kevinh

Re: Hypex NCore question and answers
« Reply #100 on: 22 Apr 2012, 02:41 pm »

George,
thanks for the quick revue.
Very promissing.
Can you tell us how sensitive your speakers are
The Ncore "only" delivers 200/400w at 8/4 ohm
(speakers with 85db/w as maggies needs a lots of watts)

Jerry

In your case (or with Sound Labs for example) bridging to get 600W @ 8ohms could be helpful

GS

« Reply #101 on: 22 Apr 2012, 09:45 pm »

In your case (or with Sound Labs for example) bridging to get 600W @ 8ohms could be helpful

Is it easy to bridge two Ncore400?
Just to connect 2 units (+ and -)to 1 speakerpost(L and R))
Jerry

Big Red Machine

« Reply #102 on: 22 Apr 2012, 10:06 pm »
I like a good project and especially one I can put to good use.  My biggest concern is using a single ended preamp and not inducing noise, even if I were to set these amps up as balanced.  Having the amps balanced is a waste if fed from a SE pre isn't it?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #103 on: 22 Apr 2012, 10:07 pm »
I like a good project and especially one I can put to good use.  My biggest concern is using a single ended preamp and not inducing noise, even if I were to set these amps up as balanced.  Having the amps balanced is a waste if fed from a SE pre isn't it?
Have you read the data sheet that I've linked for you?
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=105527.msg1079142#msg1079142

I use the same pre that you do so why do you think it would be an issue? 

mgalusha

« Reply #104 on: 22 Apr 2012, 10:10 pm »

Not if the cabling is configured properly. There are examples in the documentation on how to connect to a single ended source and keep the noise down. I know jtwrace is using a SE preamp and he had no issues that I know of using a RCA/XLR adapter.

Urp, Jason posted about the same time I did. :)

Big Red Machine

« Reply #105 on: 22 Apr 2012, 11:18 pm »
Have you read the data sheet that I've linked for you?
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=105527.msg1079142#msg1079142

I use the same pre that you do so why do you think it would be an issue?

Looked at it and I am not rebuilding 26 foot interconnects.  I built them with a pos and neg and a light twist.  I am not going back to shield them which means taking off the covering and recovering as shielded.

JDUBS

« Reply #106 on: 23 Apr 2012, 12:15 am »
I am not going back to shield them which means taking off the covering and recovering as shielded.

Why not?  What kind of wire are you using?

-Jim 

Rclark

« Reply #107 on: 23 Apr 2012, 12:49 am »
Cannot wait to get mine, hopefully shipment after this one, looks like. And again, sad to have missed out on the tube generation, but happy to be able to have amps with such game changing performance and game changing price. Disruptive tech indeed. I can't wait to let them disrupt my eardrums.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #108 on: 23 Apr 2012, 12:56 am »
Looked at it and I am not rebuilding 26 foot interconnects.  I built them with a pos and neg and a light twist.  I am not going back to shield them which means taking off the covering and recovering as shielded.

Well, if you get the NCores, they are so small that you can keep them on the side with your other equipment instead of the center like your TRL Samson's. But you need to audition them first to come to that conclusion.

Best,
Anand.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #109 on: 23 Apr 2012, 01:28 am »
Why not?  What kind of wire are you using?

-Jim

An incredible pain in the arse to re-do those cables with 12 pieces of 14 gauge in them.  This is why I am very interested in seeing others use single ended cabling and what their results are.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #110 on: 23 Apr 2012, 02:01 am »
I'm entirely capable of building these amps.  I'm just setting out the question so when other folks get their amps up and running I want to know if they encounter noise issues and what they may need to do.  If they work fine with single ended cabling longer than a few meters then I will be encouraged to try them out.

Certainly a balanced system reduces possibility for noise but I cannot go there and want to see how others fair.  I think it is a potential issue for others to know as well so I'd like to see users tell us their configurations so we can see how this pans out.

I see the build of the amp much easier than putzing with those cables again (because they are so long).  Working inside an open area of a metal box would be a relief than cramping my fingers up stringing wire into sheathing! 

Well, if you get the NCores, they are so small that you can keep them on the side with your other equipment instead of the center like your TRL Samson's. But you need to audition them first to come to that conclusion.

Best,
Anand.

There is a slight possibility I could audition these sooner rather than later.  We'll see.  A side by side with the Samsons would be very cool. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #111 on: 23 Apr 2012, 02:07 am »
I'm entirely capable of building these amps.  I'm just setting out the question so when other folks get their amps up and running I want to know if they encounter noise issues and what they may need to do.  If they work fine with single ended cabling longer than a few meters then I will be encouraged to try them out.

Certainly a balanced system reduces possibility for noise but I cannot go there and want to see how others fair.  I think it is a potential issue for others to know as well so I'd like to see users tell us their configurations so we can see how this pans out.

I see the build of the amp much easier than putzing with those cables again (because they are so long).  Working inside an open area of a metal box would be a relief than cramping my fingers up stringing wire into sheathing! 

