Poll

Have you noticed changes in new speaker sound during the break in period.

Yes, dramatic changes
9 (23.1%)
Yes, noticable changes
11 (28.2%)
Yes, subtle changes
13 (33.3%)
No, speaker break in is a myth
6 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Speaker Break In \ Run In

jaxwired

Speaker Break In \ Run In
« on: 19 Mar 2012, 07:22 pm »
If you have heard speaker changes during the break in period:

1.  How long was the break in period?
2.  What speakers?
3.  What changed in the sound?  Treble, bass, mid, imaging, soundstage, etc...

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Speaker Break In \ Run In
« Reply #1 on: 20 Mar 2012, 03:03 am »
I've had speakers that the tweeter needed the most break-in time and I've had speakers where it was definitely the woofer that needed to loosen up, Athena's and Allison's respectively.  Most of my equipment is purchased used and already broken in. 

gooberdude

« Reply #2 on: 20 Mar 2012, 03:48 pm »
I'm going thru this right now with a pair of Tang Band 1808's installed on an open baffle.  For the first 2 days the sound was awful, tight, constricted & no fun.  Then, I remembered that I own 2 difft driver break-in CD's from Isotek and Purist Audio.

I ran the Isotek track for 6 hrs straight on Sunday, and only this brief period corrected the drivers in fabulous fashion.  The musicians are all filling in the gaps across the width of the stage, the tone is finally right AND the drivers disappear during play.  There is zero hardness to the sound now, which there was in spades before playing the Isotek CD.  I'm not running an x-over during the break-in period.

I took the day off work yesterday and let the Purist Audio CD play all day, probably 8 hrs of continuous play.  My hope is that i'm done with driver break in, after only a few days.  People spend months or longer doing the same thing, yet I doubt their drivers ever get to the point where mine are at, after only 2 days of exercise  8)

its nice to not have to endure extended break-in periods, wear & tear on my gear, wasted time, etc, etc.   Anyone who doubts that driver break-in occurs shoulda been at my place over the weekend.   :o

matt
« Last Edit: 20 Mar 2012, 11:18 pm by gooberdude »

chrisby

« Reply #3 on: 20 Mar 2012, 04:57 pm »
1. +200hrs playing time
2.  Fostex and Mark Audio / Alpairs
3.  all areas listed plus dynamics / "micro-detail"  (texture of inner "voices") 

Saturn94

« Reply #4 on: 21 Mar 2012, 12:40 am »
There should have been an option that just said "No".  I chose "No" because I haven't noticed a difference, but I wouldn't say it's a myth.

It's already been shown that some driver specs do change over time (at least with woofers).  The question is whether or not those changes are audible. Some say yes, some say no. :dunno:

Personally, I've not noticed a difference with my speakers (see below).

ADS L1290 series 2:  I bought these new in 1986 and didn't notice a difference in 24 years of almost daily use.

Salk HT2-TL:  Again, I've not noticed a difference in 1 year of almost daily use.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #5 on: 21 Mar 2012, 03:47 am »
With all due respect, I would find it hard to remember any break in differences from 1986, but nevertheless, both the Salk, and to a lesser extent the ADS model, have very "tight", closely spec'd, high quality drivers.  I would expect the least change over the short term with both of these products.  If there are speakers that don't change audibly with time, Jim Salk's would be one of them, I can understand why you didn't hear any.

Which begs the question, does one hear more change during break in period with either/or cheaper speakers or different design types?  For example I could imagine bass reflex designs changing more than TL's, which change more than sealed, or something analogous. 

Saturn94

« Reply #6 on: 21 Mar 2012, 02:21 pm »
With all due respect, I would find it hard to remember any break in differences from 1986,......

Hehehe.........I don't claim to have any super audio memory, but I think I would remember if their sound changed in any meaningful way.  I got to know these speakers very well!  I just wanted to make the point that if there were going to be changes over time, I certainly knew them well enough and gave them enough time to change.

That said, it's possible that if there were very gradual/small changes over an extended period of time perhaps I may not have noticed.

but nevertheless, both the Salk, and to a lesser extent the ADS model, have very "tight", closely spec'd, high quality drivers.  I would expect the least change over the short term with both of these products.  If there are speakers that don't change audibly with time, Jim Salk's would be one of them, I can understand why you didn't hear any.

Interesting.  That could explain why I haven't noticed a difference with my Salks.  Or perhaps my "golden ears" are more like "tin ears". :lol:

Which begs the question, does one hear more change during break in period with either/or cheaper speakers or different design types?  For example I could imagine bass reflex designs changing more than TL's, which change more than sealed, or something analogous.

I'm inclined to think that large panels like Magnepans are more likely to change audibly over time than conventional/smaller drivers.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #7 on: 21 Mar 2012, 02:43 pm »
  The speaker surrounds need to loosen up for full excursion. A good tip is to place your speakers about 2" away facing each other. wire one speaker out of phase. This allows the speaker diafram to push in and out with some force. Loosens the suckers up.
   Put a blanket over them kick up the volume and let run in for 200 hours. Done and enjoy. If not just run them, just takes a bit longer.

charles

nrenter

« Reply #8 on: 13 Apr 2012, 01:30 am »
  The speaker surrounds need to loosen up for full excursion.

It's the spider more than the surrounds.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #9 on: 13 Apr 2012, 01:45 am »
It's the spider more than the surrounds.

Two sides to each coin. rollo's described method works dandy for both sides at the same time.  :thumb:

Have fun,

Jerry

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #10 on: 13 Apr 2012, 01:47 am »
Bought a new pair of Paradigm Studio 60v.2s a few years ago and was not at all happy with the sound. They had a noticeable (to me) quality which showed up on vocals mainly. I thought about returning them. After a month or so I noticed they sounded much smoother. I popped in the JB cd and sure enough the raspy quality was gone. I believe the speakers broke in.