Suggenstions for raising speakers approximately four inches

Doublej

I bought a pair of Hsu's to use as desktop speakers and I need to raise them approximately 4" to get the tweeters up to ear level.

Any suggestions? Someone suggested books or CD cases which sounds like a fine temporary solution but not a desirable long term one from my perspective.

srb

Re: Suggenstions for raising speakers approximately four inches
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2012, 02:40 am »
Are your HSU speakers the HB-1 with base dimensions of 8" X 8"?

One "clean" material, unlike brick or block, might be 8" X 8" X 4" clear glass block.  The glass surface would also make stick-on rubber pads for the bottom (desktop) and top (speaker) adhere easier.

They sell for ~ $2.50 ea. at Lowe's or other building supply stores.  And made in USA!
Pittsburgh Corning 8" x 8" x 4" Clear Glass Block

Steve

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jan 2012, 05:05 am »
You can always get yourself a solid maple block and pay a lumber yard which has a good saw to cut them.  You can screw spikes in too.

charmerci

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2012, 06:42 am »
Do you play them loud?

Then I would suggest that you go to your local hardware store and buy some noise isolation pads and (maybe cut and) stack them.

http://soundproofing.org/infopages/vibrationpads.htm
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2012, 06:47 pm by charmerci »

Doublej

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jan 2012, 02:16 am »
Are your HSU speakers the HB-1 with base dimensions of 8" X 8"?

One "clean" material, unlike brick or block, might be 8" X 8" X 4" clear glass block.  The glass surface would also make stick-on rubber pads for the bottom (desktop) and top (speaker) adhere easier.

They sell for ~ $2.50 ea. at Lowe's or other building supply stores.  And made in USA!
Pittsburgh Corning 8" x 8" x 4" Clear Glass Block

Steve

Yes they are the HB-1s. MK2 to be exact.

Brilliant idea, it's off to Lowe's to see what they have.

No I don't play them loud. It's the opposite. Often I play them so quietly that the preamp volume control can't go any lower without the sound cutting out. Perhaps I need a lower powered amplifier or if possible I need to reduce the overall gain on the preamplifier.

alec_cat

« Reply #5 on: 15 Mar 2012, 07:01 pm »
Have a look at the Primacoustic DX5s and DX7s; they are designed for this purpose, plus providing some decoupling from your desk.

They are about 3" high and also have upward tilting variants. I have an unused pair of DX5s. Currently using DX7s under my monitors.

nrenter

« Reply #6 on: 13 Apr 2012, 02:05 am »
Books (IMHO) is a cool and inexpensive option. Buy pairs of books with a cool binding (e.g. Famous quotes, old physics texts, etc.). Probably could get by with a stack of three under each speaker. Use some adhesive to keep them stacked the way you want.