Power cord options for SWL9.0 Signature?

HPower

Power cord options for SWL9.0 Signature?
« on: 3 Apr 2007, 10:59 pm »

Well guys, tomorrow my new SWL 9.0 Signature should show up on that darn Brown Truck, I can't wait.

While I have been waiting I have run 4 new dedicated 10/2, 15amp lines to the system area and capped
them off with 2 Shunyata SR-Z1 outlets.
Now my Bryston 14B, Musical Fidelity CDP, and the SWL will have their very own AC source, with 1 spare
for the future.

I will be giving myself a few weeks to get to know the new preamp before I start any experimenting but
I am wanting to get some opinions as to what might be a good match for a power cord upgrade.

What have you guys tried with your SWL's?

I would also like to upgrade my OEM PC's on my 14B, and MF while I am at it, probably in the same family of cables.

Thanks

AB

Re: Power cord options for SWL9.0 Signature?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Apr 2007, 12:09 am »
I use Chris Venhaus' Flavor 4.

Huge improvement over stock but I can't compare it to any of the millionen other PCs available because I tried the F4 and was immediately contented. I am like that sometimes...

MarkR7

« Reply #2 on: 4 Apr 2007, 01:01 am »
I had great luck (and sound) running a Poiema III power cord on my Modwright preamp when I owned it.  I still use the Poiema III on the tubed power supply for my Modwright 9000ES cdp.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #3 on: 4 Apr 2007, 01:18 am »
Hello HP,
 Power cords. like anything audio, is a matter of personal preferences. Right now I have a VH Audio Flavor 4 feeding my SWLP. When I am not running mono bloc amps, I have one of the VH Audio Airsine cords feeding it.
 A good quality aftermarket cord should prove to be an improvement.

HPower

« Reply #4 on: 4 Apr 2007, 03:21 am »
I realize that I did ask a bit of a loaded question and that there is not 1 simple answer but I was hoping to narrow
the field down to a few for consideration.

A few semi affordable cables that I have heard good things about are JPS Power AC+, Black Sand Violet, and Acoustic Zen Tsunami.

Also there is some interesting reading at:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=103597

Although this is just one man opinion, he has done a ton of work to compile his findings.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #5 on: 4 Apr 2007, 04:40 am »
HPower...

All power cords work the same.....get the cheapest one...... 8)

Well....not really. Some actually work better than others....why....don't know :?....but my ears heard a difference. :D

Since your in Canada...contact John at Black Sand Cable......check out his Violet or Silver Reference. I started with Harmonic Tech, moved to VH Audio, and ended my search with Black Sand....I heard a difference, and for the better.

And....if you just want a plain power cord...one that works and not much money, you can try a Volex 17604....but I liked the Black Sand much better... :thumb:

TONEPUB

« Reply #6 on: 4 Apr 2007, 05:58 am »
I really like the DH Labs Power Plus with the ModWright.  not too expensive ($180 US) but great
performance.  Depending on the condition of the power in your area, you will get a modest improvement
in air and a touch blacker background.

I wouldn't call this a jaw dropping experience, but a touch more.

One other thing I have had great experience with on just about every tube component is
putting a set of Finite elemente Cereballs or a set of Rollerblock Jr's underneath.

Again, subtle, but it does seem to tighten things up just a little bit.

gthomas

« Reply #7 on: 4 Apr 2007, 10:36 pm »
So far I have just used the stock PC, but may try something else.  Is any one using any power conditioning with their Pre-Amp?  I have mine plugged into a BPT.  Any thoughts? 

Gene

HumanMedia

« Reply #8 on: 5 Apr 2007, 01:45 pm »
VH Audio Flavor 4 here also (with Furutech Gold IEC and male plug)

Whilst the Flavor 4 is too heavy sounding for many front ends, it seems to like the SWL and power amps, where it seems very even and balanced.

Tried the SWL on a balancing tranformer, but it sounded better plugged straight into the wall.

HPower

« Reply #9 on: 5 Apr 2007, 04:43 pm »

Hey lonewolfny42,

What Black Sand did you settle on and with which plugs?
Based on what I read in Mark's comparo, he came up with various findings depending
on the plugs and cable used in the Black Sand.

