Would anyone be able to build one of these for me?

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
Would anyone be able to build one of these for me?
« on: 22 Aug 2012, 08:46 pm »
Im no DIY kind of guy but im in the market for an NCore amp. I was hoping I could buy all the components and have them build it for me at a negotiated price? Anyone interested?

firedog

Re: Would anyone be able to build one of these for me?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2012, 05:24 am »
Member Mike (mgalusha - looking for his link in the thread) was building them a while back. I can't speak for him, contact him and ask if he's still willing.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 23 Aug 2012, 05:59 am »
If Mike is too busy, you could try Gary Dodd.  Depending on how busy he is, he might do it if the price is right.  His work is impeccable. 

hil45

« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2012, 10:34 am »
I'm in the same boat- if anyone in the UK is up for building a pair of mono ncores for negotiated price, please let me know.  Cases don't have to be anything fancy. Cheers!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 24 Aug 2012, 01:01 am »
I'm in the same boat- if anyone in the UK is up for building a pair of mono ncores for negotiated price, please let me know.  Cases don't have to be anything fancy. Cheers!
Where in the UK?

mgalusha

« Reply #5 on: 24 Aug 2012, 01:10 am »
I'm no longer assembling the amps, just not enough hours in the day. If you PM me I can suggest a copule of folks who may be able to assist you.

mike

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #6 on: 24 Aug 2012, 03:21 am »
Give Scott Nixon a call as he built my Ncore mono's, you'll have to talk with him on pricing but he is very reasonable .call  336.884.7394   11am-4pm EDT M-F

hil45

« Reply #7 on: 24 Aug 2012, 10:50 am »
Where in the UK?

North London. I guess location needn't necessarily be a factor, as they could be shipped once completed. 
« Last Edit: 25 Aug 2012, 02:07 pm by hil45 »

mkcarnut

• Go get yourself some cheap sunglasses
« Reply #8 on: 24 Aug 2012, 09:11 pm »
To the OP...in terms of electronics, I'm not the most DIY-guy myself.  I do have a lot of experience w/building things from wood and doing home wiring, working on cars, and such.  The extent of my knowledge with electronics DIY is building some old kits from Radio Shack and Heathkit when I was a kid (which were very much simplified with detailed instructions), and replacing some boards in my computer that were 100% plug and play.

Net, I am far from an expert with building electronic stuff.  But, I chose to start my own build.  Frankly, the toughest part & the one that requires the most tools is the cabinet from what I see...getting the right holes in them where you want them.  The wiring part appears pretty simple (if you keep it basic).

Unless you really feel totally uncomfortable, my advice would be to build it yourself.  You could consider finding someone who you can work with to put the right holes in whatever off-the-shelf case you buy, then do the assembly yourself.  For the electrical connections, the critical ones (the ones to the amp board and power supply) are plug and play, and there are just a few solders that need done.  If I count correctly, there would be 3-5 solders/monoblock (3 to XLR connector pins and 2 to the power input unless you use a spade connector and just crimp the power lines on).  And, in soldering terms, these are simple ones with room for error.  You could either give those a try yourself (practicing first, of course, on something other than your new parts if you have never soldered before) or find someone who can solder and having them do it.

Bottom line - I would not be too scared of this build.  In relative terms to true/full DIY...it's easy.

Mark

timind

• permanent vacation

worldcat

« Reply #10 on: 30 Aug 2012, 07:30 pm »
If anyone needs someone to put the Ncore together they can contact me i would be interested in doing it for you if interested.

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #11 on: 13 Sep 2012, 03:09 pm »
There is an excellent guy in the Houston area, Uriah Daily, he is well known on the DIY forum and does OEM work as well.  He built my nc400 bridged mono blocks and is willing to build more Ncore's and a very fair price.  If you are interested drop me a PM.
Guy

ua100k

• Industry Participant
    • Merrill Audio
« Reply #12 on: 13 Sep 2012, 07:11 pm »
Im no DIY kind of guy but im in the market for an NCore amp. I was hoping I could buy all the components and have them build it for me at a negotiated price? Anyone interested?

PM Sent.

mkcarnut

« Reply #13 on: 14 Sep 2012, 02:38 am »
Just got my 1st one built, and if you use pre-made cases...these are really easy to build.  There are a lot of details left out of the Hypex instructions, but if you want a basic build...it's really easy.  I would not hesitate to do it knowing what I now know.

Mark

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: 14 Sep 2012, 06:25 pm »
There are a lot of details left out of the Hypex instructions

I actually don't think that is the case.  If one has not a clue then I could see how that person could conclude that.  It's all there if you look long enough.   :wink:

I mean, I was able to do it...

mkcarnut

« Reply #15 on: 14 Sep 2012, 09:25 pm »
The writing is not very clear, to me...but with a few questions here and of hypex, any confusion was cleared up.  But, it's easy once you understand the little details.  Also, they actually have a drawing wrong in their instructions...if you read through the instructions and compare it to the drawing, there's an inconsistency.  That was the most confusing part - knowing which is right.

Mark

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: 15 Sep 2012, 01:44 am »
Also, they actually have a drawing wrong in their instructions...if you read through the instructions and compare it to the drawing, there's an inconsistency. 
Where?  Please point that out for us?

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #17 on: 15 Sep 2012, 01:51 am »

It's not that the drawing was wrong per se, just ambiguous:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=105438.msg1111313#msg1111313

Just takes patience, thorough review of the instructions and a wee bit of lateral thinking + elbow grease. The reward is huge however.

YMMV, IMHO, etc

Anand.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: 15 Sep 2012, 02:04 am »
It's not that the drawing was wrong per se, just ambiguous:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=105438.msg1111313#msg1111313

Just takes patience, thorough review of the instructions and a wee bit of lateral thinking + elbow grease. The reward is huge however.

YMMV, IMHO, etc

Anand.
I don't understand that link.

mkcarnut

« Reply #19 on: 15 Sep 2012, 03:11 am »

Figure 2, page 12 shows that the J9 connector, pin #3 is not connected to anything.  If you read through all the text, that's the nampon connection which must be connected to ground or it won't work.  So, as I looked at it all, I was not sure which was correct - the text or the drawing.  Given I paid about $1400 to get the parts, I didn't want to guess on anything.

Jos acknowledged the outage in the drawing.  Ideally, they will correct the inconsistency between it and the text.

Mark