Time for change and ribbons

nocrapman

Time for change and ribbons
« on: 11 Apr 2012, 02:12 pm »
Its been a while since I upgraded my speakers.
I have been listening to Onix Rocket 760s in my dedicated HT; Salk STs (non-ribbon) in the family room - HT/Music; and Quad 22L2 in my dedicated 2-ch music only bedroom setup.

I want to upgrade from either the Rockets (ideally)... need to find a way to get rid of them and/or even the quads... should not be difficult to sell/ship as they are in excellent condition and I have all the original packaging.

I want to try something ribbon based in the 2-5K price range.

My contenders till now are:

1. Philhamonics - 2/3 with the RAAL tweeter.

2. VMPS 30 - ideally would have loved the 40 but its too big for my spaces and the LOML might have convulsions on seeing it.

3. Maggie - 1.7 - not sure how it will fare with all my walls in the HT and my 2 yr old who occasionally runs into things, not on purpose.

4. Salk HT3 - I like the Salk sound,,, but the prices have gone up and I want to try something different.

Please send me your suggestions, ideas and recommendations...

Many Thanks!

Saturn94

Re: Time for change and ribbons
« Reply #1 on: 11 Apr 2012, 05:38 pm »
Of those choices I've auditioned the Phil 2 and the Maggie 1.7.  I liked the Phil better and thought it sounded more natural/neutral.  Given that you like the Salk sound and the owner of Philharmonic Audio, Dennis Murphy, designs the crossovers for Salk, I think you would really like the Phils (they have a very similar sound).

Gothover

« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2012, 02:32 pm »
I have always been pleased with Magnepans, although I have not heard the 1.7's, I though the 1.6's sounded great and I doubt they dropped the ball on their newer models.

Dave

cujobob

« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2012, 08:25 pm »
There are a lot of good speakers out there in that price range. As mentioned in the other thread, the Vapor Audio Cirrus, Selah Tempesta, and Gedlee Abbeys should all be considered. Maggies are notoriously power hungry, something to always keep in mind. They will take a decent amount of space, as well. I've been interested in picking up a pair of 1.6s cheap just to try out, something you might want to consider instead of springing two grand on a new pair. You'd still have plenty to play with.