Labguy68

Would you rather?...
« on: 29 Apr 2023, 08:07 pm »
Which is the better deal....?

Songtower with raal tweeter for $1100
Or
Veracity HT2 for $2000
(both in equal 8/10 condition)
My inclination is to get the more expensive one, but it may be a bit too big for my space plus it may not be the best buy between the two.
Which deal would you rather go with?

WGH

Re: Would you rather?...
« Reply #1 on: 30 Apr 2023, 12:52 am »
Definitely the HT2-TL. I heard the Songtower (not with the RAAL) at RMAF and loved it. Went back to the Salk room at the end of the day and the HT2-TL were playing, loved it more.
More bass - tight, controlled and deep.
Perfect driver integration - the RAAL and SEAS blend seamlessly
Detailed but not analytical

The HT2-TL will accurately reproduce everything before it. The speaker is not ruthlessly revealing but it won't smooth over any flaws either.

Jim Salk wrote:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=185336.msg1943767#msg1943767

"In the midrange, the the Audio Technology mid (basically a Dynaudio driver) is a bit smoother and warmer sounding than the Seas Excel W18's in the HT2-TL's.  This is always a balancing act.  Some people love the incredible detail in the Seas W18's.  Others may find them to be a bit too "analytical" for lack of a better term.

"For many years, I preferred all the detail I could get out of a speaker.  That is because I worked in recording studios and wanted to hear every minute detail in a mix.  But I find the smoother performance of the AT mid to be very relaxing and can listen to it for hours on end.  In a way, it is like the difference between a good tube and and a good solid state amp.  Both can sound great, but they definitely sound a bit different."

I never thought the HT2-TL over analytical (and I do listen to them hours on end) but I do feed it well. Van Alstine electronics work very well, the voicing of AVA electronics compliments the speaker with a hint of warmth plus they have power. The HT2-TL love power, figure 200 watts per channel to sing. Speaker cable needs to be 10-11 gauge or the bass is attenuated.

I have heard other Salk speakers and wondered "where did the detail go?" They didn't sound bad, just different than what I'm used to. The HT2-TL sound is closer to a full range electrostatic without the head-in-a-vise imaging.

And speaking of imaging - my system is a combo stereo/home theater. Everyone who hears the stereo for the first time asks if the center speaker is on, of course it isn't but the combination of AVA electronics and HT2-TL speakers pull off a disappearing act.

Labguy68

« Reply #2 on: 30 Apr 2023, 02:01 am »
 Fantastic ! Thank you,  this is the information I was looking for. You seem to strongly recommend getting the HT2 even at twice the price of the song tower. Now, what warm integrated amps would be a good fit? Vincent 237mkii, Hegel, Parasound Hint, Peachtree, etc.? Many amp choices, not sure what would yield great synergy.  Mcintosh might be out of my price range, but maybe I'll save for something higher end than I can afford now if it will be a big sonic Improvement. I don't need super loud (I'm in an apartment) just great sound quality even at low volumes. Thanks!

Labguy68

« Reply #3 on: 30 Apr 2023, 02:35 am »
Okay, 1 other question. Given that Jim himself thinks the w-18 can be a little on the bright and analytical side(compared to the TA dynaudio, plus the fact the the HT2-TL requires gobs of power, do you have any suggestions for equal or better sounding/less power hungry (used ok) speakers in the 2k-$2500 range? The Arendal line that is also direct order caught my eye. Arendal is a rather new "hype train" speaker being touted by many youtube reviewers, so I'm not really sure how they or others compare overall sq wise and price wise to the HT2 or something else. Let's help me build a better stereo team! Thank you 😃🎶🎶🔊🎵🔊

RonN5

« Reply #4 on: 30 Apr 2023, 12:25 pm »
Both are great sounding loudspeakers. The H2 TL gives you a little more to work with and will sound more authoritative…… but…..

I’ll add that if the room is on the small side and you play at 80db or more, there is a fair chance that the h2tl will overload the room…. too much bass or too bright.

I had the Veracity STs with the RAAL… fantastic loudspeakers… the RAAL is as good as it gets… but if you don’t have a good source and a great amp, you are going to know it. 

The Parasound Hint should be a decent match… not too bright and easy to resell should you ever decide to move on.

screener

« Reply #5 on: 30 Apr 2023, 01:37 pm »

I’ll add that if the room is on the small side and you play at 80db or more, there is a fair chance that the h2tl will overload the room…. too much bass or too bright.

I'll second this comment. My room didn't appreciate the Veracity ST over 80db. Keep the Songtowers with the RAAL instead. Had both set of speakers in my room.

DFpritchard

« Reply #6 on: 30 Apr 2023, 03:23 pm »
Regarding integrated amps, I had the original version of the Parasound Halo (not the Hint version) which worked very well with the Song3s.  Also had the Wells Majestic, which sounded even better to my ears.  Jim used to pair some of his speakers with Wells amplification at shows, to good effect.  I don't know if this was with the Majestic or the Inamorata.  Both integrated amps show up on used equipment websites, the Halo more commonly than the Wells Majestic.  If you can find one used, the Majestic is a great value.

