Hot Running DAC's

catluck

Hot Running DAC's
« on: 11 Apr 2022, 01:32 pm »
Wondering if anybody has thoughts on whether it's OK to leave a HOT running DAC on all the time?  Currently one of my DAC's is the Gustard X26 which runs very hot (apparently due to the ESS Sabres running current mode) + 2 50watt toroids in the house.  The chassis gets quite hot. Gustard suggested turning the unit off when not in use. Aeoshida indicated both to turn it off overnight (when you're not listening to music) and that's it's also OK to leave it on all the time.  Aeoshida also indicated that the DAC requires about 2 hours to warm up.  My thinking is that the thermal cycling, day after day, might be more stressful to the electronic parts than simply leaving the unit operational full-time. Thoughts?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Hot Running DAC's
« Reply #1 on: 11 Apr 2022, 02:33 pm »
Heat is the enemy of electronics when it comes to electronics life.  Turn it off when not in use would be my recommendation.

navi

« Reply #2 on: 11 Apr 2022, 10:37 pm »
2 hours warm is a load of crap. 30-60 seconds is more than fine.

ACHiPo

« Reply #3 on: 11 Apr 2022, 11:03 pm »
My Holo Audio May DAC runs very warm as well.  I leave it on 24/7 unless I'm out of town for a few days.  I have some concerns about the effect of heat, but the mfg claims it's fine.

Freo-1

« Reply #4 on: 23 Apr 2022, 06:47 pm »
The Chord Hugo-TT2 DAC runs quite warm.  I leave it off unless in use.  It stabilizes out rather quickly,  so see no need to leave it on.