Another cable that was suggested by a local shop was "TheEssence REFERENCE Power Cord".

http://www.essentialsound.com/pwrcord.htm

I have heard the name before but that is about it, has anybody had any experience with this product?
The reviews mention how this cable works well with a wide variety of gear.

HumanMedia

« Reply #10 on: 6 Apr 2007, 12:03 am »
Just a note on the Black Sand Silver Reference.  I tried this (with Furutech Gold ends) on the SWL but it sounded a little constrained with my system (maybe because its shielded?).  I found my Class D power amps love the Black Sands Silver References but I keep coming back to the Flavor 4 for the SWL.

mtodde

« Reply #11 on: 6 Apr 2007, 02:27 am »
After using the stock cord with my SWLP Signature for several months I tried the JPS Analog power cable and the improvement was pretty dramatic.  The JPS AC+ cable was a slight improvement over the Analog but I liked it on my VT-100 amp too much to keep it on the pre.

Yesterday I tried a Running Springs Audio/Cardas Golden Reference and I think I'm set for a long time.  The level of detail and the blackness of the background was remarkable. 

I've bought all of my power cables on Audiogon...its a good way to try something without paying full retail.  You also could try renting a few power cables from the Cable Company to see what you like best. 

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #12 on: 6 Apr 2007, 04:08 am »

Hey lonewolfny42,

Based on what I read in Mark's comparo, he came up with various findings depending

Another cable that was suggested by a local shop was "TheEssence REFERENCE Power Cord".

I have heard the name before but that is about it, has anybody had any experience with this product?

Well....I own four Black Sand Cables...no fancy plugs....just what they came with. Two are the Silver Reference....and two are the White Light (an older design not on their site). I like the Silver Reference on the Modwright....but thats what I prefer. You may hear things different....so try a few different ones. Maybe borrow some from friends....or audition some for 30 days. Try different ones....take your time....its not a race.

The product you mentioned..."The Essence REFERENCE Power Cord"....I know nothing about it....sorry. Give it an audition....check it out. The only way you will know how good it works is by trying it. Good luck.... :thumb:

Chris

rpf

« Reply #13 on: 6 Apr 2007, 04:21 am »
I've tried several cords with the SWL 9.0 SE. I've found the VH Audio AirSine (w Oyaide Gold) the best (and it still works well now that I've upgraded to the tube PS, although I suspect an AirSine with a Furutech Gold would work at least as well).

I've also liked the VHA Flavor 2 (w Furutech Gold) and the Kimber Palladian PK14 (Wattgate Gold).

The AirSine with a Wattgate Gold was too warm (although it's been my favorite on the several digital players I've had in the last yr., including my current Modwright Platinum Sony 9100). Likewise a Pranawire Kensho. The Black Sand Violet Z1 (w either Furu or Oyaide Gold) didn't work as well as either of the VH Audio cords. As with the above poster the Black Sand worked better on my amp.

Whatever you pick up I'd recommend pasting the blades with Xtreme Cables "Quicksilver Gold" contact enhancer. Gives increased resolution, soundstaging, and tonal accuracy, with no minuses I can hear. Great with PCs, ICs, and spkr. cables (I have it on all of mine).

TONEPUB

« Reply #14 on: 6 Apr 2007, 04:29 am »
I have had excellent luck with the Essential sound products,
The Essence Reference.  I used it on my SWL 9.0 with great
results and am currently using it on the SWP as well.

Very neutral and quiet!

Double Ugly

« Reply #15 on: 6 Apr 2007, 04:47 am »

Hey lonewolfny42,

Well....I own four Black Sand Cables...no fancy plugs....just what they came with. Two are the Silver Reference....and two are the White Light (an older design not on their site).

Chris is right; the only way to know for sure is to try them yourself. 

IMO, he's also right about the Black Sands Silver Reference PCs.  I've tried a variety of high-dollar PCs, but I kept the same cables in my system for years until hearing the Silver Refs.  It was no contest.  The 'old' PCs are now relegated to a closet, and Silver Refs power every piece of electronics in my system (2 monoblock amplifiers and a highly-modified Slim Devices Transporter).  If I had 10 different sources, I'd have at least 10 Silver Reference power cords.