Enjoy.

WGH

« Reply #7 on: 30 Apr 2023, 05:05 pm »
The SongTowers would be a better fit in a small room with low listening levels, you are not going to be loosing much, if anything, because the ST's also have a RAAL tweeter plus Salk has never made a bad sounding speaker. The $900 savings could be put toward a better amp, DAC or streamer.

I haven't heard any of the integrated amps you mentioned but the entire playback chain is important as well. For an example you could get Parasound Hint and pair it with a $100 Sony CD/DVD player and get very mediocre results.

What are your current electronics? You may not need to upgrade at all, some of my stuff is 10 years old and sound just fine. I'm not guessing about the sound either, our local audiophile group meets at different members houses so we get to evaluate different systems and hear if areas like imaging, bass, smoothness and clarity are better or worse than our home stereos.

There are 100's of SongTowers around the country and probably a pair close to where you live. Salk owners love to show off their systems too, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Look in the two Salk Owner's Audition List threads, there may be someone close to you. It's always best to listen before you buy.

List 1
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=20721.0

List 2
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=88740.0

I have never heard a better speaker than Salk for the amount you want to spend, the used prices are a terrific deal. If you want a smaller, apartment sized speaker that is easy to drive and sounds excellent then Fritz Speakers are something special. Fritz Speakers rarely, if ever, show up used. His Carbon 6 would fit into your budget.
https://www.fritzspeakers.com/sound.asp

Saturn94

« Reply #8 on: 1 May 2023, 12:36 am »
The SongTowers would be a better fit in a small room with low listening levels, you are not going to be loosing much, if anything, because the ST's also have a RAAL tweeter plus Salk has never made a bad sounding speaker….

This.  Unless one needs the extra bass capabilities of the HT2-TL, the SongTower is a great choice.

Many years ago I had the opportunity to hear the HT2-TL next to the SongTower (ST had the standard tweeter).  I was quite surprised how much alike they sounded (very much alike!).  If it wasn’t for the extra bass capabilities of the HT2-TL (I like to turn it up!), I would have bought the SongTower.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #9 on: 1 May 2023, 04:13 pm »
Fantastic ! Thank you,  this is the information I was looking for. You seem to strongly recommend getting the HT2 even at twice the price of the song tower. Now, what warm integrated amps would be a good fit? Vincent 237mkii, Hegel, Parasound Hint, Peachtree, etc.? Many amp choices, not sure what would yield great synergy.  Mcintosh might be out of my price range, but maybe I'll save for something higher end than I can afford now if it will be a big sonic Improvement. I don't need super loud (I'm in an apartment) just great sound quality even at low volumes. Thanks!

Out of those amps you have listed, I would consider the Vincent or Hegel.  I owned a Parasound A21 and it is not a warm sounding amp.  None of the Parasound amps are warm sounding.   I haven't heard those HT2's but I have heard the HT3's at Frank Van Alstine's shop.  AVA gear does mate well with the HT3's.  They definitely need gear that leans to the warmer side.
« Last Edit: 4 May 2023, 03:25 am by I.Greyhound Fan »

MiamiAngler

« Reply #10 on: 1 May 2023, 10:10 pm »
Can’t comment on the speakers but I’m very happy with my Krell K300i with my Beats.

floresjc

« Reply #11 on: 1 May 2023, 10:42 pm »
Those are both a pretty good deal, I think the HT2-TL is overall a better value. That particular pair you're looking at in Florida I seriously about drove down and picked up (its about 14 hours from Maryland to that part of Florida). I don't see being able to pick up a speaker of that capability at that price from the Salk line from here going forward with the new owners/price increases. I picked up a pair of Song3 Encores for 3k about a month ago and those are now close to 10K a pair new. I believe the HT2-TL's are 8K+ now as well (4K or thereabouts when introduced and I bought them).

I've had both the HT2-TL's and two pairs of Songtowers in my home for the last 15 years and I dearly love both. I've never had the HT2-TL's in a particularly small room so I can't comment there, but they are overall the better speaker and definitely have a bit more bass range. The SongTowers are just a fun, great sounding speaker, I have a pair hooked up to my computer right now in a tiny room and they still sound good.

Personally if I were starting over and going for a nice budget-ish system that sounds fantastic in a small room, I'd get the RME ADI-2 FS DAC ($1200) combined with AVA's SET120 ($1200) and the Songtowers ($1100). The DAC has EQ, preamp, and remote. Total system cost would be $3500 if you bought those SongTowers.

P.S. The major physical difference between the two is the depth. Yes, the HT2-TL is a bit wider across the front, but its so much bigger front to back than its SongTower sibling. I can pick up and move a SongTower by itself, an HT2-TL is just a bit unwieldy and more weighty that I always cajole my wife into helping.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #12 on: 4 May 2023, 03:26 am »
I had to correct my post about amps.  I meant to say that the Parasound A21 is not a warm sounding amp.  It is neutral with a hint of brightness.  The Hegel and Vincent are warmer.  AVA gear, especially their SET amps have some warmth to them.  The SET amps have a really sweet midrange that is more romantic sounding.