New King of 2.5k or less universals

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« Reply #80 on: 5 Nov 2005, 04:50 pm »
Quote from: budyog
This is from the "multichannel thread"
I find this very hard to believe with the advancements in this feild. This may have been true several years ago, but I find it unlikly today. I also never ever thought I would own an Onkyo product in my system, and I also believe that they put vast amount of resources in the 1000 and came up with a superb universal player. Every redbook cd I play I hear something I have never heard before.
I do beleive that you can have a all in one player that sounds as good as seperates. Heck, I removed a very good DAC from my system because the DAC in the 1000 is better.
I know some people say, just buy a cheap player and get a good DAC, I did that and have realised that my system was suffering and it was due to my begining piece of equipment. My source player. This 1000 made my whole system rise many steps above anytrhing else I have ever replaced something with. I have a WHOLE new system.

Again, I'm with you 100 percent. Let me show you some more mind boggling material:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=6479468#post6479468

Post 64 is where I really chimed in with my incredulity, based on how I'm reading Kris Deering and Levesque. Maybe I'm just completely misunderstanding what they're saying, but some of that just flies in the face of common sense, imho, and it's the same kind of "slant" that you're taking exception to in what you quoted.

Ears

« Reply #81 on: 5 Nov 2005, 04:57 pm »
Budyog,
They have not reviewed the 1000....at most US...rags.....and I trust...or at least have more faith in some of the Euro rags anyway.

I am sure there right in principal.....but not in every case.

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« Reply #82 on: 5 Nov 2005, 05:10 pm »
Quote from: Ears
Budyog,
They have not reviewed the 1000....at most US...rags.....and I trust...or at least have more faith in some of the Euro rags anyway.

I am sure there right in principal.....but not in every case.

Typical for that forum, I'm sure I'll have to swim through a bunch of troll posts, crap, ad hominenms, and other smoke and mirrors and I'm almost certain my post and questions will never get straight answers.

The real answers to my questions would...how can I say this?...pull the curtain back a little too far for the parlor trick. ;)

The more time goes by, the more I appreciate this forum and the lack of bias and agendas behind it and the lack of tolerating those sorts of things.

What a night and day difference! :)

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #83 on: 5 Nov 2005, 05:39 pm »
It seems to me that we are the only 3 that will stick up for the 1000. I think a lot of people maybe are thinking like I did a year ago when I first heard of the 1000 more than likey from here or on AVS from you guys.
"I won't own an Onkyo product in my high quality system".
I kinda feel bad for Onkyo! Here they are making a super machine and not getting the recognition they deserve! At least it seems this way. They will probably cheapen it to sell more or discontinue it from there lineup. I was considering a Denon 2900 or better, or a used 2900 and having it modified, or a Sony doing the same thing and a few other machines out there, but just did not feel comfortable with that senerio. I will buy used amps, preamps, but where there is mechanical things to where out, I felt a new machine was the way to go and I am happy I did!
I still have not seen ANY used 1000s, refurbished 1000s or any other negative comments about the 1000 beside those very few on AVS.
I guess that is enough plugs for Onkyo. We should be paid by them for touting this wonderful player or at least hope someone at Onkyo is maybe reading this with a smile. :D

I also have to plug ACI and AVA. They certanly ad to the equasion of producing the the quality coming from the 1000.

Ears

« Reply #84 on: 5 Nov 2005, 05:49 pm »
It seems to me that we are the only 3 that will stick up for the 1000. I think a lot of people maybe are thinking like I did a year ago when I first heard of the 1000 more than likey from here or on AVS from you guys.
"I won't own an Onkyo product in my high quality system".
I kinda feel bad for Onkyo! Here they are making a super machine and not getting the recognition they deserve! At least it seems this way. They will probably cheapen it to sell more or discontinue it from there lineup. I was co ...

Just saw one 1000 go at Audiogon the other day for 1200.00 in a matter of a few days.

What else can you buy and only lose a couple hundred bucks on and sell quickly.....not much. :lol:

Meantime.....my Panasonic s-97 brand new with a 2 year extended warranty took 6 weeks to selll... and I still havent received the check at 40% of what I paid.

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #85 on: 5 Nov 2005, 06:08 pm »
I stand corrected. There will always be a first. Only 6 days and also no price reduction. Boy, 1200! plus shipping. For just 300 more and free shipping they could have bought a new one. The seller must have needed money. I'll bet he did not sell it because of the quality!

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« Reply #86 on: 5 Nov 2005, 06:29 pm »
I stand corrected. There will always be a first. Only 6 days and also no price reduction. Boy, 1200! plus shipping. For just 300 more and free shipping they could have bought a new one. The seller must have needed money. I'll bet he did not sell it because of the quality!

You can be assured it was not for quality issues.  8)

Meantime.....my Panasonic s-97 brand new with a 2 year extended warranty took 6 weeks to selll... and I still havent received the check at 40% of what I paid.
[/b]

I do hope that you get your money promptly.

Ears

« Reply #87 on: 7 Nov 2005, 08:19 pm »
Quote from: Q-BanditZ

You can be assured it was not for quality issues.  8)

[/b]

I finnally got the M./O for the Pany.

Budyog.....there are 2-3 others on this forum who own the 1000 and are quite happy with it.......but not everyone posts on the internet frequently or works in an office with a keyboard near buy ect....or has the free time.

I work on new houses for instance....and its only because I am self employed and have occasional slow times that I can find anytime to post anything audio/video related on the net.

There are at least 10-12  very happy owners at Avs that never post about there 1000 or brother player Integra 10.5 as they have ran into pissing matches at AVS....in terms of whos is best for video.....which gets old quickly.....or simply do not have the time.

At Audio Asylum you will find an occasional poster in the sa-cd section....if you do an Onkyo sp1000 search that says the 1000 beat there 3k audio only player ect for redbook and sa-cd......but the pure dsd zealots quickly move in to say the Wolfson dacs convert to 192hz pcm.....just like the Accuphase gear that also uses these dacs.

Of course  most if not all of these same pure dsd zealots have never heard the 1000.10.5 or Accuphase gear........they just assume that pure dsd is better :nono:

The way I see it....its all pcm by the time our ears hear it either way.

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« Reply #88 on: 3 Dec 2005, 12:59 am »
Gotta couple of PM's that brought up a few questions that I'd like to answer here as well for everyone's benefit, FWIW.

1.) To the best of my knowledge, the Onkyo 1000 will NOT accept or play Dual Discs. So don't bother. ;)

2.)

I've been looking for a good universal DVD player under 2K and this seems to fit the bill. However, I use a McCormack MAP-1 pre and don't use any other processor. I've done a little research on the Onkyo and am reading conflicting information. While is does have analog DVD-audio and SACD output, does it have DD/DTS built-in decoding that can be also use the analog output?

Yes.

Or does it only have DD/DTS output for processing in a dedicated processor?

Short answer: Yes, the Onkyo 1000 does have a built DD/DTS decoder. I can even use the multichannel analogs when watching movies if I so choose. Sometimes I almost think it sounds better.

Ears

« Reply #89 on: 13 Dec 2005, 07:42 pm »
Actually...like most manufactuers...Onkyo reccomends not playing the dreaded dually discs.
Having said that,my kid has played several without problem and a few members at AVS have played them without problem.