One of the great things about the Silver Refs is that they're less expensive than every cable I've owned or auditioned, save for the <$10 Volex 17604 (I own 2 or 3, maybe more).  The Volex are decent PCs, but even my 'old' PCs were considerably better (albeit a lot more expensive).  That the Silver Refs were even better came as quite a surprise.

I know the guy with the headphones preferred the Black Sands Violet, but that's just one man's opinion.  Unless you have reason to believe you agree with what he hears, own a similar system and use the same headphones, his opinion probably shouldn't carry any more weight than anyone else's.  John @ Black Sands says the Silver Ref is the best PC he builds, and I believe him.

Whatever you do, try a few PCs and let your ears decide.  No matter what I or anyone else thinks, you're the only one who needs to be satisfied with your choice.

As always, YMMV.

-Jim

gthomas

« Reply #16 on: 8 Apr 2007, 06:17 pm »
I just ordered some Quicksilver Gold.  Interested to see what it does to my system!!

Gene

rpf

« Reply #17 on: 9 Apr 2007, 01:38 am »
 8)  Let us know what you think about the Quicksilver Gold. 

Regards,
Rob

rlmacklin

« Reply #18 on: 27 Apr 2007, 03:49 pm »
Some months back I had Black Sand Violets on all components.

Then got 3 Black Sand Silver Ref MkVs which sonically outperformed Violets on my Odyssey Mono Extreme (Klaus's special board edition) power amps and so Silver Refs have stayed there.

I got 2 new 2-meter Black Sand Silver Ref MkVs Wednesday.

I first tried Silver Ref vs. Violet on the Modwright SWL 9.0 Signature Edition w/Bendix 6900 tubes. 
The Silver Ref seemed to bring more "definition" across the board, somewhat more "relaxed" highs, and possibly a bit more or slightly deeper bass.  This was with a Violet PC still on the Denon 3910 source. This combo seemed more "refined" somehow than Violets on both, but still had energy/impact/perhaps forward momentum(?)

Next I tried Violet back on the Modwright, but shortly decided to switch back to the Silver Ref and continue with that on the preamp.  I also tried plugging the preamp into the different isolated outlet banks on power conditioner and the "high current" filtered outlets [intended for power amps but I am running those straight from wall outlet] seemed to outperform the filtered outlets supposed to be for analog preamps, and the high current outlet connection was best with both Violet and Silver Ref.

I then put the second new Silver Ref on the Denon 3910, w/ first Silver Ref still on the Modwright,
so entire 2-channel component chain powered by Silver Refs!
This combo sounded very smooth, very relaxed, extremely "non-fatiguing,"
but somehow seemed to be missing some energy/impact/perhaps forward momentum(?)
With Silver Refs powering entire component chain, to my ears it sounded "too polite."

I returned a Violet to the Denon 3910 source - and noted the return of the subtle energy/impact/perhaps forward momentum(?).
 :thumb:  So I will stick with Violet on source only and
Silver Ref MkVs on Modwright SWL 9.0 Signature Edition and power amps.

I reported my results to John Cook at Black Sand and he agreed re the overly "polite" sound with all Silver Refs and says he now steers folks toward using a Violet on sources/transports.

Midnite Mick

« Reply #19 on: 1 May 2007, 03:09 pm »
I tried 2 Black Sand Silvers on my monoblocks but they did not work out for me.  On my amps the soundstage collapsed, the sound stayed more so at the speakers, and became less dynamic vs. just the stock cords.  I then tried them on both my source and preamp and I got the dynamics, and soundstage back, moreso because of the stock cords being back on the amps.  However, the overall sound was still too warm and not as open sounding.  I then committed to selling them. 

The last couple of days I tried one of them on just the preamp.  For the first time I thought, hey this sounds pretty good.  Nice natural presentation, overall warmth but not suppressing or closed.  However, I already committed to selling them and shipped them out yesterday afternoon.  I have since been listening to the stock PC's on the Modwright and I now notice the upper frequency hard edges with the Tung Sols in the Modwright back as well as the background being more noisy.  oops.

I think why they did not work so well on the Consonance gear is because they are in stock form already quite warm sounding and the cords just took it too far.

Thanks,
Mike