MMDC I VS.???????

hobbitsnot

MMDC I VS.???????
« on: 20 Apr 2005, 06:09 am »
To all the de cappo owners out there...What do you feel is the closest speaker that compares the de cappo for around the 1k canadian new or used???

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: MMDC I VS.???????
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2005, 06:23 am »
Quote from: hobbitsnot
To all the de cappo owners out there...What do you feel is the closest speaker that compares the de cappo for around the 1k canadian new or used???
The closest speaker that sounds like a de cappo....is a de cappo. Your posts have all stated your desire for a de cappo...so...why not hold out till you have the money for a pair ? Just my opinion....(get what you really want...even if it takes some time). :thumb:

hobbitsnot

MMDC I VS.???????
« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2005, 07:00 am »
hehehehehe.....Cause I dont want to miss something that may be better or equal to. It's hard to "guess" at what I'd like cause I have no way of hearing them. I have to rely on the good people of this forum for info. although I like what I've read about the Sapphire XL....

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
MMDC I VS.???????
« Reply #3 on: 20 Apr 2005, 07:09 am »
Quote from: hobbitsnot
hehehehehe.....Cause I dont want to miss something that may be better or equal to. It's hard to "guess" at what I'd like cause I have no way of hearing them. I have to rely on the good people of this forum for info. although I like what I've read about the Sapphire XL....
Trust me....you never miss anything by waiting. Another opportunity always comes along. But I would not fly blind....try to hear some speakers....somewhere. :)

catholic taste

MMDC I VS.???????
« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2005, 02:10 am »
As I listen to “Come as you are” by NIRVANA (yes grunge), I realize again just how good these Decapos are. A great fan of Naim/Neat/Royd rock combo’s, the bass propels the music but stays clean, thumping the walls toward a standing wave but never blurring the vital PRAT. The lazy stirring of cymbals allowing Kurt Cobans voice to float between the speakers like a ghostly reminder of his early demise. It is just fantastic to hear 15watts of PP EL84 turn a silver disk into so much excitement. Do yourself a favour and buy the best it is much cheaper in the long run..

mcrespo71

MMDC I VS.???????
« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2005, 02:50 am »
Dream on if you can get a speaker that sounds like the MMDCI for 1K.  Just buy a pair of used MMDCI's for $1500.  I just sold my MMDCI's for a pair of Neat Acoustic Mystiques, but they don't sound that similar- aside from both being musical and quick.

Michael

hobbitsnot

MMDC I VS.???????
« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2005, 04:03 am »
Michael:

How do you mean? you dont like your new speakers as much?

mcrespo71

MMDC I VS.???????
« Reply #7 on: 22 Apr 2005, 12:14 am »
They are just different types of speakers.  I wouldn't say one is way better than the other, though the Neats are definitely better on rock, which is what I listen to most.  

Michael

Jonathan

MMDC I VS.???????
« Reply #8 on: 22 Apr 2005, 01:01 am »
Just curious if anyone out there has heard the Tetra 305 speakers? The (few) reviews I've read are very positive, and the way in which they're described reminds me a bit of the sound of the De Capos.

Also, for whatever it's worth, I have to again recommend the little SonicT amps that are all the rage right now. It's only $20 plus shipping at ecost.com and you can return it if you don't like it. I'm using one per channel, and I'm very impressed.

Terry

the Tetras
« Reply #9 on: 22 Apr 2005, 12:36 pm »
Johnathan,

I heard the Tetras at the Montreal HiFi show. I think they were the 305s although, come to think of it, they may have been the 405s. Smooth, relaxing sound. Not much bass, which you would expect considering they use a 6 1/2 woofer/midrange. I would like to hear them in a better room and, since Tetra is located in my town (Ottawa), I plan to do this some afternoon. One final comment: I thought the speakers at the show were too expensive for what you got. I suspect that fancy cabinet/stand is quite costly to make.

Terry

my apology
« Reply #10 on: 22 Apr 2005, 12:40 pm »
Thats 'Jonathan', not 'Johnathan'  :oops:

Jonathan

MMDC I VS.???????
« Reply #11 on: 22 Apr 2005, 02:43 pm »
Not much bass, which you would expect considering they use a 6 1/2 woofer/midrange. I would like to hear them in a better room

Interesting. I think the 305s actually use only a 4.5" driver for low end; you'd expect a lack of bottom end in this case, but they're rated down to 42 hz. Not too shabby. And like I said, the reviews I've seen are all stellar.

If you happen to get a chance to hear them, please report back. Thanks.

Jon

Terry

MMDC I VS.???????
« Reply #12 on: 23 Apr 2005, 04:32 pm »
I just checked the Tetra brochure that I picked up at the show and it was the 405 that they were using. Actually, this model uses a 6" woofer and is rated down to 44 Hz. They are also $4,750 US. For this kind of money you can do much better, IMHO.

catholic taste

micheal the john paul II of decapo's
« Reply #13 on: 24 Apr 2005, 02:08 am »
Michael, I have the pleasure of one the best Naim dealers in Canada and have to agree the Neats are a force to be reckoned with. While I post this response I have my 3a MM ’s recreating the 500,00 person AC/DC concert I attended. Bringing back memories of my dads old Tandberg with “Well I’m upper upper class high society” of Big Balls making the afternoon of a group of teens. All rock I heard was on tube equipment with vinyl, or recorded vinyl on reel to reel a huge challenge for today’s gear.

T-Dogg

3a MM.
« Reply #14 on: 17 May 2005, 02:54 pm »
For the gentleman looking for something as good as a Reference 3a MM De Capo for under $1000 CAD, I have a solution for you but it will require you to be patient.

I couldn't justify dropping $3k on the MMDCi myself, so I did the next best thing and waited for a pair of 3a Midi Master's- the original 3a MM that the De Capo is a newer copy of.

The MM has the same woofer sans phase plug, and uses what I believe is a Philips tweeter, crappy internal wire, and a cheap capacitor.  The cabinet is also not quite as good as the MMDCi's, but the price was right- $600 bucks.  These are outstanding speakers, especially for the money.  I don't see the point of buying new speakers at all.  I'd rather let someone else pay for the shipping, etc.

I plan to have the internal wiring changed and the capacitor upgraded to a Hovland MusiCap.  In addition, cabinet bracing can be added with relative ease.  I suggest keeping your eyes peeled for a pair of these.

Tyrone

melville

Reference 3a vs Dynaudio
« Reply #15 on: 21 May 2005, 05:39 pm »
I have never heard the DeCapo speakers, but I owned a pair of Royal Virtuosos for a while.  I replaced them with a used pair of Dynaudio 1.3SE speakers ($1600).  The Dyns do all of the things that i value better than the RVs.  They do, however, require a lot more power.  I was using the RVs with a Carissa.  The Dyns have been used alternately with a Blue Circle BC26 and a Moon W-5.  

I really don't want this to sound like Ref 3a bashing.  It's not.  In my system, and for my tastes, the high-power amp/Dynaudio sound worked better than the SET/Royal Virtuoso.  

The point that I am clumsily attempting to make is that an alternative, very good speaker is available (used) for a very reasonable price.