Suggestions for config of surround speakers

Big Red Machine

Suggestions for config of surround speakers
« on: 26 Jun 2008, 07:34 pm »
So I still have non-Salk surround speakers in my 4 back columns.  I have found out that there is content in the 40 to 50 hz range in surround sound but of course it is not always there (recording dependent).  Since my processor will allow me to cross over as low as 40 hz on each of the side and back speaker pairs I was considering full range surrounds.

I'm envious of the HTs I see where folks are using full range speakers but am not necessarily keen on spending the dough for the woofage if the general consensus is that the duty cycle is so small it is a waste.  Another option would be to only make the sides for 5.1 use full range and have the rears for 7.1 be w/o.

What say you?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Suggestions for config of surround speakers
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jun 2008, 07:53 pm »
Well, I wasn't going to step into a manufacturers board, but since you haven't received any thoughts on the matter I'll give my $0.02:

Go full range in the rears. By all means, absolutely.
What you may consider wasted money on seldom used content, well.... We've all wasted money on the small stuff haven't we?  :wink:  I don't know exaclty how much you're talking financially for Salk rears, but I'm sure they're not the kind of speakers you'd buy without putting some thought behind first. You've got a nice HT room dude, Rear content can be pretty exciting stuff when you're getting everything they have to offer. If you aren't getting everything then you're selling yourself, and your room, short.
I say go for it.

Bob