AVA amps and power cords

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: AVA amps and power cords
« Reply #20 on: 24 Dec 2008, 06:43 pm »
Here we go again. Keep it up boys and this whole thread will be deleted -

AGAIN!  :roll:

Unfortunately that's usually the case when folks can't stick with opinions that are from gathered from experience or experiences. Someone always has to come out with the jokes which do little but add fuel to the trashbin fire. Also unfortunately, I have a tendency of responding to stupidity with some of my own. :jester: It's a weakness of mine unfortunately but at least I can admit it where most won't.. :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

avahifi

« Reply #21 on: 24 Dec 2008, 07:03 pm »
Hi Guys, its Christmas and time for good will and cheer.  The opinions over audio accessories will never end and its not productive to beat it to death again here.  Everyone hears what they hear.  We will loose a few sales because of no removeable power cord, and make a few sales because not doing this kept the cost down a bit.  It's OK.

Enjoy the music, enjoy the holidays, and relax and think good thoughts.

Merry Christmas, and peace to you.

Frank Van Alstine

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #22 on: 24 Dec 2008, 07:30 pm »

Frank Van Alstine

Thanks, Frank. I am, and I will.

Merry Christmas to you, too. I hope the New Year brings you unexpected happiness.

Have fun,
Jerry

orthobiz

« Reply #23 on: 24 Dec 2008, 08:34 pm »
I think I'll go over to 914world.com and start another poll on whether to use synthetic or dinosaur oil in aircooled engines. THAT's good for lots of posts with hurt feelings, flaming etc.

Nah, it's Christmas afterall.

Merry Christmas and thanks for your wonderful products, Frank!!!

And thanks to you guys at AudioCircle!

Paul

pardales

« Reply #24 on: 24 Dec 2008, 09:12 pm »
Hi Guys, its Christmas and time for good will and cheer.  The opinions over audio accessories will never end and its not productive to beat it to death again here.  Everyone hears what they hear.  We will loose a few sales because of no removeable power cord, and make a few sales because not doing this kept the cost down a bit.  It's OK.

Frank Van Alstine

Wise words. I echo them.

FWIW: One of the things that attracted me to Frank's gear was the captive PC's.....and the no-nonsense approach.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #25 on: 24 Dec 2008, 09:24 pm »
FWIW: One of the things that attracted me to Frank's gear was the captive PC's.....and the no-nonsense approach.

Pardales,
The same thing goes here.
However, this latest PC debate got me thinking. So now, I'm tearing apart my blender. I'm installing an IEC connector into it. Then I'm going to hook up a cord that's so fat it'd make a welder jealous. Then, I'm gonna make me some ice-blended egg nog. Man, they ought to come out smoooooth!!! Tastier than ever, I'm guessing. :thumb:
Merry Christmas,
Jerry

Wayner

« Reply #26 on: 24 Dec 2008, 09:39 pm »
If you want to know how cords get their current rating, it is by what you would think, temperature of the copper. As greater and greater amounts of current passing through the conductor makes the copper get hot. When it reaches a certain temperature limit (60c, 75C, 90c) that is it's maximum current handling capacity. It is also based on the type of insulation. Also, because the cord is under 10 feet long, it can be pro-rated by 125% for short term durations (peak power) ha ha.

Hence, some of the reasoning behind a "superconductor" would be to chill the copper, thus increasing its ampacity.

Now I've opened a can of worms  8)

P.S. Made it half way thru Wisconsin and had to turn back. The freeway was like grease (kind of frozen snow).

Wayner

2gumby2

« Reply #27 on: 25 Dec 2008, 11:31 am »
I've enjoyed the comments in this thread and I learned something about power cords along the way. I much prefer captive power cords and I'm glad that is what Frank uses. On amps that I have owned that had IEC plugs, I always used 14 gauge power cords, not because I knew anything about the science, but because I thought if the house is wired with 14 gauage wire then a 14 gauge power cord to the amp should be good enough. Psychologically, I guess it just made me feel good.

Wayner

« Reply #28 on: 25 Dec 2008, 12:22 pm »
Your house wiring is 14 awg because you have circuits connected to a 15 amp breaker. 16 awg wire for home wiring is not acceptable.

Merry Christmas

Wayner  :xmas:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #29 on: 25 Dec 2008, 07:51 pm »
Your house wiring is 14 awg because you have circuits connected to a 15 amp breaker. 16 awg wire for home wiring is not acceptable.

