Members Gallery, Pictures of Salk speakers in members homes

coke

Re: Members Gallery, Pictures of Salk speakers in members homes
« Reply #260 on: 2 Jan 2014, 03:02 pm »

I bet fedex hates you lol.  That looks like a serious climb!

robcentola

« Reply #261 on: 2 Jan 2014, 09:48 pm »
I think they do. Sometimes they leave packages at the bottom.

I must remember to get to get the shots of the two of us hauling my Salks. I was sore for two days. I can't imagine what it's going to like when I get the SS8's next year. ;)

SCompRacer

« Reply #262 on: 5 Jan 2014, 10:19 pm »
Getting there! One more amp to try, some wire management, but Jasper approves! I'll get rid of the two acoustic treatment stands behind speakers after I make some cable riser stands. It is much easier to clean under cables if they are off the floor. I like to keep power cables away from IC's too. The subs shore up the lower frequencies as this room is open to the main level that add another 25 x 20 feet. Like 25-35Hz. They don't even come in with most music.

As good as the other amps were that I had tried, this old Krell KSA-250 adds things making it worthwhile to keep. Like me, old but still useful.... :lol:

« Last Edit: 8 Jan 2014, 06:07 pm by SCompRacer »

Big Red Machine

« Reply #263 on: 5 Jan 2014, 10:56 pm »
Nice.  How would you characterize the Shunyata unit; is it effective?

Cable risers, I made some unique ones out of wood to separate power from signal.  Are you handy with woodworking tools?

SCompRacer

« Reply #264 on: 5 Jan 2014, 11:36 pm »
Nice.  How would you characterize the Shunyata unit; is it effective?

Thanks Red! The old house it was, but that was an old post war (II) house/neighborhood with poor power. We are in a relatively new subdivision now and the power is better. I've never tried it without here. Amps are plugged direct into wall. It's just filled with what Shunyata called.....Stardust. It looks nice though and has plenty of outlets for my gear. I inherited it from a dear friend that passed away so I doubt I'll ever part with it.

Cable risers, I made some unique ones out of wood to separate power from signal.  Are you handy with woodworking tools?

I like to think I am, :o I built the heavy plinth for my Lenco turntable.  I'd like to see the risers you made. I bought a wood shelf bracket that I was going to trim to fit against the molding with slots in rear and front. Similar to the acoustic treatment stands I made. I have a south and west wall system setup I can make and didn't want to fix them in place.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #265 on: 6 Jan 2014, 12:09 am »

Bowl blanks, a router table, and some tongue oil

WireNut

« Reply #266 on: 6 Jan 2014, 12:24 am »
ScompRacer,

Very nice sir, I like those  :thumb:

joegator81

« Reply #267 on: 6 Jan 2014, 03:21 am »
Here are my newly refinished songtowers. I started a thread about these elsewhere but since this is the place for Salk pics I thought i'd post here as well. I've had my songtowers for a few years but they were originally finished in satin black. However, some problems occurred with the finish and I sent them back to Jim to have new cabinets made w/ zebrawood under a light black dye. The center and the surrounds are still all satin black.

My system consists of:

Speakers: Salk Songtowers, Songsurrounds, and Songcenter
Sub: Epik Legend (BASH 300 plate amp replaced the defective original)
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR707
Analog Preamp: Parasound Classic 2100
Power Amp: NAD C270
Universal Player: Oppo BDP-83
Computer System DAC: Halide DAC
Turntable: Clearaudio Concept w/ Concept MC
Phono Pre: Musical Surroundings Phenomena II
Room Treatments: Subdude, GIK, and DIY
Cables: Blue Jean, Monoprice, Audioquest
TV: Panasonic TC-P65ST60 Plasma

All in all, not a bad sounding system. The NAD gives plenty of warmth. I like that, but really interested to hear an Odyssey amp in my system. Would also love to try the Nova Phenomena as well. I still enjoy tweaking around with it. The only problem I have now is I enjoy looking at the speakers just as much as I do listening to them  :icon_lol:

Guy 13

« Reply #268 on: 6 Jan 2014, 03:34 am »
Hi joegator81 and all Audio Circle members.
I like your (Improvised) acoustic treatment, simple and I am sureit's effective.
That's the kind of material I am trying to find here in Vietnam.
Nice set up.

