Belt upgrades/tweaks

lazydays

Re: Belt upgrades/tweaks
« Reply #20 on: 6 Feb 2013, 08:40 pm »
   Thanks Gary. Has anyone tried fishing line ? The motor has Mapleshade brass cones under. So far so good.

charles

fishing line (most think of monofilment or nylon) will stretch over time and often will tighten up after stretching as well. I'm kinda interested in flyline backing right now (gelspun), but can't get a good knot out of it. Plus it seems to be abrasive. I did make a motor isolator out of several old CD's with rubber sadwiched between them. Results were not exactly what I was after, but it did reduce the feedback a little bit (maybe 30%). What I'd really like to find is some 3/16" UHMV plastic to play around with. It must be ridgid, but still not transmit the vibrations that come with the motor.
gary

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #21 on: 6 Feb 2013, 09:23 pm »
  Interesting about using thread rather than rubber belt. I'll give it a try on the Kuzma Stobi S. I'm concerned about slipping using the thread approach as opposed to the rubber belt. Uses a stand alone motor so it can be tight but not sure. Any comments appreciated. Sounds like a good experiment.
charles
The cost of the OEM belt gave me a heart attack. $150 for a replacement OEM belt for the Stabi/Stogi S combo.
Total ripoff...
Yeah I also own a Stabi/Stogi S with a Dynavector 17D3

Krytoxlub

Re: Belt upgrades/tweaks, fishing line test
« Reply #22 on: 2 Apr 2018, 02:59 am »
I have a VPI Aries II (12 Inch platter and 300Hz motor) After reading this thread, I made a belt for my Aries from 12lb Power Pro braided green line.   

I ballparked the length of the Aries belt to be 40".  Made a belt with a simple overlap knot.   The belt is a bit short, I had to adjust my SDS to 63.28 HZ to get the right speed.  So next try will be 41" long. 

Seems to work well, speed is stable. Table sounds brighter now with bass tighter.  I need to do more testing. 
The VPI motors weight a lot and being standalone it is easy to adjust for a thread type belt.

The 12 lb braided fishing line.  0.10mm diameter is extremely small.  In comparison, No. 2 silk thread is 0.45mm, No. 4 silk is 0.60mm, and No. 6 silk is 0.70mm.

sunnydaze

« Reply #23 on: 2 Apr 2018, 05:13 pm »
The cost of the OEM belt gave me a heart attack. $150 for a replacement OEM belt for the Stabi/Stogi S combo.
Total ripoff...
Yeah I also own a Stabi/Stogi S with a Dynavector 17D3

Measure your current one and buy it from here:

http://turntablebasics.com/beltmodels.html

Most are in $10 - $15 range.

This is where I get my Townshend Rock mk3 belts.  I refuse to pay insane prices to ripoff snake-oil vendors.

Years ago I owned Kuzma Stabi "S" / Stogi "S".   Great setup.  Its added benefit is that the motor pod is stand-alone so no need to be super accurate in measuring belt length.  If length is a touch off, just re-position pod relative to the sub-platter to get correct tension.

sunnydaze

« Reply #24 on: 2 Apr 2018, 07:19 pm »
PS:  I bought a belt for the Kuzma setup from TurntableBasics.   Worked fine.

Audio Refugee

« Reply #25 on: 2 Apr 2018, 10:23 pm »
You guys are gonna HATE this. The belt kept slipping off the sub-platter of my Thorens TD-280 mk3. So, I ordered and installed a brand new Thacker (which is OEM) belt, and it still slipped off every time I started the TT. So, after getting frustrated, I went out to the garage and grabbed a can of Belt Ease belt dressing for automotive fan belts. Sprayed the belt, lightly worked it in with my fingers, and then put ithe belt back on the TT. It’s never slipped off again. Problem solved.  :thumb: