DIY Ultrasonic album cleaner

Heckler75

Re: DIY Ultrasonic album cleaner
« Reply #200 on: 13 Mar 2018, 11:24 pm »
Hello  to everyone and finally will be giving US  cleaning a try :o

will be using a 10L tank  and Vinyl stack  for my setup   and need a good starting point with the fluid.

trying to keep it simple with the fluids:

Distilled water
Isopropyl alcohol------how much per gallon?       
Triton X100------------how many drops per gallon? 

and a final rinse with DW and Vac  dry?   

Cheers

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #201 on: 14 Mar 2018, 12:12 am »
Hello  to everyone and finally will be giving US  cleaning a try :o

will be using a 10L tank  and Vinyl stack  for my setup   and need a good starting point with the fluid.

trying to keep it simple with the fluids:

Distilled water
Isopropyl alcohol------how much per gallon?   about 8-10 oz    
Triton X100------------how many drops per gallon?  6-10

and a final rinse with DW and Vac  dry?    absolutely,  more important than the fluid mix

Cheers

Heckler75

« Reply #202 on: 14 Mar 2018, 02:07 am »
 S Clark   :thumb:

was trying to go thru some other forums and my head kept spinning with all the  different "ingredients"  people used with US cleaning.

just want a good starting point and keep it simple,  some mentioned IPA (4-5%)  and Triton-X (0.13%)   for total amount

Cheers

soulforged

« Reply #203 on: 28 Mar 2018, 06:25 pm »
Hello, I'm on the lookout for a good, inexpensive record cleaning solution. Came across this on ebay -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultrasonic-Vinyl-Record-Cleaner-Cleaning-Machine-Complete-System-w-Drying-Rack/202257975166?hash=item2f1783c77e:g:AEEAAOSwwARaph2o

Any thoughts on this? I would not be able to go completely DIY so thought this might be a good alternative.

Cheers!

Folsom

« Reply #204 on: 28 Mar 2018, 07:38 pm »
Hello, I'm on the lookout for a good, inexpensive record cleaning solution. Came across this on ebay -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultrasonic-Vinyl-Record-Cleaner-Cleaning-Machine-Complete-System-w-Drying-Rack/202257975166?hash=item2f1783c77e:g:AEEAAOSwwARaph2o

Any thoughts on this? I would not be able to go completely DIY so thought this might be a good alternative.

Cheers!

Spacers look too narrow. Pretty sure min distance has been covered in this topic.

S Clark

« Reply #205 on: 28 Mar 2018, 08:23 pm »
I did the calculations when I made my spacers... about 3cm wide IIRC.  I find that although I can clean 3 per cycle, I usually do only 1 or two.  By the time I vacuum the first lp, the second one needs dipping to keep the solution from drying on the vinyl. 

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #206 on: 29 Mar 2018, 06:11 pm »

« Last Edit: 10 May 2018, 12:11 am by Bob2 »

S Clark

« Reply #207 on: 9 Apr 2018, 12:01 am »
I've gotten waaayyyy behind in cleaning... I've probably got 150 lp's that I've bought that need cleaning.  So I opened some wine and got started.  Got a 12-15  done.

By the way, BE WARNED.   :o :o :o :o   These things are so much louder than you realize.  Unfortunately I need hearing aids.  While auditioning an "upgrade", one of the programs reached up to 50K Hz and re-interprets it down to frequencies I can hear--- and DAMN the ultrasonic cleaners are loud.  Like, wear hearing protectors or leave the room when they are running, type loud.  Seriously guys.  These are probably too loud to safely be around when operating.  My audiologist has no knowledge of the effects on ultrasonic on human hearing, but better safe than sorry. 

Be careful with your hearing.  You can't replace it well when it's gone. 

S Clark

« Reply #208 on: 4 May 2018, 05:28 pm »
Cleaned a few for a buddy who uses a traditional vacuum system.  He called to say how they were noticeably quieter.
Also, I wanted to plug an U.S. Cleaner that our member Rollo is now carrying. Finally commercial cleaners are reaching reasonable prices.  You can still DIY cheaper, but it's not 10X cheaper anymore.

simoon

« Reply #209 on: 7 May 2018, 08:05 pm »

Also, I wanted to plug an U.S. Cleaner that our member Rollo is now carrying. Finally commercial cleaners are reaching reasonable prices.  You can still DIY cheaper, but it's not 10X cheaper anymore.

