Bryston CD1 Player Case Screws

mauvedipstick15

Bryston CD1 Player Case Screws
« on: 26 Aug 2020, 04:26 pm »
Can anybody tell me what type of screws keep the outside casing on, and what size and type of implement do I need to undo them please.

Silverbullet

Re: Bryston CD1 Player Case Screws
« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2020, 10:31 pm »
Bryston screws are Torx T8

mauvedipstick15

« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2020, 07:45 am »
Thankyou Sir, appreciate it.

mauvedipstick15

« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2020, 07:15 am »
I have just taken the top off my Bryston CD-1 and see that the cd drive has “made in China” is this normal.!!!! Were all the cd drives made in China for BCD-1.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 28 Aug 2020, 09:34 am »
I have just taken the top off my Bryston CD-1 and see that the cd drive has “made in China” is this normal.!!!! Were all the cd drives made in China for BCD-1.

Hi

They are Phillips drives in the CD1.

james

mauvedipstick15

« Reply #5 on: 28 Aug 2020, 09:51 am »

mauvedipstick15

« Reply #6 on: 28 Aug 2020, 09:54 am »
The sticker says made in china! Purchased from uk Bryston dealer 8 years ago approx and rarely used as i stream more.

mauvedipstick15

« Reply #7 on: 28 Aug 2020, 09:57 am »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #8 on: 28 Aug 2020, 11:50 am »
Yes Phillips probably had they made in China.

james

mauvedipstick15

« Reply #9 on: 14 Sep 2020, 08:17 pm »
I have just had an e mail from PMC in the UK, Bryston Agent,my bcd 1 is in there for the skipping they think its the laser and are contacting Bryston in Canada to see if they have a laser,otherwise I think it will end up as a door stop. :(

mauvedipstick15

« Reply #10 on: 26 Sep 2020, 05:54 pm »
PMC the Bryston agent in the UK replaced the laser assembly in the bcd 1 i got it back and its still skipping?Its like it loses the power feed for a mili second the only way i can explain it, anyone have any thoughts or idea’s.

mauvedipstick15

« Reply #11 on: 8 Dec 2020, 04:34 pm »
After talking to Mike Picket he went above and beyond and send me a new source board to Pmc.uk.I got the CD 1 back today and it played ok for first 2 hours, then back to skipping on the first cd I played, that never skipped previously.Anyone any ideas!!!

R. Daneel

« Reply #12 on: 16 Dec 2020, 12:49 pm »
After talking to Mike Picket he went above and beyond and send me a new source board to Pmc.uk.I got the CD 1 back today and it played ok for first 2 hours, then back to skipping on the first cd I played, that never skipped previously.Anyone any ideas!!!

What's the model of that CD mech? Is it an OEM drive or does it have special mods made for Bryston?

What did Mike send to PMC, just the laser assy or the complete mech?

Keep in mind that Philips made many different drives in many different places, just like Sony. Even different batches of the same drive performed differently. Hence some CD players last for many years and others with the same drive start to misbehave very quickly or never work properly.

jpbach

« Reply #13 on: 21 Dec 2020, 04:12 pm »
Hello.  I have had the same skipping issue for at least five years.  About 30-40 minutes into any CD, the music starts glitching -- sounds a little like skipping on a vinyl record, sort of a 'pop' then the music resumes but not exactly where it left off.

I had purchased my BCD-1 new in 2008, so by 2015 or so it was out of warrantee.  When the issue started, I contacted Bryston, who have always been very good about servicing their products.  (I also own a B60R.)  They offered to have a look at it but indicated that if they needed to replace the drive it would cost something like $600 US.  At the time, I could not afford to spend that on a CD player repair, so I opted not to send it in.

I found this thread because I started to try to take the player apart, just to see if I could fix it myself, but I did not have the right screw head.  Thanks, SilverBullet, for solving that mystery.

Mauvedipstick15, I will be very interested to hear if you are able to find a solution.  Sorry that Bryston's initial attempt did not work out.

One other possible solution I discovered was people selling replacement drives online.  I have seen one sold from Europe and another from China.  It is tempting to order one and see if that might fix the issue.  I have very little electronics repair experience, but at this point I might be willing to give it a try.

Hopeful that all of us BCD-1 owners can figure out a solution to the issue.

M3 EuroLTW

« Reply #14 on: 5 Apr 2021, 02:19 am »
JP can't get PM.

Did you follow up on any of the aftermarket available transports?  I bought one of the German Ebay ones to have as back up, although my BCD-1 still works normally.

mauvedipstick15

« Reply #15 on: 11 Nov 2021, 04:18 pm »
I tried the German one sent direct to PMC was still skipping, got another drive from Germany,still on my sideboard just living with the skipping.  Sorry for late reply.

mauvedipstick15

« Reply #16 on: 9 Dec 2021, 07:12 pm »
UPDATE,
      My Bryston cd payer is now playing flawlessly and I have not done a thing to it !!! apart from moving system to another location.

M3 EuroLTW

« Reply #17 on: 16 Aug 2022, 01:59 pm »
The German Ebay one is NOT the correct laser for our BCD-1.  The layout on the pcb is clearly different, and its not the correct item.  It also comes with much thinner wire harness soldered into place compared to the wire harness on our BCD-1.  Is this a real difference that is audible?  I don't hazard a guess. But either way, its not the correct one.