Wasapi 3.0 'Event' vs. 'Push'

claytontstanley

Wasapi 3.0 'Event' vs. 'Push'
« on: 15 Sep 2012, 03:44 am »
I just upgraded my Wasapi driver in Foobar2000, and it seems that there are now two modes of operation. Event and push.

So I did a quick google search, trying to find the difference between the two modes, and all I could find were qualitative assessments of the difference in sound.

Anyone have any good links that point to the theory or quantitative assessments between the two different modes? I'd like to better understand the fundamental difference between the two; not see a bunch of (sample size = 1) posts about which one sounds different to particular users, etc.

Thanks for the help,

-Clayton

donunus

Re: Wasapi 3.0 'Event' vs. 'Push'
« Reply #1 on: 20 Dec 2012, 09:20 am »
I am also interested to know more about this too. I hear slight differences with my DAC but I am not sure which one is supposedly more bitperfect if that makes any sense.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 20 Dec 2012, 11:42 am »
Here is JRiver's explanation of WASAPI Event mode operation and how it operates:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WASAPI

Hope this helps.

Guy 13

« Reply #3 on: 20 Dec 2012, 11:48 am »
Here is JRiver's explanation of WASAPI Event mode operation and how it operates:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WASAPI

Hope this helps.

Hi all Audio Circle members.
I know some of you don't care,
but all that stuff is like Chinese to me.
I am too old to learn all those new hi-tech words.
I will leave that to the younger generation.

Guy 13

claytontstanley

« Reply #4 on: 20 Dec 2012, 07:32 pm »
The JRiver link has some useful information.

I've actually switched back to ASIO4ALL. I don't yet trust Microsoft's APIs to use them for audio. Even if WASAPI is supposed to be a large improvement over KMixer. As I understand it, like kernel streaming, ASIO4ALL bypasses all of the OS's audio stack.