Pumpkinman’s "Rock and Roll" thread.

vinyl_lady

Re: P-Mans "Rock and Roll" Vinyl LP page
« Reply #4280 on: 19 Jan 2015, 01:37 am »

Catching up on the records played yesterday evening.

ACHiPo

« Reply #4281 on: 19 Jan 2015, 01:38 am »
I got the Classic recording as a Christmas gift from an employee...Do they know me or what???

Paul
Sounds like you're surrounded by good people that love you!

ACHiPo

« Reply #4282 on: 19 Jan 2015, 01:39 am »

vinyl_lady

« Reply #4283 on: 19 Jan 2015, 01:40 am »

45 RPM

vinyl_lady

« Reply #4284 on: 19 Jan 2015, 01:42 am »
This looks good!

It's really good. Blue/gray and gold ATCO label

vinyl_lady

« Reply #4285 on: 19 Jan 2015, 01:45 am »

brooklyn

« Reply #4286 on: 19 Jan 2015, 05:14 am »
WOW I thought I was the only person to buy that record!!!

Klaatu Barada Nictu (sic)
At the time the rumor was that it was the Beatles incognito or some such.

Yes, I remember the rumor, they do sound a little like the Beatle singing.
Here is the another album I have by the band...

jimdgoulding

« Reply #4287 on: 19 Jan 2015, 06:42 am »
Television.  Revisit the 80's

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #4288 on: 19 Jan 2015, 05:15 pm »

Electric Flag: "A Long Time Coming."

Doc

ACHiPo

« Reply #4289 on: 19 Jan 2015, 06:19 pm »
Fleetwood Mac
Rumors

All Music Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine
Rumours is the kind of album that transcends its origins and reputation, entering the realm of legend -- it's an album that simply exists outside of criticism and outside of its time, even if it thoroughly captures its era. Prior to this LP, Fleetwood Mac were moderately successful, but here they turned into a full-fledged phenomenon, with Rumours becoming the biggest-selling pop album to date. While its chart success was historic, much of the legend surrounding the record is born from the group's internal turmoil. Unlike most bands, Fleetwood Mac in the mid-'70s were professionally and romantically intertwined, with no less than two couples in the band, but as their professional career took off, the personal side unraveled. Bassist John McVie and his keyboardist/singer wife Christine McVie filed for divorce as guitarist/vocalist Lindsey Buckingham and vocalist Stevie Nicks split, with Stevie running to drummer Mick Fleetwood, unbeknown to the rest of the band. These personal tensions fueled nearly every song on Rumours, which makes listening to the album a nearly voyeuristic experience. You're eavesdropping on the bandmates singing painful truths about each other, spreading nasty lies and rumors and wallowing in their grief, all in the presence of the person who caused the heartache. Everybody loves gawking at a good public breakup, but if that was all that it took to sell a record, Richard and Linda Thompson's Shoot Out the Lights would be multi-platinum. No, what made Rumours an unparalleled blockbuster is the quality of the music. Once again masterminded by producer/songwriter/guitarist Buckingham, Rumours is an exceptionally musical piece of work -- he toughens Christine McVie and softens Nicks, adding weird turns to accessibly melodic works, which gives the universal themes of the songs haunting resonance. It also cloaks the raw emotion of the lyrics in deceptively palatable arrangements that made a tune as wrecked and tortured as "Go Your Own Way" an anthemic hit. But that's what makes Rumours such an enduring achievement -- it turns private pain into something universal. Some of these songs may be too familiar, whether through their repeated exposure on FM radio or their use in presidential campaigns, but in the context of the album, each tune, each phrase regains its raw, immediate emotional power -- which is why Rumours touched a nerve upon its 1977 release, and has since transcended its era to be one of the greatest, most compelling pop albums of all time.

