Mono chassis $49 + shipping

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
Re: Mono chassis $49 + shipping
« Reply #140 on: 23 May 2012, 05:43 pm »
Yeah, this layout makes much more sense, sorry I didn't try it earlier...Mike said he prefers "OD" so I'll re-draw and post later after I get some exercise...ribs in the oven for lunch, yum!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #141 on: 23 May 2012, 06:20 pm »
The output wires are going to be very close to the umbilical from the NC400 > SMPS.  Not so sure I would do that...

TomS

« Reply #142 on: 23 May 2012, 06:57 pm »
The output wires are going to be very close to the umbilical from the NC400 > SMPS.  Not so sure I would do that...
+1

From the data sheet:

12.1 Cable dressing
The NC400 module has exceedingly low distortion. This makes it very easy for extraneous causes to
add much more distortion and colouration than the amplifier itself. The first major cause of such
distortion is direct magnetic crosstalk from the supply cable into the audio input or the loudspeaker
output. This is minimized in several ways:
• Run the audio and power supply cables away from each other.
• Tie-wrap the supply cable to form a tight bunch.
• Tightly twist all loudspeaker cabling inside the chassis.

Why take a chance when you have a better option that works?

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #143 on: 23 May 2012, 07:44 pm »
Got it...thanks, you saved me from finding this in the manual, which I planned to do...

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #144 on: 24 May 2012, 12:43 am »
Tom and Jason:
The last item...IIRC, on the rear panel, viewed from the rear, Jason sited binding posts approximately center and the XLR far left, while Tom chose the opposite. 

The center terminal has the shorter wire, the far left terminal wire is a bit longer.  No wires cross any others in this overall layout.   

I can't decide which seems better.  On what did you base your choices?

Thanks a ton for your help. 

Buyers:
Sorry this took longer than expected.   

I'll post the final base drawing (outside view) in a few minutes.

TomS

« Reply #145 on: 24 May 2012, 01:24 am »
Either one is fine. I just wanted the lowest level signal (inputs) furthest from the power bundle. It just looked like in your layout the BP's would be right on top of the power bundle and wires aligned the same direction.

mjock3

« Reply #146 on: 24 May 2012, 08:27 pm »
What PCB?
Me, thanks.

If you don't mind, how does one do stenciling?

Thanks

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #147 on: 24 May 2012, 08:44 pm »
If you don't mind, how does one do stenciling?

Thanks

Laser Engraver

roscoeiii

« Reply #148 on: 24 May 2012, 08:52 pm »
Laser Engraver

Yup, that'll work.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #149 on: 24 May 2012, 09:44 pm »
Rear panel on this image: single XLR audio input at bottom, two binding posts vertically spaced 40mm around center.  I chose this because the audio input wires are easier to bend back to the bottom corner vs. the speaker cables. 

Rear panel diagram coming later today. 

This is final.  If Jason OK's I propose to start a new thread after posting the rear panel with total cost including final delivery, only authorized reply is "In, quantity X, faceplate black or silver" (same price), no voting on anything-period, black chassis only.

Mike said white lazer etching over black only $10 if you have a logo or whatever.  Note: white etched on silver face is barely visible.  Hypex said OK to etch "Ncore" logo as long as Ncore amp is inside!

I wait for Mike to email shipping weight per chassis to better estimate shipping weight from me to you.  I'll contribute at least $10ea x 6 ($60) toward total cost as if I was also subject to the final delivery fee. 

On the one hand it seems to have taken much longer than expected to consider placement for two boards (one only 3.5" round), AC, input, and output.  Frankly at first this wasn't much fun.  But I'm happy with the final results now and that brings a sense of satisfaction and some accomplishment.  As long as the holes are placed correctly I think we'll all be pretty happy with this.  I'm convinced placement is ideal.     

