New review of the Tekton Lore

gcos

Rclark

Re: New review of the Tekton Lore
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2012, 09:29 pm »
$999 a pair huh? Looks kinda like that "Betsy" driver with a tweeter. Anyone like these?

roscoeiii

« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2012, 09:31 pm »
You can check out the looong threads on Audiogon about these speakers. Many preferring them to Zu speakers. But I do believe that they are using off-the-shelf pro drivers, IIRC.

sebrof

« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2012, 10:35 pm »
$999 a pair huh? Looks kinda like that "Betsy" driver with a tweeter. Anyone like these?

I like mine a lot. I don't go all gaga over much, but I really believe these speakers play much better than their $1,000 price tag. Very efficient which means darn near any amplifier will drive them. I have a 2A3 SET and a Manley Stingray and both sound good. Even my '79 vintage Yamaha receiver (R-2000) sounds good, I think because they are such an easy load.
btw: I've posted in the AGon thread that Rosco mentioned. I owned Zu Omens and Lores at the same time, still have the Lores.

lowtech

« Reply #4 on: 26 Mar 2012, 10:46 pm »
But I do believe that they are using off-the-shelf pro drivers, IIRC.

The tweeter is an Audax TW025A28.

Rclark

« Reply #5 on: 26 Mar 2012, 11:47 pm »
I like mine a lot. I don't go all gaga over much, but I really believe these speakers play much better than their $1,000 price tag. Very efficient which means darn near any amplifier will drive them. I have a 2A3 SET and a Manley Stingray and both sound good. Even my '79 vintage Yamaha receiver (R-2000) sounds good, I think because they are such an easy load.
btw: I've posted in the AGon thread that Rosco mentioned. I owned Zu Omens and Lores at the same time, still have the Lores.

Hey sounds pretty cool.

Rclark

« Reply #6 on: 27 Mar 2012, 01:11 am »
You know, those Zu speakers do seem to get resold pretty often, people don't really ever hang onto them very long  :scratch:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 27 Mar 2012, 01:24 am »
You know, those Zu speakers do seem to get resold pretty often, people don't really ever hang onto them very long  :scratch:
Most Zu owners upgrade to the next level.  In my opinion you either really like them or don't.  They're also a cult brand as the owner Sean is pretty bad a$$ of a person.  Really good people!   :thumb:

Rclark

« Reply #8 on: 27 Mar 2012, 01:29 am »
 You mean higher up in the Zu chain? I think one of the few manufacturers that has relatively affordable to through the roof.

sebrof

« Reply #9 on: 27 Mar 2012, 01:33 am »
Most Zu owners upgrade to the next level.  In my opinion you either really like them or don't.  They're also a cult brand as the owner Sean is pretty bad a$$ of a person.  Really good people!   :thumb:
I would still have my Omens if I hadn't fallen into the Lores.
And I did have a couple of dealings with the Zu people - Yes, great folks.

Rclark

« Reply #10 on: 27 Mar 2012, 01:46 am »
I like the review here. I'm at the very early stages of picking speakers for system 2, basically the living room system... got some GR Insignia's that will be surrounds.

I'll keep tabs on this company too, thanks for the heads up  :thumb:

I already have good low efficiency speakers, wanna try high efficiency next.

Rclark

« Reply #11 on: 27 Mar 2012, 08:08 pm »
.... back again. Dang! Now I'm really interested! Been looking over Tekton's website, they have a LOT of cool stuff to choose from, nice finish options, low prices (from 600- 5000 top model), and I like how the owner has a video gallery where he gets out in front and talks about his gear. I like the 30 day trial period... that rules...

These are definitely at the top of the list of things to audition for my living room-hometheater-mains speakers.

djbnh

« Reply #12 on: 27 Mar 2012, 09:15 pm »
I have the Omen Defs and am quite pleased with them; ymmv. Not sure which Zu speakers persons are moving off.

Rclark

« Reply #13 on: 27 Mar 2012, 09:22 pm »
I've seen a handful of guys here buy em, keep em for a little bit, then put em up for sale. Not sure what it means, if anything. Probably what JT said.

morganc

« Reply #14 on: 27 Mar 2012, 10:23 pm »

IMO, many speakers get bought and sold frequently.  We are a crazy breed :duh:

morganc

« Reply #15 on: 27 Mar 2012, 10:28 pm »
I have owned the Tekton Lores, the Tekton Pendragons, the Zu Essence, Zu Omen Def, and a highly upgraded Zu Omen Def.  So far my favorite ( and the one I miss the most is the upgraded Zu Omen Def........)

Rclark

« Reply #16 on: 27 Mar 2012, 10:32 pm »

No I've just noticed them getting resold quickly... more than others.

Hey Morgan, mind giving a quick blurb description of all those?

sebrof

« Reply #17 on: 27 Mar 2012, 11:51 pm »
.... back again. Dang! Now I'm really interested! Been looking over Tekton's website, they have a LOT of cool stuff to choose from, nice finish options, low prices (from 600- 5000 top model), and I like how the owner has a video gallery where he gets out in front and talks about his gear. I like the 30 day trial period... that rules...

These are definitely at the top of the list of things to audition for my living room-hometheater-mains speakers.

The Part Time Audiophile liked the Pendragons and the Lore-S:
http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2012/03/02/best-yet-the-tekton-lore-s/
http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2012/01/02/part-one-introducing-the-tekton-pendragon-option-ii/

And there was a bit of a buzz last year right here on AC when the Lores were picking up:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=94833.msg947465#msg947465

Lots to chew on for ya   :D

morganc

« Reply #18 on: 28 Mar 2012, 01:11 am »
No I've just noticed them getting resold quickly... more than others.

Hey Morgan, mind giving a quick blurb description of all those?

I am the worst at describing the sounds that I hear!  However, when I get a few moments I will do my best.  I will say that the Tekton Lore at $999 is amazing and worthy of the great reviews it is receiving.   

Rclark

« Reply #19 on: 28 Mar 2012, 06:22 am »
 Thanks guys, and looking forward to that Morgan. For some reason I've got a major woodie for this type of speaker.

Never really heard the high efficiency stuff before. So Yeah Morgan I'd love it if you took a sec and described all those, cause, wow, that's quite a list. (interested in the Pendragon too.. but why would you ever need THREE tweeters?  :scratch:)

I love that they are full range too..

I think once I get my next amps, which will be able to run anything well, it might be fun to "roll speakers" and just start sampling all types.