There is a slight possibility I could audition these sooner rather than later.  We'll see.  A side by side with the Samsons would be very cool.
My interconnects are 12' long and TomS' interconnects are 20' long.  No issues with either system and we both use the same pre as you.  Again, that should pretty much take care of your concern.

TomS

« Reply #112 on: 23 Apr 2012, 02:17 am »
My DH Labs Air Matrix IC's are 8 meters with XLR's on both ends and a 6" RCA-XLR adapter with commensurate jumpering on the Dude end. No noise in my setup at all. The NCores rock big time, as mentioned by many others.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #113 on: 23 Apr 2012, 02:44 am »
My DH Labs Air Matrix IC's are 8 meters with XLR's on both ends and a 6" RCA-XLR adapter with commensurate jumpering on the Dude end. No noise in my setup at all. The NCores rock big time, as mentioned by many others.

That's a start.  I have no idea if the shielding, while not being used in full balanced mode, of the cabling is helping.  Can I send you some predecessor cables of mine that are shorter than 8 meters to try out?  They are built like what I have now, just less wire in them, but unshielded all the way through.  With the set up I have now I would expect no noise but I am not sure if the Samsons are "grounded" in the either of the same schemes you can build the NCores.  It probably is not an issue, but a drop in would be the super duper ideal scenario all else staying the same.  I don't want too much!

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #114 on: 23 Apr 2012, 02:49 am »
That's a start.  I have no idea if the shielding, while not being used in full balanced mode, of the cabling is helping.  Can I send you some predecessor cables of mine that are shorter than 8 meters to try out?  They are built like what I have now, just less wire in them, but unshielded all the way through.  With the set up I have now I would expect no noise but I am not sure if the Samsons are "grounded" in the either of the same schemes you can build the NCores.  It probably is not an issue, but a drop in would be the super duper ideal scenario all else staying the same.  I don't want too much!
My cables are unshielded.  No issues. 

http://silversonic.com/docs/products/Revelation.html

kevinh

« Reply #115 on: 23 Apr 2012, 04:02 pm »
Is it easy to bridge two Ncore400?
Just to connect 2 units (+ and -)to 1 speakerpost(L and R))
Jerry

Yes it is pretty easy, Bruno's reply when asked:

Yes you can bridge two modules just like UcD (and just like UcD it helps to strap a small cap across the load to insure the two amps synchronize). This would make a 1200W/4ohm amp (NC1200 is 1200W/2ohm).

So 600W/8ohm

As per the Hypex UcD Faq

You need to drive one of the modules 180 degrees out of phase by simply swapping the negative and positive input signal wires. Tie the loudspeaker between both positive loudspeaker outputs of the amplifiers and connect a 47n/200V capacitor across the loudspeaker terminals at the amplifiers’ side. This set-up is most applicable for 8 Ohm loads since each amplifier ‘sees’ 4 Ohms with an 8 Ohm load attached. A 4 Ohm load might trigger the current protection leaving you with not nearly as much power as you might have expected.

This setup will work into 4 ohm with the Ncore (not with the UcD modules) and will deliver a lot of power into 2 ohm but at that point in bridged mode there could be current limiting. $3k for 1200/4ohm with the reported quality is a game changer for the amp market, if you need that much power.

GS

« Reply #116 on: 23 Apr 2012, 06:19 pm »

Yes it is pretty easy, Bruno's reply when asked:

So 600W/8ohm

As per the Hypex UcD Faq

This setup will work into 4 ohm with the Ncore (not with the UcD modules) and will deliver a lot of power into 2 ohm but at that point in bridged mode there could be current limiting. $3k for 1200/4ohm with the reported quality is a game changer for the amp market, if you need that much power.

Thanks for the info.
Jerry

Bear

« Reply #117 on: 24 Apr 2012, 01:06 am »
Anyone see any issues using a pre-amp and speakers with these specs?  Steinberg MR816 as pre with balanced outputs of nominal output of +4db@600ohms(or a behringer deq2496 balanced outpus 100ohm@ 1khz) => Ncore's => 89db@4ohm monitors?  Just triple checking as I don't wish to fry anything. :oops:

Thanks

kevinh

« Reply #118 on: 24 Apr 2012, 01:14 am »
Eagerly awaiting your feedback. :thumb:

Wondering how a B1 buffer would fare. Has anyone tried it?

Not that I am aware of. Bruno recommencd a balanced input and some of the folks at DIY audio have built balanced B1's.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #119 on: 25 Apr 2012, 05:11 pm »
I think that, once you hear the Ncore 400 anywhere, you will realize there isn't much need for direct comparison. This is not your typical flavor of the month, here and gone, temporary phenomenon. It is the real deal. Something altogether new.

I can tell by the tone of many of the comments that you just don't get what is being said here. I figured I would take Jason up on his offer to send them to me and then go back to my Yamaha because I'm just too damn lazy anymore to care if it is better. But it was so emphatically better and so infinitely more lifelike that even jaded, cynical curmudgeonly me had to take action. Mine are in the pipeline and I'm scheduled for week 21.

Frankly, I would advise anyone who is curious enough to be following this thread to just take the plunge and place your order. The lines are getting longer.