Anyone familar with the Meadowlark Kestrel 2?

Voodoochilly

Anyone familar with the Meadowlark Kestrel 2?
« on: 3 Apr 2012, 08:48 pm »
I have read some good reviews on them. Just looking for additional thoughts and opinions..

audiobat

Re: Anyone familar with the Meadowlark Kestrel 2?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Apr 2012, 09:12 pm »
Meadowlark has been out of business for many years now.
They were OK speakers, I heard them at a dealers but I didn't buy them, guess that says something.

reddmadder

« Reply #2 on: 3 Apr 2012, 09:28 pm »
I had them years ago...no bass.

maxwalrath

« Reply #3 on: 3 Apr 2012, 10:22 pm »
Had the 2's and the 1st generation Hot Rod version...much preferred the Hot Rods. They were better than the 2's in all respects except looks.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #4 on: 3 Apr 2012, 11:30 pm »
I have owned the original Kestrel Hot Rods, Shearwater Hot Rods, Kestrel 2s as well as the original Kestrels. The Kestrel 2s were bt far the best looking of the bunch, but unfortunately, they were my least favorite to listen to.
Still use the original Kestrel HRs, they are one of the best, correction, they are the best value in a used speaker you can buy, IMHO.

Ok, I got a thing for pics. :thumb:

jonbee

« Reply #5 on: 4 Apr 2012, 12:22 am »
I owned them for awhile. Smooth and well integrated, but rolled off on top, and the mids are less clear and dynamic than they should be. Bass is a bit disassociated from the rest of the range. Cabinets are gorgeous- almost worth it by themselves.

Voodoochilly

« Reply #6 on: 4 Apr 2012, 12:35 am »
Wow.. Thanks for the info everyone. I just purchased a pair for a little more than 1k just on reviews I've read.. Looks as though i should listen before buying. Won't get them for a few days do we will see..

soundbitten1

« Reply #7 on: 4 Apr 2012, 01:06 am »
There's a pair on the local Craigslist for $350. Looks like a great deal. If I needed speakers I'd grab them. They used to manufacture them here, I once took a tour of the plant and met Pat McGinty (real nice guy).

http://watertown.craigslist.org/ele/2927513457.html

Ericus Rex

« Reply #8 on: 4 Apr 2012, 01:14 am »
Had the 2's and the 1st generation Hot Rod version...much preferred the Hot Rods. They were better than the 2's in all respects except looks.

+1.  The Shearwater Hot Rods are a much better deal these days too.  Still have my Shearwaters in my home theater.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #9 on: 4 Apr 2012, 01:41 am »
There's a pair on the local Craigslist for $350. Looks like a great deal. If I needed speakers I'd grab them. They used to manufacture them here, I once took a tour of the plant and met Pat McGinty (real nice guy).

http://watertown.craigslist.org/ele/2927513457.html

Good lord, $350? If I lived in upstate NY I'd buy those at that price and list them on ebay or Audiogon.

soundbitten1

« Reply #10 on: 5 Apr 2012, 12:32 pm »
Good lord, $350? If I lived in upstate NY I'd buy those at that price and list them on ebay or Audiogon.

.... or here?    :lol:. If I was in a different situation I probably would. Lots of reasons ... I'm a better buyer than seller, it's a hassle to ship speakers, don't have much A-Gon or eBay feedback, not into flipping gear and last but not least ... I might love them and keep them when I have too many speakers as it is.   :D

jonbee

« Reply #11 on: 5 Apr 2012, 05:55 pm »
Wow.. Thanks for the info everyone. I just purchased a pair for a little more than 1k just on reviews I've read.. Looks as though i should listen before buying. Won't get them for a few days do we will see..
Don't get too discouraged listening to other's opinions, including mine. I actually liked the sound of them. They are far from being bad speakers- actually quite good. I tend to compare things to the best avaialble, which costs a lot more. Depending on taste and intended use they might work very well for you.
Give them a good chance. They are very easy to listen to, and have no glaring faults. They may very well grow on you, and by choosing brighter, faster components and cables (Anti-cables might work well with them) you might get them dialed in just right- for you.

Voodoochilly

« Reply #12 on: 5 Apr 2012, 06:23 pm »
@Timind...Thats a nice looking setup you have there...what sub are/were you using.

@Sonbee... Thanks. This is my first system. I have read a few reviews now and there seams to be a lot of mixed opinions on them. I really like the way they look and the idea that they were hand made in the USA and no two look alike. Also, from the reviews they should be good for my current budget. I also hear they are suppose to be very tube friendly which is what I will be using. But I'm still excited to hear them. Did you use a sub with yours?

jonbee

« Reply #13 on: 5 Apr 2012, 07:42 pm »
@Timind...Thats a nice looking setup you have there...what sub are/were you using.

@Sonbee... Thanks. This is my first system. I have read a few reviews now and there seams to be a lot of mixed opinions on them. I really like the way they look and the idea that they were hand made in the USA and no two look alike. Also, from the reviews they should be good for my current budget. I also hear they are suppose to be very tube friendly which is what I will be using. But I'm still excited to hear them. Did you use a sub with yours?
I used mine in a 12x17 bedroom. The bass was quite adequate w/o a sub, but depending on your circumstances you might want one.
I think the variability of the opinions comes from the fact they have a "music lover" voicing, compared to audiophile voicing. Smoother, more forgiving, and well integrated, with more of a "mid-hall" perspective. Many 'philes want to feel they are right on the stage. I  fall in the latter camp; since this is your first system, you may not yet have the disease, and may find the KII to be a great ride. As I said earlier, they really are a nice sounding speaker, with some real strengths. And those cabinets are in a class of their own. I feel that beautiful cabinets add a lot to the long term pleasure of ownership. Mine had maple cabinets, and to this day I'm not sure I did the right thing to trade them away.

Voodoochilly

« Reply #14 on: 5 Apr 2012, 08:44 pm »
I used mine in a 12x17 bedroom. The bass was quite adequate w/o a sub, but depending on your circumstances you might want one.
I think the variability of the opinions comes from the fact they have a "music lover" voicing, compared to audiophile voicing. Smoother, more forgiving, and well integrated, with more of a "mid-hall" perspective. Many 'philes want to feel they are right on the stage. I  fall in the latter camp; since this is your first system, you may not yet have the disease, and may find the KII to be a great ride. As I said earlier, they really are a nice sounding speaker, with some real strengths. And those cabinets are in a class of their own. I feel that beautiful cabinets add a lot to the long term pleasure of ownership. Mine had maple cabinets, and to this day I'm not sure I did the right thing to trade them away.

Oh ok...my room wont be done until about Aug..16x14 with 8ft ceilings... Any recommendation on placement. Relations to each other and or walls..

Ericus Rex

« Reply #15 on: 5 Apr 2012, 09:01 pm »
The ports are on the fronts of that speaker.  So you can get closer to the rear walls than you could with the Shearwaters (rear ported).  However, when I have my Meadowlark Blue Heron 2 too close to the back wall, the treble gets very 'glassy' and etched.  Probably starting with the 'thirds' rule (in your case, speakers about 5 feet from front wall, you about 5 feet from back wall) would get you close.  As far as distance apart from each other you should experiment.  If they're too far apart your center image will become less focused.  Too close and your peripheral images will suffer.  Experiment with toe-in too.  I find that if the drivers are pointed directly at my ears my head feels like it's in a vise.  Pointing directly forward loses clarity.  You decide on that balance.

Voodoochilly

« Reply #16 on: 5 Apr 2012, 09:11 pm »
Sound good Ericus, I will experiment....anyone have recommendations on speaker cables?