ACHiPo

« Reply #4290 on: 19 Jan 2015, 06:24 pm »
Steve Miller Band
Number 5

All Music Review by Jim Newsom
Released in the summer of 1970, Number 5 was the fifth LP by the Steve Miller Band in just over two years. While it compares favorably to its immediate predecessor, Your Saving Grace, it is not quite up to the consistent excellence of the potent Brave New World from the previous summer. However, it does have a fair share of delights, especially the opening triumvirate of "Good Morning," "I Love You," and "Going to the Country." These selections, and all of side one, have a distinctly more rural feel than did previous recordings, due perhaps to the fact that the tracks were recorded in Nashville. Charlie McCoy contributes harmonica to several of these cuts, and Buddy Spicher plays fiddle on "Going to the Country," while Bobby Thompson adds banjo to "Tokin's." Side two is more uneven, with the lead-off mid-tempo rocker "Going to Mexico" serving as a conclusion to the first side's thematic coherence, and the closing "Never Kill Another Man" a string-laden ballad. Sandwiched between them are three experimental-sounding pieces, seasoned with sound effects, buried vocals, and semi-political themes. Although it couldn't have been predicted at the time, Number 5 represented the end of an era for Steve Miller and bandmates, and subsequent albums would sound nothing like this first batch of great recordings.

Samples

ACHiPo

« Reply #4291 on: 19 Jan 2015, 06:25 pm »

Got that one, too.  Neither made the cut for this morning's cleaning session, but maybe this afternoon?

ACHiPo

« Reply #4292 on: 19 Jan 2015, 06:30 pm »

I just Googled them and it appears they're still around, or at least have a site: Klaatu Site

Samples

brooklyn

« Reply #4293 on: 19 Jan 2015, 06:32 pm »

The Steve Miller Band   Book of Dreams

vinyl_lady

« Reply #4294 on: 19 Jan 2015, 07:01 pm »
Fleetwood Mac
Rumors

All Music Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine
Rumours is the kind of album that transcends its origins and reputation, entering the realm of legend -- it's an album that simply exists outside of criticism and outside of its time, even if it thoroughly captures its era. Prior to this LP, Fleetwood Mac were moderately successful, but here they turned into a full-fledged phenomenon, with Rumours becoming the biggest-selling pop album to date. While its chart success was historic, much of the legend surrounding the record is born from the group's internal turmoil. Unlike most bands, Fleetwood Mac in the mid-'70s were professionally and romantically intertwined, with no less than two couples in the band, but as their professional career took off, the personal side unraveled. Bassist John McVie and his keyboardist/singer wife Christine McVie filed for divorce as guitarist/vocalist Lindsey Buckingham and vocalist Stevie Nicks split, with Stevie running to drummer Mick Fleetwood, unbeknown to the rest of the band. These personal tensions fueled nearly every song on Rumours, which makes listening to the album a nearly voyeuristic experience. You're eavesdropping on the bandmates singing painful truths about each other, spreading nasty lies and rumors and wallowing in their grief, all in the presence of the person who caused the heartache. Everybody loves gawking at a good public breakup, but if that was all that it took to sell a record, Richard and Linda Thompson's Shoot Out the Lights would be multi-platinum. No, what made Rumours an unparalleled blockbuster is the quality of the music. Once again masterminded by producer/songwriter/guitarist Buckingham, Rumours is an exceptionally musical piece of work -- he toughens Christine McVie and softens Nicks, adding weird turns to accessibly melodic works, which gives the universal themes of the songs haunting resonance. It also cloaks the raw emotion of the lyrics in deceptively palatable arrangements that made a tune as wrecked and tortured as "Go Your Own Way" an anthemic hit. But that's what makes Rumours such an enduring achievement -- it turns private pain into something universal. Some of these songs may be too familiar, whether through their repeated exposure on FM radio or their use in presidential campaigns, but in the context of the album, each tune, each phrase regains its raw, immediate emotional power -- which is why Rumours touched a nerve upon its 1977 release, and has since transcended its era to be one of the greatest, most compelling pop albums of all time.

Easily my favorite Fleetwood Mac album regardless of who was/is in the band. I have a first pressing with the textured cover and the Nautilus reissue. I also have the 45 RPM reissue from the original analog tapes and it is just spectacular. After listening to the 45 RPM you realize there was more music in the studio than we previously thought. Gold Dust Woman is absolutely mesmerizing.

