NOH & Ultrapath bp

mls64

NOH & Ultrapath bp
« on: 12 Dec 2003, 04:43 am »
Has anyone done a serious comparison of the NOH and the Welborne Ultrapath dp?  I'm in the market for a pre-amp (line level) and have pretty much narrowed it down to these two.  My system is in change right now, going from vintage Audio Research gear to home-brew 2A3 single-ended monoblocks with Hedlund horns.  I want a better line stage, as my old SP-3 is too noisy and not musical enough to make the most of the 2A3/horn setup.  Sources include Rega P25/Dynavector 20X and CD transport w/Monarchy D/A.

Thanks!

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
NOH & Ultrapath bp
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2003, 04:22 pm »
Hello!

I never comment on competing equiptment other than to say in this case that Ron is a great guy and if you end up with one of his products I know he'll look after you!

There was a fellow who might know. He put a pair in an ultrapath (replacing the pot) - his results are posted here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=1577&sid=763dcae8056cebb35fd046657b25793a

Maybe you could PM him for further info.

Many Thansk!

John Chapman
www.bentaudio.com

mls64

NOH & Ultrapath bp
« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2003, 05:54 pm »
Quote from: John Chapman
Hello!

I never comment on competing equiptment other than to say in this case that Ron is a great guy and if you end up with one of his products I know he'll look after you!

John Chapman

Being in sales myself, I most appreciate your taking the "high road" by not commenting on other products, but focusing on the merits of your own product(s).  What I'm looking for is a comparison of how each pre-amp sounds, and maybe the positives about each.  There are a few downsides that I'm already aware of, i.e. the limits of a passive vs active pre-, and the limits or maybe user-friendliness of a battery supply.  So, what I want to hear about are the music reproduction characteristics of each pre-amp, in order to help me make the right decision for my system.  Any takers?
Thanks!

gonefishin

NOH & Ultrapath bp
« Reply #3 on: 13 Dec 2003, 02:37 am »
Hi mls64 :)  

Is the 2A3 amp in your system right now?   Or are you currently building it?

I've only heard the WL Ultrapth-bp preamp once while I was at MAF.  I can't really comment on the UP-bp because that was also the first time I had heard the Oris horns.  It's just impossible to comment on the electronics used in a system when you aren't familiar with the speakers.  I can tell you that the entire package (Oris horns, DRD amps, TT and UP-bp) sounded pretty good.

I have recently bought the NOH preamp in kit form.  How's it sound?  great!  Forget everything you've heard about passive amps when applying it to this Tx102 based preamp.  This thing sounds great from low frequency to high...from high(ish) volume to whisper quiet.  The music is just so darn clean and clear...but without any bass or dynamics missing at all.  It's really a joy to own/listen to.  You shouldn't have any problems with noise from the preamp either...I can't hear a lick of noise coming from my DIY edgarhorn speakers.

I'd love to hear an update on what you decide...keep me/us updated :)

and have fun!

(by the way...nice system)

mls64

NOH & Ultrapath bp
« Reply #4 on: 13 Dec 2003, 03:46 am »
Quote from: gonefishin
Hi mls64 :)  

Is the 2A3 amp in your system right now?   Or are you currently building it?...

I'm building them.  Have the chassis (solid copper) punched, need to do a bit more polishing, then assemble.  MQ iron, all top-quality parts like Cerafines for the ps (found some in Taiwan before they were all gone), Black Gates, Kiwame and Mills resistors, etc etc etc.  They will be nice.

Forget everything you've heard about passive amps when applying it to this Tx102 based preamp. This thing sounds great from low frequency to high...from high(ish) volume to whisper quiet. The music is just so darn clean and clear...but without any bass or dynamics missing at all. It's really a joy to own/listen to. You shouldn't have any problems with noise from the preamp either...I can't hear a lick of noise coming from my DIY edgarhorn speakers.

This is consistent with everything I've read so far.  Eliminating the resistor-based volume control is very attractive.  I also like the fact that it is passive, but without some of the drawbacks of traditional passive pre-amps.  

(by the way...nice system)

Thanks!  It will only get better!