Which one?

Don't leave us in the dark...

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #210 on: 7 May 2018, 08:16 pm »
I've gotten waaayyyy behind in cleaning... I've probably got 150 lp's that I've bought that need cleaning.  So I opened some wine and got started.  Got a 12-15  done.

By the way, BE WARNED.   :o :o :o :o   These things are so much louder than you realize.  Unfortunately I need hearing aids.  While auditioning an "upgrade", one of the programs reached up to 50K Hz and re-interprets it down to frequencies I can hear--- and DAMN the ultrasonic cleaners are loud.  Like, wear hearing protectors or leave the room when they are running, type loud.  Seriously guys.  These are probably too loud to safely be around when operating.  My audiologist has no knowledge of the effects on ultrasonic on human hearing, but better safe than sorry. 

Be careful with your hearing.  You can't replace it well when it's gone.

What?

S Clark

« Reply #211 on: 8 May 2018, 12:36 am »
Which one?

Don't leave us in the dark...
Kirmuss Audio at just under $800.  I know, I can DIY for under $200, but it's ugly, and and you have to fiddle with it.  If you are using a $500 vacuum unit, $800 for an ultrasonic is a much better buy.   And Charles is one of the good guys, so buy from him if you decide to get one. 
https://www.kirmussaudio.com/

S Clark

« Reply #212 on: 8 May 2018, 12:39 am »
What?
T.B. no kidding around on this one.  If you use an U.S. cleaner, use hearing protection.  I can't spare any more frequencies lost to noise damage.  I spent too many years being muzzle blasted while quail hunting with my brother... paying the price now. 

simoon

« Reply #213 on: 9 May 2018, 09:54 pm »
T.B. no kidding around on this one.  If you use an U.S. cleaner, use hearing protection.  I can't spare any more frequencies lost to noise damage.  I spent too many years being muzzle blasted while quail hunting with my brother... paying the price now.

Oh duh...

It is the same one I recommended on this post -

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=157133.0

S Clark

« Reply #214 on: 10 May 2018, 12:07 am »
Oh duh...

It is the same one I recommended on this post -

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=157133.0
Simoon, you beat me to the recommendation on this one.  Yep, it's the same one.  Still, buy it from Charles, tell him you saw it on AC, and ask him for a member discount... it can't hurt. 

nrenter

« Reply #215 on: 18 May 2018, 01:31 pm »
Here's where I landed for my US machine...

Remove 51.50 ml of water from a gallon of distilled water, and replace with...

Hepastat 256 - 2.00 ml
Triton X - 2.25 ml
97% Iso - 47.25 ml
EDTA - 1 gram

This is 1/4th concentration of a scrub-n-rinse cleaning solution.

JDUBS

« Reply #216 on: 10 Oct 2018, 04:06 am »
Hey guys, I'm getting back into vinyl....which is the correct Amazon model (40khz) to order?

-Jim 

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ultrasonic+cleaner+6+liter&ref=nb_sb_noss

S Clark

« Reply #217 on: 10 Oct 2018, 04:42 am »
This looks like the basic Chinese unit that many of us are using.  At $129 it's a cheap price.  Don't know if the others are more durable, but mine has been working for a couple of years with no issues.
https://www.amazon.com/Ultrasonic-Cleaner-Commercial-Jewelry-Digital/dp/B07597C6Z1/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1539146365&sr=8-4&keywords=ultrasonic+cleaner+6+liter

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #218 on: 12 Oct 2018, 07:42 pm »
Not relative to DIY.....but since I started this thread I figure I can abuse it.... :icon_twisted:

https://www.kirmussaudio.com/?fbclid=IwAR07jwLTAepL8U776KGDatUTGo0CqSKgtLHtWOOG82WQsWvqskGoYYISNCU

nrenter

« Reply #219 on: 12 Oct 2018, 07:50 pm »
For the record (pardon the pun) I've gone back to 100% distilled water in my US machine. I may experiment with additives, but even the concentration below was leaving reside on my LPs. I'd like to add just enough Hepastat 256 to keep my machine funk-free. I may experiment with that.

Here's where I landed for my US machine...

Remove 51.50 ml of water from a gallon of distilled water, and replace with...

Hepastat 256 - 2.00 ml
Triton X - 2.25 ml
97% Iso - 47.25 ml
EDTA - 1 gram

This is 1/4th concentration of a scrub-n-rinse cleaning solution.