We're deeply indebted to Jason, TomS, and JohnR for the forum's help in this project.  Good on 'em!   :thumb:

« Last Edit: 29 May 2012, 03:47 am by James Romeyn »

Ambiant

« Reply #150 on: 26 May 2012, 12:32 pm »
Hi James,

I've recently stumbled upon this site and read your thread with interest. I might fancy a couple myself. Just a couple of questions:

Has the layout changed again, I thought the favourite was now the one in reply #136; seems to make the most sense to me...

I live in Switzerland so can you ask Mike if he would send 2 of them directly to me? It whould work out cheaper and be less hassle for you.

What is the situation with the lazer engraving; what will it cost and can one have it without the white powder, i.e. just the engraving?

Cheers,
Anthony

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #151 on: 27 May 2012, 03:51 am »
Hi James,

I've recently stumbled upon this site and read your thread with interest. I might fancy a couple myself. Just a couple of questions:

Has the layout changed again, I thought the favourite was now the one in reply #136; seems to make the most sense to me...

Anthony,
Thanks for your interest. 

Drawing post #136: Yes, the AC mains input and XLR music input are shorter than above (especially the AC mains).  But the speaker cable output is much closer to, and worse could run parallel to, the PS-to-amp umbilical cord.  Hypex instruct users to generally avoid this situation.  Intuitively #136 seems better than above but it's actually worse. 

I live in Switzerland so can you ask Mike if he would send 2 of them directly to me? It whould work out cheaper and be less hassle for you.

Yes, I'll ask Mike as soon as TrungT submits me the CAD file so I can submit it to Mike. 

What is the situation with the lazer engraving; what will it cost and can one have it without the white powder, i.e. just the engraving? 

Again, I'll ask Mike.  $10 for sample he sent as email attachment, large and rather gaudy font for the chassis model number. 

Curious if you don't mind me asking: What do you consider etching? 

regards,
James

Ambiant

« Reply #152 on: 27 May 2012, 09:52 am »
Hi James,

thanks fro the quick reply!

yup I know what you mean with the wires; definately doesn't look so good in 2D, but it's a 3D build and if you put the speaker posts at the top of the enclosure it will look like Mike's (mgalusha) build from the audio circle - nice picture here:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=105527.0

In this case the wires don't intersect. They get close to each other, as they will in any layout because of the proximity of the connections on the NC400 itself. Anyhow after that the speaker wires and the umbilical cord dissapear at 90 degrees to each other. Where do the connects and wires go on your drawing?

For the engraving I was going to put a little logo on it; I used to run a radio show on Kiss FM in Berlin called Confusion Control and have made a little logo for it - not sure which one to use, what do you think?

or

I think I prefer the top one. It seems like $ 10 is great for the engraving, but as you said yourself the sample showed does look gaudy. I'd go for black and don't want the logo to shine out like that. A really dark blue would be nice, but otherwise it would be OK without any colour so you don't notice the logo until you go up close.

Just so you know I'm still playing around with the idea of sticking both NC400 into one box. If the layout is done carefully so there is no interference are you still more likely to get a better sound using mono blocks, or is it more one of those aesthetic things?

This is what I'd probably do with a one-box solution, although your bulk purchase is tempting too :?

Of course if I only use one PS then I don't even get the umbilical and AC wires crossing and the designer said somewhere online that he thinks apart from the max power output it should make any sonic difference, although I know a few people here think it does, much as he prophesied. That would be using a Galaxy Maggiorato (23 X 23 cm) as per here:

http://www.modushop.biz/ecommerce/cat154_l2.php?n=1

Cheers,
Anthony

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #153 on: 28 May 2012, 04:35 am »
Anthony,

As Sean of TV Show Psyche often says, "I've seen it both ways".  I appreciate very much HT CoZ's layout choice and mgalusha knows what he's doing.  In seeing the two boards laid out both ways in person, with all cords connected on the boards, in the area of the base panel, I chose the later design and my subjective evaluation is it's more consistent with Hypex' notes.  I'm certain others might disagree and that's fine.   

Nice graphic design!