Guy 13

Beatlebum

« Reply #269 on: 26 Jan 2014, 04:54 pm »

So I spent about 4 hours last weekend repositioning my Soundscape 8's in accordance with the Sumiko procedures. This repositioning resulted in a noticeable improvement in the bass extension and overall dynamics. What's comical is the location of the speakers changed only a few inches from where I originally set them up.

Austin08

« Reply #270 on: 26 Jan 2014, 07:52 pm »
Beatlebum,

Nice set up. So do you notice any different with the Soundcity outrigger compare with Salk plinths?

Beatlebum

« Reply #271 on: 26 Jan 2014, 09:42 pm »
Austin,

Thanks and to be honest I don't know if there's any sonic difference. However, with the Sound City outriggers, I now have the ability to perfectly level the speakers or change the rake angle if I desire, with the twist of the adjustment nobs.

coke

« Reply #272 on: 10 Feb 2014, 02:15 pm »
My father recently passed away, and my brother and I have had to divide his posessions between us.   My brother doesn't really care for audio equipment, so he got my dad's Klipsch, Yamaha, and Rythmik system, and I got his Salk & AVA system.  In 28 years, the day my dad got his Salk speakers was probably the happiest I had ever seen him.  Every time I listen to the speakers now; I remember the joy they brought him.

I've placed the system in my bedroom.  It's composed of Songtower RTs, AVA insight amp and preamp, and an eastern electric DAC.

PMAT

« Reply #273 on: 10 Feb 2014, 02:44 pm »
So sorry for your loss. Awesome way to remember your dad though. I love listening in my bedroom. It's very large so my main listening is in there nowadays.

Guy 13

« Reply #274 on: 11 Feb 2014, 08:46 am »
Hi coke and all Audio Circle members.
Sorry about your father.
Of course looking at and listening to your father's sound system
might be (A little) painful in a sense,
but it also bring back nice memories I am sure.
Enjoy and think that maybe your father is listening with you
from up there.

Guy 13

coke

« Reply #275 on: 11 Feb 2014, 02:16 pm »
Thanks everyone.   
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2014, 06:17 pm by coke »

ckullmann1

« Reply #276 on: 6 Mar 2014, 03:39 pm »
My Songtower based system:

and a behind the scenes look:

jackman

« Reply #277 on: 6 Mar 2014, 03:59 pm »
Getting there! One more amp to try, some wire management, but Jasper approves! I'll get rid of the two acoustic treatment stands behind speakers after I make some cable riser stands. It is much easier to clean under cables if they are off the floor. I like to keep power cables away from IC's too. The subs shore up the lower frequencies as this room is open to the main level that add another 25 x 20 feet. Like 25-35Hz. They don't even come in with most music.

As good as the other amps were that I had tried, this old Krell KSA-250 adds things making it worthwhile to keep. Like me, old but still useful.... :lol:

Cool setup!  What are those metal pucks under your spikes?  Did you buy them separately and if so, where did you get them?  Thanks!

Jack

SCompRacer

« Reply #278 on: 6 Mar 2014, 06:05 pm »
Cool setup!  What are those metal pucks under your spikes?  Did you buy them separately and if so, where did you get them?  Thanks!

Jack

Thanks Jack!  The metal pucks are repurposed top of tube end caps from a VTI audio rack. I had a double wide VTI rack with some heavy gear on them. The sharp points VTI uses punctured a tiny hole in ten of the caps. I purchased replacement caps from VTI before selling the rack, like $3 each IIRC.

I had some 3/8" thick oak wood trim lying around. I drilled out round biscuits with a 1 & 3/8" hole saw. (1/4" thick would not protrude far enough out; the edges of cap would touch floor). I used construction adhesive to glue the biscuits into bottom of end caps. I attached felt pads to the bottoms so they are easy to slide around without marring the floor.

coke

« Reply #279 on: 6 Mar 2014, 06:31 pm »
My Songtower based system:

and a behind the scenes look:

Looks nice.

If you haven't yet, try swapping your speakers so the tweeters are on the outside.  Also, try temporarily throwing a blankets over your TV and table.