Salk STQWT Wins TAS EC Award

rlee8394

Salk STQWT Wins TAS EC Award
« on: 20 Jan 2011, 11:07 pm »
The latest edition of The Absolute Sound was just released. The Salk Song Tower QWT won the Editor's Choice Award for 2011. Congrats to Jim and crew!! :beer:

Ron

fsimms

Re: Salk STQWT Wins TAS EC Award
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2011, 02:53 am »
Congratulations Jim, Dennis and Paul.  Well deserved!  :thumb:

Bob

Saturn94

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2011, 02:58 am »
Well deserved!  Congrats to Jim and his team. :thumb:

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2011, 04:19 am »
The latest edition of The Absolute Sound was just released. The Salk Song Tower QWT won the Editor's Choice Award for 2011. Congrats to Jim and crew!! :beer:

Ron

I think that's good.   What's the Editor's Choice Award?  Was it done by price categories? 

ratso

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jan 2011, 03:08 pm »
mmm hmmm. it isn't a single winner, it's "recommended" buys for each price group. i think there were about 4-5 winners in the st's category. the only drawback they mentioned is they thought the st was a bit "dark" sounding (not suprising when you consider all the overly bright shrill speakers out there).

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2011, 06:04 pm »
mmm hmmm. it isn't a single winner, it's "recommended" buys for each price group. i think there were about 4-5 winners in the st's category. the only drawback they mentioned is they thought the st was a bit "dark" sounding (not suprising when you consider all the overly bright shrill speakers out there).

Well, Jim can throw in a cheap LED flashlight with the next orders. 

Saturn94

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jan 2011, 06:35 pm »

:lol:

Can I get my flashlight in a custom finish? :lol:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 21 Jan 2011, 09:01 pm »
Just turn the lights on in the room. 

BTW-Dark Sounding?   :dunno:  What does that mean?

Nuance

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jan 2011, 10:54 pm »

:lol:

Congrats to Jim, Dennis and team.  Well deserved if I do say so myself.

Mudslide

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jan 2011, 06:01 am »
Congrats Jim, Dennis, et al.   :notworthy:

Why am I not surprised?!

jsalk

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jan 2011, 05:33 pm »
...they thought the st was a bit "dark" sounding (not suprising when you consider all the overly bright shrill speakers out there).

That's strange.  The demo pair we sent them was curly maple.  That is about the lightest finish we do.  :scratch:

- Jim

ratso

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jan 2011, 07:13 pm »
heh!

there's been some talk over the years that speakers sound "bright" to cater to older ears as the upper frequencies diminish as you get older. older people tend to accumulate more money for things like $50K speakers, $50K speakers are made brighter to accomodate their listening audience, reviewers give glowing reviews to the $50K speakers (i mean it's $50K it's gotta be good, right?), and less expensive speakers try to sound like the $50K speakers. when a speaker comes out with a tweeter that doesn't sound like nails on a chalkboard, i guess that's "dark" sounding. thanx for the dark sounding speakers, jim - keep it up.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #12 on: 22 Jan 2011, 09:42 pm »
But seriously folks.  I haven't seen the issue yet--which version are they referring to?  The RAAL or 0W2?

jsalk

« Reply #13 on: 22 Jan 2011, 11:50 pm »
But seriously folks.  I haven't seen the issue yet--which version are they referring to?  The RAAL or 0W2?

OW2, but I don't recall seeing that comment in the Dick Olsher review they did???  I haven't seen the issue either, so it will be interesting.

- Jim

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #14 on: 23 Jan 2011, 01:55 am »
It's possible they're reacting to the lack of any kind of peak around 1 kHz.  I recently had a chance to measure several popular Internet  speakers against the 1801, and all of those speakers were more forward in that region, and also had somewhat hotter highs.  We could switch instantly among all of the speakers using my magic comparo box, and I guess I can see where someone used to the presentation of the majority of commercial speakers might think the ST's (which are very similarly voiced to the 1801's) would have less presence on voices, and maybe that translates into "dark."  The cost of accentuating the region around 1 kHz is that you lose detail on more complex music.  The gathering in question wasn't large, but the 1801's were definitely preferred, and were the only speakers that ended up being bought by an attendee.  In any event, I don't want to peer too intently into the mouth of the gift horse TAS gave us.  Dark, bright, pastel--they liked it. 

HiFiver655

« Reply #15 on: 16 Sep 2023, 03:39 pm »
Congratulations!