B&W 802 D vs Soundscape 8

cop1s

B&W 802 D vs Soundscape 8
« on: 16 Jan 2013, 09:34 pm »
At the same price , which one do you choose between the B&W 802 D and the Soundscape 8 ? Why ?

Nuance

Re: B&W 802 D vs Soundscape 8
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2013, 10:25 pm »
This thread is going to start a war! :D

Okay, let's be honest here, since this thread was started in the Salk Forum I think we all know which speaker will be preferred.  With that said, I'll happily answer your question.

I'd hands down choose the SoundScape 8 because it outperforms the B&W in every way to my ears.  The bass is tighter with more punch (perhaps a lower woofer Q?), the midrange is more defined and detailed and doesn't beam off-axis like the 802D does, and the tweeter on the 802D is just too bright for my ears.  In comparison, the RAAL ribbon is more accurate sounding, with better timbre and tone reproduction without losing detail.  Each instrument - even brands of instruments - have a certain pitch and tone, and that along with the harmonics is what gives it its unique sound (if I understand that correctly), so reproducing the proper tone/timbre is extremely important in order to portray each instrument as what it is.  You wouldn't want a flute to sound like a wood instrument, right?  I feel the SoundScape 8 does a much better job at telling the listening exactly which instruments are playing, provided they are familiar with what those instruments should sound like, of course.  I hope that makes sense.

One other obvious difference between the two speakers: price and customization.  I know you said "at the same price," but they don't cost the same, unless you're getting a good discount from a dealer.  So let's say they are the same price and turn our focus to customization.  You cannot fully customize the aesthetics of the 802D, but you can with the SS8.  You want Ferrari red paint and high gloss with white racing stripes?  Cool - you pay for it and you'll get it.  You want a design stenciled on the inside of each speaker?  Sure, Salk can do that.  And it'll still cost less than the 802D. :D

Hope that helps.

budt

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2013, 10:39 pm »
  The 802D is an ok speaker. The 802 Diamond on the other hand is a very good speaker. Anyone who says they sound the same are talking out their #$@# ...

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2013, 10:47 pm »
I was at a B&W dealer today who also sells Wilson.  I was there for other than listening reasons but it was coincidental that this same dealer was my guinea pig when I was looking at HT3's years ago.  I went back and forth between his store and the sound of the HT3's and each time could not believe that a manufacturer-direct speaker in the (for me in my choice finish) $7000 price range could kick the butt of a $15k speaker with some really neat high tech features like diamond tweeters and the crossovers mounted in the plinth, solid cabinet with the sexy curved shape, etc.  But at the end of the day that 802D did not have the soundstage, smooth delivery of the top end, or overall excitement that the HT3 gave me.  So it was a no-brainer to go with the HT3 and get exactly the veneer I wanted in high gloss for no where near the upcharge a larger manufacturer would charge and the extended wait in the queue a special has to endure.

B&W is a fine product but for the monies the HT3 was better and SS8 is even moreso.  I would venture that an SS8 at retail would easily be $18k to $24k and those twin 8 inch drivers are fast and impactful.  No fluffy bass.  Is it worth it for you to find an SS8 owner to audition a pair?

yetis

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jan 2013, 11:21 pm »
Wow, this must be the most contested speaker.  Go to any audio forum and you will find the, "what do you think of 80x vs. ---" It happened last year on a Meridian site.  My only comment is that Kal Rubinson owns a set and he gets to listen to a lot of speakers.  So I doubt your going to get a terrible sound with whatever you choose.  They come up now and again on Audiogon.  Just be careful, as there are SO many different versions and they have been making them for ages, so they can get pretty old.  I own a pair of SS8's so that is what I would vote on, but I would be lying if I didn't say that 802s were once on my list...

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/loudspeakers/78307-making-b-w-802-diamond.html

http://www.meridianunplugged.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=148173&page=1

cop1s

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2013, 04:17 am »
I started this topic because I have the upgradite disease .  I own the HT2-TL and I'm interested by the Soundscape 8  , but I can't listen to them . So I try to compare with speakers that I know .
Nuance :I appreciate your comment .
BUDT : I was speaking of the 802 Diamond...

Austin08

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2013, 06:28 am »
I don't have experience with 802dia. But I have a extensive listening time with 803dia. IMO, both sound fantastic but I feel the SS8s sounds more refine and truthfull to the source while the 803 diamond added a touch of dark warm and hazziness color. One of the Salk strongest quality is in the way the vocal sounds - very special, very life. (There are only a few speakers that more or less equal the Salk). Another thing is the SS8s has the ability to draw you in to the music. You are, actually, listening to your music not your gears (something that I feel the B&W lack of)

JerryLove

« Reply #7 on: 17 Jan 2013, 01:41 pm »
For me? If I had to pick right now? I'd take the SS8.

In a more realistic scenario: I'd go spend some real critical listening time with the 802D, though I suspect I would still end up with the SS8.

Why? Firstly because I have many hours listening to the SS8 and was nothing but impressed with its performance. I agree with the posters above that its tweeter and mid are true standouts. I have less experience with the 802D, but I do own the N801 (and 801S2) and like the sound of the SS8 more.

Visually I actually prefer the 802. I really like the unusual shapes and curves that B&W uses; though Salk has a better finish and better choices of wood.

Nuance

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jan 2013, 06:03 pm »
  I would venture that an SS8 at retail would easily be $18k to $24k and those twin 8 inch drivers are fast and impactful.  No fluffy bass.  Is it worth it for you to find an SS8 owner to audition a pair?

Agreed.  It is more of a competitor to the Revel Salon Ultima2 in my opinion, of which I also think is vastly superior to the B&W 802D (yes, the diamond version :)).

cop1s, if you choose the SoundScape 8's (compared to the RAAL HT2-TL) you'll get a sound you're familiar with but it will be more refined, with better timbre/tone accuracy and much better bass.  You'll also have the option to choose the midrange chamber configuration, which directly relates the the sound stage width and depth capabilities and also imaging.  So, while having that familiar "Salk signature" (which is neutral and accurate sounding), you'll still gain improvements and tweakability.  If you choose the B&W you'll get a completely different sound than what you're used to, so just be aware of that. 

As Big Red said, both speakers are good, but in my opinion only one is great.  Happy hunting!

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #9 on: 19 Jan 2013, 10:37 pm »
For me? If I had to pick right now? I'd take the SS8.

Visually I actually prefer the 802. I really like the unusual shapes and curves that B&W uses; though Salk has a better finish and better choices of wood.

Have your cake and hear it too

Soundscape 10s or 20s.  These are sexy