Merry Christmas

Wayner  :xmas:

And neither are captive power cords. :deadhorse:This message has been brought to y'all from the OTHER SIDE. :thumb:

As Frank put it, we will hear what we will hear and I can live with that. :D Maybe those of you who continue to start power cord threads in the AVA Circle for the last 5 years (DO THE SEARCH) can learn to do the same??? Or not. :lol:

Merry Christmas,
Robin

turkey

« Reply #30 on: 26 Dec 2008, 03:32 pm »
Here we go again. Keep it up boys and this whole thread will be deleted -

AGAIN!  :roll:

Threads on wire often end with a giant flushing sound. :)

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #31 on: 26 Dec 2008, 05:04 pm »
If Frank thought that a different power cord would improve the sound of his products, he would have undoubtedly installed a different power cord.  He is constantly refining the electronics.  Surely, with this debate raging for years, Frank and his employees and his consultants have considered the validity of other power cords.  These threads usually appear to me to be more of a debate about whether Frank decided, twenty or thirty years ago, that "a power cord is a power cord" and that he won't budge on this position despite some potential customers' preferences to choose their own power cords. Maybe someday, as an cost-added option, he'd install an IEC socket on his products to allow the user to choose his or her own power cord, although I suspect that Frank would begin receiving complaints about power cord-related problems, such as hum (if it were a three-prong IEC socket that was grounded to the chassis), compatibility, etc.. However, even though I don't personally know if different power cords would make any difference in my systems' sound, and I don't tinker with the specific components, I think that I understand that some audio enthusiasts would prefer to make their own decisions about the "accessories."  With many manufacturers, the power cord is a user-replaceable accessory, and with Frank, the power cord is an integral part of the component.

ctviggen

« Reply #32 on: 26 Dec 2008, 06:59 pm »
I've enjoyed the comments in this thread and I learned something about power cords along the way. I much prefer captive power cords and I'm glad that is what Frank uses. On amps that I have owned that had IEC plugs, I always used 14 gauge power cords, not because I knew anything about the science, but because I thought if the house is wired with 14 gauage wire then a 14 gauge power cord to the amp should be good enough. Psychologically, I guess it just made me feel good.

12 gauge wire is used for 20 amp circuits, and I typically use this gauge when wiring circuits in my house, as then I could make the circuit 20 amp should I desire to do so.  Also, it's not that much more expensive to use 12 gauge, although it is harder to work with 12 gauge than 14 gauge. 

jhm731

« Reply #33 on: 26 Dec 2008, 08:33 pm »
I've been following the AVA 440H review here and I have some interest in the power cords Frank supplies with his amps. 

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=62866.msg568081;topicseen

The reviewer seems to be disappointed with the 16 gauge power cord that came on his 440H. I've always thought that Frank was probably a smart enough amp designer to choose an adequate power cord for his products. I own two Ultra 550s and an Ultra 350 and I've been very happy with them, but I have wondered if I ever decided to bridge the two 550s to power some big Magnepans (or whatever else I might need serious power for) if the "skinny" cords would be able to carry the current for that much power. I'm not an engineer so I'm probably showing my ignorance here, but I would like to know a little about the science of choosing the right gauge of power cord for the most extreme use of the product within its design parameters.

For the record.

I wasn't worried that the 16g cord would effect the SQ or current flow.

As I stated in my review, I just would have preferred to use my own DIY power cables which I built to fit my set up.

I told this to Frank in a private email.

He choose to only make public that I was disappointed about the captive power cord.

Happy Holidays.

rcag_ils

« Reply #34 on: 27 Dec 2008, 04:01 pm »
The advantage of the detachable power cord over the captive one is when swapping out equipment, all ones have to do is to reach to the back and disconnect it, instead of disconnecting it at the power outlet, then pull it through all the other existing cables and wires from the other equipment.

Wayner

« Reply #35 on: 27 Dec 2008, 05:37 pm »
When you do that, make sure all of the power is off. If the unit has standby power, I wouldn't recommend unplugging at the IEC socket, but rather at the outlet. Remember, a cord unplugged while current is passing through it, even a small amount will cause an circuit break arc. Lots of people get into a bad habit of unplugging things when they are still running. This will sooner or later (depending on current amount) start destroying either the plug or the outlet thru a continuous blast of miniature arc flashes.

Wayner

jhm731

« Reply #36 on: 2 Jan 2009, 07:39 am »
Wayner - I'm still waiting for you to provided details about all the "potential problems and other weird manifestations," from using IEC connectors and after market power cords.

I've been using using equipment with IEC connectors and after market/DIY power cords for 20+ years and never had problem.

Wayner

« Reply #37 on: 2 Jan 2009, 12:31 pm »
You may have not. Others may get the neutral and hot or even ground mixed up with their DIY cords. You think it just can't happen, but it does. I'm sure you know what you are doing.

That may be one of the single largest factors in having captive power cords.

Have a nice one.

Wayner