Triode Wire Labs at the New York Audio Show, November 6-8

Triode Pete

Triode Wire Labs is ecstatic in partnering with fellow AC Sponsor Vinnie Rossi as well as Greg Roberts from Volti Audio for the upcoming New York Audio Show 2015, November 6,7,8...

https://www.chestergroup.org/newyorkaudioshow/2015

Come see us in Room 5007! Listening Enhancing Libations to be served!  :beer:

Triode Wire Labs will be premiering a new cable that will be introduced at the New York Show!

See you there!

Pete

Hi-Fi Obsession

Re: Triode Wire Labs at the New York Audio Show, November 6-8
« Reply #1 on: 9 Oct 2015, 06:39 pm »
Well, with Vinnie's gear I know it won't be a power cord or interconnects!  Gotta be either a USB or Digital Coax.  Am I right??

Rob

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #2 on: 9 Oct 2015, 06:44 pm »
Well, with Vinnie's gear I know it won't be a power cord or interconnects!  Gotta be either a USB or Digital Coax.  Am I right??

Rob

Or Speaker Cable?  :P

Vinnie

Triode Pete

« Reply #3 on: 9 Oct 2015, 06:55 pm »

Rob

You are correct, Rob!

I will have the entire TWL loom there with a new BNC-terminated 75 ohm Digital Cable!

Cheers,
Pete

Hi-Fi Obsession

« Reply #4 on: 9 Oct 2015, 08:10 pm »
You are correct, Rob!

I will have the entire TWL loom there with a new BNC-terminated 75 ohm Digital Cable!

Cheers,
Pete

Yes!  I must try it.

Triode Pete

« Reply #5 on: 29 Oct 2015, 11:29 pm »
Triode Wire Labs will be debuting TWO new Interconnect-type cables at the upcoming New York Audio Show, November 6-8.

The "Spirit 75", a true 75 ohm Digital cable with BNC (or 75 ohm RCA) connectors will be featured on Vinnie Rossi's LIO Integrated Amplifier as well as the "TWL USB 1", a Digital USB cable, a joint venture between P.I. Audio Group, LLC and Triode Wire Labs!

Of course, in addition, the entire TWL cable loom (American Speaker Cables, "Spirit" Interconnects and Power Cables, including The "Silver Statement", will be in Room 5007, along with the Volti Audio Vittoras.

Hope to see many of you at the NYAS!

Cheers,
Pete

dpatters

« Reply #6 on: 30 Oct 2015, 12:13 pm »
Awesome Pete :thumb:
That's going to be a great combination of gear!

Congrats on the new cables.

Don P.

Triode Pete

« Reply #7 on: 6 Nov 2015, 11:33 pm »
The system is sounding phenomenal!!!   :thumb:

Crowded too!

Cheers,
Pete

TomS

« Reply #8 on: 7 Nov 2015, 12:06 am »
I'm sure it sounds great. Did you compare the LIO's internal amp with the VR120?

Triode Pete

« Reply #9 on: 7 Nov 2015, 03:07 pm »
I'm sure it sounds great. Did you compare the LIO's internal amp with the VR120?

Hey Tom,
Both amps sound great with Volti's 104 dB efficient speakers... The VR120 has a bit more gain so we had to be careful to match gain / loudness carefully. The sound quality on both is exceptional... splitting hairs at times to hear differences... so can tell they're related!  :thumb:

IMHO, if you have relatively inefficient speakers, the VR120 is the way to go, for a bit more headroom & drive...

Perhaps Vinnie can chime in on the design aspects of each amp...

My $0.02,
Pete

TomS

« Reply #10 on: 8 Nov 2015, 01:52 am »
Hey Tom,
Both amps sound great with Volti's 104 dB efficient speakers... The VR120 has a bit more gain so we had to be careful to match gain / loudness carefully. The sound quality on both is exceptional... splitting hairs at times to hear differences... so can tell they're related!  :thumb:

IMHO, if you have relatively inefficient speakers, the VR120 is the way to go, for a bit more headroom & drive...

Perhaps Vinnie can chime in on the design aspects of each amp...

My $0.02,
Pete
Thanks. I have the LIO now with the internal amp driving TAD's, which are not very efficient. It does a fine job at normal levels, but I'm sure a VR120 would be a nice step up. I really wish I could have heard the LIO with the Volti's  :thumb:

Triode Pete

« Reply #11 on: 8 Nov 2015, 03:14 am »
I think the VR120 will give you the added headroom when you play at "above normal levels" with your TAD's.

Even with the very efficient Volti Vittora's, we were playing some super loud selections, including "The LaGrange Test track" (aka ZZ Top Lagrange) and we seemed to need the added headroom & slam with the VR120's!

My $0.02,
Pete

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 8 Nov 2015, 03:22 am »
Hey Pete,

What a great show today!!!  8)

We did compare the LIO MOSFET AMP to VR120 earlier this morning before the show started, and that was at
relatively low volumes and with light jazz (Norah Jones's first album).   With this kind of stuff, I agree with
Pete's comments here:

The sound quality on both is exceptional... splitting hairs at times to hear differences... so can tell they're related!  :thumb:

But throughout the day, we really stepped it up with regards to highly dynamic and much more complex music, and
at times MUCH higher volume levels, and the VR120 clearly shined with more bass weight, better transient response,
and snappier presentation.  We switched a few more times, and while the LIO MOSFET AMP is very good with the hightly
efficient Volti Vittoras, they LOVED the extra power and remained very clean with powerful orchestral crescendos,
our "La Grange test" (ZZ Top), Blood Sweat and Tears, and so much more great music that we played all day long - much
of which was brought in from show attendees.  LOTS of FUN, awesome sound with the Vittoras, and I'm also very impressed
with Pete's cabling (new USB cable and 75-ohm BNC coax cable both made the digital source sing  :singing:).

