Salks for Home Theater

bight

Salks for Home Theater
« on: 11 Nov 2008, 01:06 am »
Hi guys, I’m new to the site and would appreciate your input.  I’m putting together a dedicated home theatre room in my house which will be used primarily for movies/tv/gaming (less than 10% for music listening).  Since the speakers will be used mainly with the tv (front projector) I want to make sure the center channel is up to the task since it’s my understanding that it’s the most important speaker for movies.  I’ve been doing some research and found lots of praise for the rocket rsc200 center (aka bigfoot) for HT use.  I see Salk has their own big center called monster but it’s more than I want to spend.  The Songcenter is the one that better matches the bigfoot at least in terms of cost.  On paper it seems the bigfoot has the edge due to its 3 way, 4 driver design and lower frequency response.  I’ve searched for reviews of the songcenter but haven’t really found any.  Are there any reviews out there and is there anyone using the songcenter for ht with some thoughts on its performance?  Appreciate any input.

Big Red Machine

Re: Salks for Home Theater
« Reply #1 on: 11 Nov 2008, 01:45 am »
I've owned the Bigfoot.  It's not even in the same league when it comes to clarity and range.  I have the monster V center and it is incredible.  I've recently upgraded to 500 watt monoblocks across the front to fully realize its potential.  Don't scrimp on this speaker.  You are correct, it is the most important and must be up to the task.

You'll also see and hear about it in this upcoming video series:  http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1067783

What state are you in?

bight

« Reply #2 on: 12 Nov 2008, 02:25 am »
Thanks for the response BRM.  I saw some pictures of your setup...nice! :thumb:  Those Salk speakers look impressive and I’m sure they sound amazing.  That says a lot that you had the bigfoot and now you have Salks...although I see your still running rockets for your surrounds but I'm guessing surrounds aren't as important since they don't get used as much.  Regarding your comment on the bigfoot not being in the same league, is that compared to your “monster” or would that also apply to the songcenter?  I would expect that of the monster since it cost almost four times as much as bigfoot.  Everyone that has the songtowers seems very happy with them and they seem like a great value but I get the impression they are being bought and used primarily for music but I'm wanting something strictly for home theater.  By the way I'm in Houston Texas.

R Swerdlow

« Reply #3 on: 12 Nov 2008, 03:51 pm »
...Everyone that has the songtowers seems very happy with them and they seem like a great value but I get the impression they are being bought and used primarily for music but I'm wanting something strictly for home theater.  By the way I'm in Houston Texas.

There was someone posting under the name MickyR who has SongTowers and SongCenter.  I think he lives in the Houston area.  Try sending him a PM.

See this thread http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=47584.0