UK Import Duties

C4rl

UK Import Duties
« on: 14 Dec 2010, 12:44 pm »
Hello

I’m from England and I seriously considering having my existing Slim Devices Transporter modified but I have contacted Dan and there is no longer a UK dealer.

I am therefore faced with the prospect of sending the Transporter across The Pond for modification but I have a few questions before doing so.

Has anyone else organized this process themselves from the UK? If so could you kindly answer a rather important question, did you get charged VAT or any other import duties. I have phoned Customs and Excise twice now but they don’t seem to know the answer, which is rather helpful  :roll:

They have classifications for repairs but no one seem to know anything about modifications.

UK VAT is schedules to increase to 20% in January; if my modification incurs this additional charge of $450 the cost of it becomes prohibitive.

Can any kind soul offer some advice?

Many Thanks

Carl :-)

Philistine

Re: UK Import Duties
« Reply #1 on: 14 Dec 2010, 01:11 pm »
Carl, I've sent gear to the OK for mods before and you can legally circumvent duties - just send it to Dan for repair and get the necessary supporting export (into the US) and import (back in the UK) official forms.  You need to get these forms from Fedex/USPS/ or whoever you use.  If you need any specific help shoot me a pm.
Phil

C4rl

Re: UK Import Duties
« Reply #2 on: 21 Dec 2010, 07:46 pm »
Thanks for the reply Phil  :) it is despite my tardiness in replying  :duh: very much appreciated.

Hmmmmm decisions, decisions  :scratch: