Diffuser Placement

soulforged

Diffuser Placement
« on: 4 Jun 2018, 07:58 pm »
Just ordered a box of Impressions panel. Had a couple of questions regarding their usage -

Does the orientation of the design matter? As it do they necessarily need to be horizontal or vertical to be effective?

I live in an apartment and my setup is in the living room which has the patio door on one side. Can I expect any positive results by sticking the panel to the patio glass door?

I have a TV between my speakers (blame it on the small apartment again) and windows behind the TV. Should I look at panelling the window as well (at least when I am listening)?

Hope these questions not as stupid as I fear. Thanks in advance

:cheers:

Hipper

Re: Diffuser Placement
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jun 2018, 02:13 pm »
I've no experience of using the Impression series, which seem to combine both absorbers and diffusors.

They come in different patterns so my guess is that the linear patterns (Digiwave, Gatsby, Mod Geometric)would have different effects if vertical or horizontal but that the other less linear ones would not.

You should also ask about the distance of the diffusors from your ears when listening as they require a certain distance for them to do their work (the QRD diffusors for example require around six feet I believe).

jriggy

Re: Diffuser Placement
« Reply #2 on: 5 Jun 2018, 03:23 pm »
I’m not sure but I don’t think the impression Series needs a distance to ear, as there is no depth or wells. Just esentually flat surface with gaps to the absorption layer.

I would think for side wall placement you’d want to diffuse horizontally, which would put the design vertical.

But if one side is all glass, you might do better with absorption-only panels there instead of the combo. ??