Small Room Bass

DavidS

Small Room Bass
« on: 6 Jun 2012, 12:54 am »
Love this new circle and looking forward to reading.

So I have a small room (11 ft x 12).  Running full range Frugelhorn speakers with a Decware 84 set amp and sound is as good as I have heard it in my small room.  Have tried various subs in this room (with other setups) and results have ranged from not good to real boomy and bad.  Was listening to Cello Suites this morning and was thinking I am still missing the bottom end .... as good as the mids are.  Should I be happy with what I have or get serious about looking for the missing 40hz or so?  And if I went looking what might work in my small room?

drummermitchell

Re: Small Room Bass
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jun 2012, 01:43 am »
I had a 11X15 livrm(before this newer one).I had DD-15 in there,added Gik basstraps and it was a major improvement.
Actually two subs.
Before the traps,I would use TT alot,but when I wanted to go past 9:00 I'd get lowend feedback.
Since adding the tritraps in the corners(stacked) I could go way past the uncomfortable zone and no feedback using the TT.     
Acoustic panels do work,even in small rooms,and the pricing is good or you can make them for real cheap.

AUDFILE74

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jun 2012, 05:32 am »
i would first do some basic analysis first. trueaudio.com
use this to identify where your room issues are. the same site sells some mics and usb mic preamps  to run on a computer.  a basic test cd like this one http://chesky.com/various-artists--ultimate-demonstration-disc.html will help you zero in on you problem room modes. then you can decide what treatments to start with. and the good part is the test gear and a test cd is under 500 bucks so it pays for itself with the knowledge you get about your rooms sound

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #3 on: 6 Jun 2012, 06:23 am »
David,check Parts Express for sub woofers.I built one from the seperates they sold that must be very close to the attachment I'm trying to send.I can only put my sub woofer on when my landlord brings his kids to the relatives on the holidays.My ultimate test is when (Gort) the robot on the Day the Earth Stood Still comes out of the saucer.....it made other tenants come out of there units to see if there was some sort of who knows what...Mark Kordahttp://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-743

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #4 on: 6 Jun 2012, 06:25 am »
Dave,I wrote because my room is 11 by 12 too ...Mark

persisting1

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jun 2012, 07:43 am »
Don't stop until you're happy. Find a sub that'll work for you. I had a small listening room a while back and I wasn't finally happy until I tried the ACI Force XL.
They are no longer in business, but you can find a good deal used online. Still one of my favorite subwoofers.

medium jim

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jun 2012, 03:28 pm »
I have a small room, 16x15' and I ended up with two small subs, a pair of B&W ASW300's and couldn't be happier.  B&W doesn't make them anymore, but do show up on eBay now and then and are inexpensive.  I was looking at several subs and most over 2K each, but the little B&W's were the one's in both the showroom and in actual use.

My room is very neutral and I have treatments on the front wall, absorption and diffusion, no traps.  Having a pair makes it easy to acheive seamless integration and they can get down to the low 20's effortlessly.

Funny thing is that they're ported and bottom firing, yet are very fast, no box resonance, are not woofy or boomy.

I have them about 6" off the front walls and about 2' off the side walls.  I have them on homemade sub traps.   I have them set at 80hz, but have had them down to 50hz without issues.

Jim

rodge827

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jun 2012, 03:44 pm »
I use 2 subs also. They are more of a bass augmentor designed to be used for music reproduction. I was having some node isues in my 15'x21'x8.25' (w,l,h) room and purchased some diy Risch traps. They worked OK, but what really helped was the Dspeaker 8033s. The bass was noticeably better, actualy the best I have ever had. I have since removed all bass treatments and have more space in the room. The 8033s also helped to clear up the midrange due to some frequency cancelation caused by the uneaven bass output.

http://www.dspeaker.com/en/products/anti-mode-8033.shtml

Chris 

ebag4

« Reply #8 on: 6 Jun 2012, 04:42 pm »
My room is 10.5x12.5 and I am getting some of the best bass I have ever heard, as a reference I am running a 4x15" IB sub driven by 2400 watts in my HT.  My 2 channel room info is below:

The speakers are GR Research V-1s.  Each speaker has a pair of 12" servo woofers with sub amp.

IMO, OB bass is a game changer and the easiest to implement in a small space.  No boom, just fantastic accurate bass.

Best of luck!

Ed

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #9 on: 6 Jun 2012, 07:09 pm »
My room is 10.5x12.5 and I am getting some of the best bass I have ever heard, as a reference I am running a 4x15" IB sub driven by 2400 watts in my HT.  My 2 channel room info is below:

The speakers are GR Research V-1s.  Each speaker has a pair of 12" servo woofers with sub amp.

IMO, OB bass is a game changer and the easiest to implement in a small space.  No boom, just fantastic accurate bass.

Best of luck!

Ed

Ed,

Where was the mic in the curve above?

How much smoothing is in that curve?

Assuming an average dB spl of about 68 from the pic above, is that a 12dB peak centered around 40 Hz?

Is that response just of the V-1's or is it V-1 + IB subs?

Thanks!

Anand.
« Last Edit: 6 Jun 2012, 08:10 pm by poseidonsvoice »

ebag4

« Reply #10 on: 6 Jun 2012, 11:15 pm »
Hi Anand,
The IB sub is in my basement HT system, the 2 channel is in a spare bedroom, so nothing but the V1s indicated in the graph.

I made those measurements some time ago so I had to check the old thread to find out what the smoothing was set to; 1/6th octave.  The microphone was set on top of the back of my listening seat.

Best,
Ed