I saw them in late November at the Moda Center in Portland from the 5th row center. Christine is touring again after 16 years and the band was really on the night I saw them. All the great old songs including most of Rumours. They played for 2 hrs 45 mins. with 2 encores. The final song was Christine on the piano accompanied by Lindsey on an acoustic guitar singing Songbird.

ACHiPo

« Reply #4295 on: 19 Jan 2015, 07:20 pm »
VL,
I'm thinking I need to find another copy, as this one is pretty lifeless and compressed (it is the textured version).  It's also "well loved"--I think I bought it new, but may have bought it used shortly after it came out, which makes a bit more sense because even my well-played records are in pretty decent shape.

I'm not a fan of 45 RPM albums because 1) it's a PITA to change speed on my WTT and 2) getting up to flip the album every 2-3 songs breaks up the momentum.  How is the Nautilus version?

Thanks,
AC

ACHiPo

« Reply #4296 on: 19 Jan 2015, 07:24 pm »
John Mayall
No More Interviews

There are a couple really nice songs on this album ("Falling" and "Take me Home Tonight"), but the rest is unremarkable.

ACHiPo

« Reply #4297 on: 19 Jan 2015, 09:14 pm »
The Kinks
One for the Road

All Music Review by Bret Adams
The Kinks' scattershot U.S. career never fully flourished like that of their British Invasion peers. The most quintessentially British of British bands -- especially in the increasingly nostalgic songs of vocalist/rhythm guitarist Ray Davies -- The Kinks enjoyed a spike in popularity in America in the late '70s and early '80s. The gold-selling 1980 double-live album One for the Road is a fascinating document of trailblazing elder statesmen who paved the way for heavy metal and punk, but never felt a glorious pop song was out of their grasp. It also proves that Dave Davies is a criminally underrated lead guitarist. Brothers Dave and Ray Davies, bass guitarist Jim Rodford, drummer Mick Avory, and guest keyboardists Ian Gibbons and Nick Newell recorded One for the Road at several concerts in 1979 and 1980. "Lola" is the best-known track from this album, and this live reading was a minor hit single; Ray Davies' teasing intro shows his playful side. "The Hard Way," "Low Budget," a raw, stripped-down "(Wish I Could Fly Like) Superman," "Celluloid Heroes," and "You Really Got Me" are the other standouts. [The Konk/Velvel enhanced two-CD reissue is fantastic. It includes all the songs from the original double album; "20th Century Man" was cut from Arista's U.S. CD but is restored here. The extremely detailed, photo-packed liner notes feature an enlightening essay and complete recording information -- an appropriate approach given the historical importance of The Kinks. Surprisingly, overdub information is mentioned; most live albums are doctored and sweetened in some way, but bands usually aren't eager to reveal this fact. Among the extras on the second CD are 20 minutes of footage from the September 23, 1979, show in Providence, RI. All similar reissues should aspire to this level of quality.]

All Music Review and Samples

jimdgoulding

« Reply #4298 on: 19 Jan 2015, 10:55 pm »
Easily my favorite Fleetwood Mac album regardless of who was/is in the band. I have a first pressing with the textured cover and the Nautilus reissue. I also have the 45 RPM reissue from the original analog tapes and it is just spectacular. After listening to the 45 RPM you realize there was more music in the studio than we previously thought. Gold Dust Woman is absolutely mesmerizing.

I saw them in late November at the Moda Center in Portland from the 5th row center. Christine is touring again after 16 years and the band was really on the night I saw them. All the great old songs including most of Rumours. They played for 2 hrs 45 mins. with 2 encores. The final song was Christine on the piano accompanied by Lindsey on an acoustic guitar singing Songbird.
Damn fine post, mi Lady.  Don't have the 45rpm but I'll be spinning what I do have bout the time the sun sets.  Plus, I have a friend in our local audio club that has it and I'll persuade him to bring it over.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #4299 on: 19 Jan 2015, 11:48 pm »
Damn fine post, mi Lady.  Don't have the 45rpm but I'll be spinning what I do have bout the time the sun sets.  Plus, I have a friend in our local audio club that has it and I'll persuade him to bring it over.

Do it! It will be worth the listen