Today was non-stop crowds starting at around 11am, and we stated open past 6pm and kept the music going! 

Looking forward to doing it again tomorrow!

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 8 Nov 2015, 03:29 am »
I think the VR120 will give you the added headroom when you play at "above normal levels" with your TAD's.

At times today, we were NOT playing at anything near "normal levels"  :thumb:

But the Vittoras are so clean and take all the power (I believe Greg Roberts rates them at 200wpc, and
his is NOT kidding!) , so you WANT to play it loud and times and let them have their way with you.  They're so
visceral, and don't sound like any other horn speaker out there. 

Sure, $25K for speakers is not chump change, but IMHO, they are easily worth it and one of the best pairs of speakers
that I've heard and would love to live with.  They really do it all!  :o

Vinnie

Triode Pete

« Reply #14 on: 8 Nov 2015, 01:56 pm »
At times today, we were NOT playing at anything near "normal levels"  :thumb:

But the Vittoras are so clean and take all the power (I believe Greg Roberts rates them at 200wpc, and
his is NOT kidding!) , so you WANT to play it loud and times and let them have their way with you.  They're so
visceral, and don't sound like any other horn speaker out there. 

Sure, $25K for speakers is not chump change, but IMHO, they are easily worth it and one of the best pairs of speakers
that I've heard and would love to live with.  They really do it all!  :o

Vinnie

Agreed, Vinnie... and we weren't the only ones saying that!!!

"Proof is in the pudding"... We had Standing Room Only crowds all day long!!!

Cheers,
Pete

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #15 on: 8 Nov 2015, 03:24 pm »
Wish I could have made it.  Great to see you guys are killing it at the show!  :thumb:

The effortless make-you-tap-out loud is cool for sure, but for me one of the greatest strengths hearing this combo was when the system was playing quietly.  This setup can give you so much of the music at even light conversation volume levels that other systems need to have the dial turned up far higher to deliver.  This makes for a system that a lot of people could actually live with day to day, which is what really impressed me about it.  The reference-level at will dynamics just adds to the versatility in enjoying the system. 

I'm curious as to whether the VR120 adds more of a different flavor to the sound or if it really mainly gives the lower midrange more ease with the bigger power on tap.  Hope this combo sees a few more shows in the future for me to find out.  I'm also envious of not getting to hear this rig with a truly dialed in front end.  Pete, raise one among you guys for me tonight.  Congratulations!

Triode Pete

« Reply #16 on: 10 Nov 2015, 07:12 pm »
Some Stereophile feedback from gentleman Art Dudley...

"My last stop on Saturday was the room shared by Volti Audio, Vinnie Rossi Audio, and Triode Wire Labs. This nicely balanced system paired a Palmer Audio turntable/tonearm and Dynavector cartridge with a Vinnie Rossi LIO integrated amplifier that was being used as a preamplifier only ($6775 as equipped—but a full description of Rossi's pricing structure would require more space than is available to me). Amplification honors fell to the new Vinnie Rossi VR120 stereo power amp ($4995), which uses the same ultracapacitor-isolated, twin-bank MOSFET output technology as the Rossi integrated. All cabling was by Triode Wire Labs, and included their new Spirit "75" digital interconnect ($299), which promises true 75 Ohm performance. (It's worth noting that all of TWL's cables are similarly affordable—and that's a beautiful thing.) The loudspeakers were Volti's perennially recommendable Vittora horns ($21,500/pair without Extended Low Frequency module, $25,000 with) in a gorgeous quilted bubinga veneer."

Cheers,
Pete
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2015, 09:59 pm by Triode Pete »

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #17 on: 10 Nov 2015, 07:34 pm »
 No surprise to me. My loom of choice. My customer base has switched from their looms to TWL and no turning back. Neutral as neutral does oh my !!!!

charles

Onwatershipdown

« Reply #18 on: 10 Nov 2015, 07:42 pm »
Last year the Voltis were amazing... And in 2014 the Lio integrated was on Harbeth SHL5s and it was magical. I'm already pretty sure that I'll be getting a LIO to complement my Druids, my friend Todd and I brought tracks to Check out on the various systems... The Volti-Lio system dug really deep into Radiohead on LP, as well as my 1989 Redbook recording of Ivan the Terrible's overture. This is an orchestral piece with hard dynamic swings and a chorus in Russian, A very detailed track. I was not wanting for detail, dynamism, balance, or imaging in any way. This setup could easily be anybody's last, (though Vittorias would never fit in any NYC apartment I could ever own, I'll be sticking to Druids).

Also noteworthy to my ears were the Audio Note Offerings. On paper, I should've hated these speakers. Oversized two ways without bracing, and rear ports dumping copious amounts of bass air into corner walls. But when I walked into a room showcasing the AN-J speakers, they sounded warm and sexy.  I loved it. the lowest octave was gently and pleasantly rolled off. They were a positive example Of how great audio products practice the sin of omission, as opposed to bad ones which practice the sins of addition.
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2015, 09:32 pm by Onwatershipdown »

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #19 on: 11 Nov 2015, 03:48 am »
Hi Onwatershipdown,

Thanks for visiting our room at the NYAS'15!

recording of Ivan the Terrible's overture. This is an orchestral piece with hard dynamic swings and a chorus in Russian, A very detailed track.

That was a great piece to test those dynamic swings - and test for how well a system conveys the emotion of the piece!

Thanks for bring it, and Radiohead's OK Computer  :thumb:

Vinnie