:26 pm »
Thank you for your comments again Hank.

I will write with my experiences in the future.

Louis O

« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2012, 09:50 pm »
Hi vicenteR,

Many thanks and welcome to the forum. Great to hear about your purchase of the 6's and the Jadis is an excellent amp.

Your 6's can be run with a 2A3 and I have used the Sun Audio for years. The synergy is great and really like the 2A3 sound. The impedance is very linear and doesn't dip low at all so no worry at all.

Hi Hank,

You're right on and I do remember the show a while back. The Glow is also a great match and a great value. Your custom bottlehead amp is awesome. I had the bottlehead amps too and wish I still had them. I should get another set.

Your gear looks beautiful and the attention to detail is amazing.

Thanks,
Louis